Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    After almost 7 months of no real updating or feedback, BaseJet has announced it's calling it quits. Service will stay active until 1/2005.

Too bad...
    Crap, that sucks...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    What? What killed them? Snappermail hasn't even made it out of beta yet, so how could that have affected them?
    Quote Originally Posted by wcarlson40
    What? What killed them? Snappermail hasn't even made it out of beta yet, so how could that have affected them?
    Competition, I would guess. There are too many players in the PC-based and server-based wireless email delivery space and most of them considerably larger than BaseJet was.
    Honestly, you need only look at the new wireless sync offering that Verizon provides free to users who sign up for the unlimited data option at $45 a month to know that there is a lot of competition in the arena and it is getting much better much faster than previously seen.

I'm not saying it's cheap and for certain, there are implementation issues. But it's the nature of business. Small guys like BaseJet come in and help establish an arena and then eventually, based upon their success, other more established players come into the market and simple take over.

I never used BaseJet myself, but it certainly had a loyal following.
    What I want to know is, why doesn't Microsoft (or a 3rd party) develop a PDA browser application that can access Exchange email? I don't mean a WAP browser version. MS already has Outlook Mobile Access. Even though I use it in a pinch, the the user experience is CRAP!. You have to click like 12 times to send even the simplest email!

IMHO, Basejet had the best looking UI of any of the Treo email programs. I wish to God that somebody would create a client app that looks and works like Basejet. Redirect programs like Basejet and Snappermail only work if you have your PC on and VPN into your corporate environment. It needs to get email directly from Exchange.

(I know there is LeeDerbishire, but they even admit that the MS architecture makes them require the user to OK each minute step in the process of creating and sending an email).

Anyone who knows MS care to comment?
    PS. So glad I paid for a TWO year subscription to BASEJET
    So, what does everyone think they'll switch to? I'm really bummed about this as well - after having just come back to BaseJet after many years of being away, I was notably impressed with how far their application has come! The seamless integration with my desktop Outlook at work was truly helpful! To be honest, I was perfectly prepared to leave Snappermail entirely (having been rather unimpressed with their 2.0 beta) and start up with BaseJet again. So sorry to see that they're exiting the market.

So what does everyone think they'll switch to? Jake, are you out there? I know you were a big fan of BaseJet - definitely curious to hear your thoughts (I'm assuming you are the same Jake that used to write all the cool hacks for my I300 "back in the day".......)
    Toomer
    Global Posts
    268 Global Posts
    Basejet blew away everything else I tried, including Snapper. I looked at the Vista website, but seemed like where Basejet was a year ago.

I need: True desktop syncrhonization, Push email, html support to some extent and some attachment support. Integrated dialing....

Anything out there that comes close that doesn't cost a fortune like Goodlink?
    Mark F Chinsky
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Send an e-mail to ooobeta@seven.com and ask to participate in their beta test program. Seven is the company that developed the Sprint BC. It looks to be a pretty good app. Of course, there are things that BaseJet did that blew it away (Automatic lookup when addressing, HTML support in messages), but it seems really stable and they appear to be adding features.

Anyone know what will become of the BaseJet source code ? Perhaps this could become part of the open source world ?
    Quote Originally Posted by mulcher
    Basejet blew away everything else I tried, including Snapper. I looked at the Vista website, but seemed like where Basejet was a year ago.

I need: True desktop syncrhonization, Push email, html support to some extent and some attachment support. Integrated dialing....

Anything out there that comes close that doesn't cost a fortune like Goodlink?
    Like KKenna, I agree that the Seven beta is, while not perfect yet, pretty good. Before trying Seven, I had an excellent experience with Infowave SymmetryPro for about six months, although attachment support is not SymPro's strongest point.
    Basejet was good while it tried to be. It stopped trying some time ago. By that I mean from beta through the end of the release 1 cycle. But all hell broke loose around Jan. 2004. *SHAME* on Basejet!

Let's just say that as a paid user of Basejet, I am okay walking away. I do hope that we as consumers 'keep score' -- the Basejet developers have a legacy of disappointments and this is but another. Beware. Those with long-term service agreements ought to file a claim in bankruptcy court -- expect little recompense, but shame on you if you don't even bother.

As for replacement clients that all of we user will need here is PalmOne's comparison: http://www.palmone.com/us/wireless/e...atibility.html

As a testimonial I will recommend Good's product. Sure it has "issues" that reflect its imperfection, but it's quite EXCELLENT in terms of robustness (a problem for Basejet) and comprehensiveness (it includes calendar and meeting transactions). I disclaim any beneficial interest in Good; hell, it may be the next Basejet, but I sure hope not!
    Sorry to see them go. Was one of the email clients I liked best.
    Jim@treo1.com
    <a href="http://treo1.com">
    treo1.com
    One Stop, plain and simple
    <a href="http://treo1.com/index650.htm"> Visit our new Treo650 optimized site!!</a>
    <a href="http://palmoscentral.com"> Visit our new website palmOSCentral.com!</a>
    I've been looking for a replacement (I use Lotus notes) for awhile. Here are the three solutions so far:

Sprint's BC (I used this in the beginning with the Treo 300. It's not too bad. But it's run by Sprint so you know there are support issues)

Visto - (www.visto.com) It looks like they are more focused on enterprise solutions but there is a solution for individuals.

Commontime - (www.commontime.com) Looks very interesting for notes. I was unable to get it to work initally. I may try again....

Any others?
    I have used Basejet, Visto, and Sprint BC PE with my Lotus Notes e-mail. Basejet was by far the least reliable, but when it worked, it worked well. I liked Visto tremendously, but have had recurring problems with it ocassionally sending the same message countless times. Visto could never figure out why, and after my boss got the same message 47 times one day, I gave up. Sprint BC has more promise, but has had problems with field length when used with Notes. I understand that to be resolved in the beta underway from Seven, the real provider of the Sprint BC system.