1.    #1  
    I've just bought a Treo 600 and am using it on the AT&T network.

Unfortunately , it doesn't seem to be as usable as I'd like . My previous phone (a Nokia) used to get much better signal strength (bars + call quality + reception). Agreed , it was a TDMA phone , but at least it worked well

From the reading I have done , it seems like the GSM network ( I live in San Jose,CA) is not as good as it is elsewhere and that may be part of the reason .

I have another 5-7 days before my 30-day trial period runs out . I'd really like to keep it but if I don't get a solution then I might have to return it.

Was exploring antenna boosters but I doubt there is anything available for the Treo 600 . Also, I know there is a Tower update possibility for Sprint/Verizon but what about AT&T ?

Are there any solutions out there that might help ?

Thanks.
    You can get various cellular signal boosters from cellantenna:

http://www.cellantenna.com/index.html

But I would suggest gettinga prl update on your Treo before you return it. Also explore if Cingular has better coverage, and if not, checkout Sprint or Verizon...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  3.    #3  
    <<antenna booster from cellantenna.com>>
    There seem to be quite a few options so is there a recommended solution or should I just try one of the "universal patch/loop" ?

<< prl update >>
    From what I can find , it looks like only Sprint phones can do the PRL updates.
    Or am I mistaken about this and irrespective of it being AT&T Treo 600 , can I just do the usual *2 etc. to get the latest PRL update (10024?)

Unfortunately, my company requires me to stay with AT&T since they are paying my bills
    The reason your coverage changed was because you went you switched AT&T's networks from TDMA to GSM.

In certain areas of the country, AT&T's GSM coverage is nowhere close to it's older TDMA coverage.
    signal boosters don't really work, they're a scam
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    att sucks , there gsm coverage sucks no matter where u are . should have went with t-mobile
  7.    #7  
    Just sounds like more validation of what I'd mentioned .
    (In terms of TDMA v/s GSM). Of course the wierd thing is that the GSM reception is quite decent in the East Coast (in parts of PA). Guess its just the Bay Area (or parts of it anyway) where GSM really sucks.

So, any workarounds possible ? I'm stuck with the At&T network (for reasons mentioned earlier) and I'd really like to keep my Treo but doesn't look like I have any options ...
    Overall I have to admit that the AT&T quality of call is not as good compared to my previous Verizon TM (G?)-510 here in the Bay Area. First reference point was inside my own house....have to go outside w my Treo to have a decent conversation.
    I am also in San Jose, California, and switched back to AT&T because it is the only coverage near the foothills. The signal is great elsewhere, and occasionally goes to Cingular if AT&T is not the strongest. I'm suspecting there is something wrong with your Treo if it is consistently less than 3 or 4 bars around town.
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    I have been having terrible service with ATT lately in Michigan. Can't wait until December so i can switch.
  11.    #11  
    Levyesq , thats interesting . I wonder if there is anything specific that I need to get onto the Cingular network.
    Do I need to specifically try and "Select network ..." when I have a bad signal ?
    Thats kind of wierd as I'd expect this to be done automatically by the Treo.

I know that I'm on Cingular if I power off and power on , but then it resorts to AT&T shortly thereafter .
    Quote Originally Posted by T600Rocks
    Levyesq , thats interesting . I wonder if there is anything specific that I need to get onto the Cingular network.
    Do I need to specifically try and "Select network ..." when I have a bad signal ?
    Thats kind of wierd as I'd expect this to be done automatically by the Treo.

I know that I'm on Cingular if I power off and power on , but then it resorts to AT&T shortly thereafter .
    When in phone mode, select network will allow you to choose Cingular. However, it will eventually go back. There is no way to deselect "auto". I suspect that it prefers its home network unless AT&T is fairly weak. BTW, I was told at the AT&T corporate store on Blossom Hill Road that voicemails, or at least the voicemail icon, might take a while to catch up to you while on Cingular.
    Treo 750 and iPhone.