1.    #1  
    I'm sure most of us have read that Sprint and Verizon are actively rolling out EV-DO systems as we speak. With an EV-DO network and an appropriate handset, data download rates of 300 to 500Kbps should be typical, with burst rates of up to 2.4Mbps theoretically possible. So how will PalmOne answer this? Will the upcoming Ace/610/650/whatever be EV-DO ready? If not, they are going to have some serious competition. The Daxian CU928, it's a PDA & cell phone combo, capable of surfing the net at 2 mps (yep... that's broadband speed!) via Sprint wireless network. Available sometimes this fall.

http://www.brighthand.com/images/Daxian_CU928_2_S.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by duandcc
    I'm sure most of us have read that Sprint and Verizon are actively rolling out EV-DO systems as we speak. With an EV-DO network and an appropriate handset, data download rates of 300 to 500Kbps should be typical, with burst rates of up to 2.4Mbps theoretically possible. So how will PalmOne answer this? Will the upcoming Ace/610/650/whatever be EV-DO ready? If not, they are going to have some serious competition. The Daxian CU928, it's a PDA & cell phone combo, capable of surfing the net at 2 mps (yep... that's broadband speed!) via Sprint wireless network. Available sometimes this fall.

http://www.brighthand.com/images/Daxian_CU928_2_S.jpg
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=406993
    My question, to those of you who are a little more 3G saavy than me, are 1xEV/DO handsets backward compatible with 1xRTT? In other words, if you had a EV/DO handset (say, the Treo Ace, God willing), and you were running it on a network that did not as of yet support EV/DO, would it fall back to 1xRTT, or would it be dead in the water, data-wise?

I guess my concern is that, if the Treo Ace were EV/DO compatible, is it possible that we would have to wait on Sprint to roll out it's network before we saw it?

I guess, the same question goes for GPRS and EDGE or whatever comes after GPRS.
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    My question, to those of you who are a little more 3G saavy than me, are 1xEV/DO handsets backward compatible with 1xRTT? In other words, if you had a EV/DO handset (say, the Treo Ace, God willing), and you were running it on a network that did not as of yet support EV/DO, would it fall back to 1xRTT...?
    Yes. Vz said just that in their recent press releases.
    I called my Sprint rep the day the day the ACE was "confirmed" and inquired about ordering one. Truth be told, first I *****ed about the fact that it was not even a year since I shelled out $599 for my 600, which was not even a year since I had shelled out $499 for my 300... but I digress.

He told me that he would "cut me a deal" on an ACE when they became available, if I really wanted one. But that it would NOT be compatible with the new network Sprint is rolling out, and that the round of new offerings after the ACE are going to be "really cool" and that I would only be calling him to upgrade again soon.

On a side note, when I mentioned the BT capabilities of the ACE, he said that it worked well with headsets and sync-ing, but that if used as a BT modem it cut the surfing bandwidth down considerably and sucked the battery dry. A design issue that Palm may or may not address...

Not sure where "howardforums" gets it's information, and with all the condradicting information that was floating around about the ACE, who knows? Maybe it's a question of "compatible" vs. "compliant".
    you'll be waiting for awhile
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Druce MacFarlane
    My question, to those of you who are a little more 3G saavy than me, are 1xEV/DO handsets backward compatible with 1xRTT? In other words, if you had a EV/DO handset (say, the Treo Ace, God willing), and you were running it on a network that did not as of yet support EV/DO, would it fall back to 1xRTT, or would it be dead in the water, data-wise?

I guess my concern is that, if the Treo Ace were EV/DO compatible, is it possible that we would have to wait on Sprint to roll out it's network before we saw it?

I guess, the same question goes for GPRS and EDGE or whatever comes after GPRS.
    All CDMA DO chipsets can fall back to 1xRTT data. In fact they use the 1x configuration for voice anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by dudemasicus
    Truth be told, first I *****ed about the fact that it was not even a year since I shelled out $599 for my 600, which was not even a year since I had shelled out $499 for my 300... but I digress.
    Dude. Get over it. This is progress. If you're going to be constantly pissed that P1 is going to keep improving its products, then you shouldn't be buying any of them. It's not as if your 600 is going to stop working the day this so-called "ace" will be out. Your 600 will work just fine.

If the biggest problem you have is that you "have to" shell out $499 or $599 a year to have the latest toy, then you appear to have no problems at all.

Jeez.
    Quote Originally Posted by dudemasicus
    I called my Sprint rep the day the day the ACE was "confirmed" and inquired about ordering one. Truth be told, first I *****ed about the fact that it was not even a year since I shelled out $599 for my 600, which was not even a year since I had shelled out $499 for my 300... but I digress.

He told me that he would "cut me a deal" on an ACE when they became available, if I really wanted one. But that it would NOT be compatible with the new network Sprint is rolling out, and that the round of new offerings after the ACE are going to be "really cool" and that I would only be calling him to upgrade again soon.

On a side note, when I mentioned the BT capabilities of the ACE, he said that it worked well with headsets and sync-ing, but that if used as a BT modem it cut the surfing bandwidth down considerably and sucked the battery dry. A design issue that Palm may or may not address...

Not sure where "howardforums" gets it's information, and with all the condradicting information that was floating around about the ACE, who knows? Maybe it's a question of "compatible" vs. "compliant".
    It's not really clear to me that the folks on howardforums know anything more than anyone else. However, DO is included in most of the CDMA chipsets that came on the market after the CDMA chipset in the 600, so it would be up the Palm designers to ignore that capability if they wanted to. There is obviously more software work required, since a DO phone would also have to support 1X for voice.