1.    #1  
    I went to buy a Treo 600 from Verizon today, and I'm totally flabbergasted. As far as I can tell, Verizon only offers two plans with the Treo 600: "PDA/Smartphone 5MB" and "PDA/Smartphone unlimited". They offer web browsing/email/data services at $30 or $50/month.

Phone calls are 25 cents a minute local, 69 cents a minute roaming. All phone calls. They don't have any plans whatsoever that include calling minutes. (Non-NationalAccess data minutes are extra, as well. They don't actuall say what that means.)

Is this for real? Are they seriously not offering a calling plan that includes calling?

Is this the same story people are getting at the retail outlets? Maybe it's a mistake just on the website?

I'm one of the many who waited months for the Treo 600 from Verizon (since Verizon is the *only* service provider who actually gets reception inside my house *or* my office!), and I went to the website today as soon as I woke up, credit card in hand.

I guess I'm going to have to look at active repeaters, so I can get my Cingular Treo 270 working inside my house. I'm sick to death of running out onto the lawn whenever someone calls.
    Those are data only plans that are offered with all of the PDAs (except the Blackberry, where the 5MB plan is $40). These are also available as feature add-ons to plans 0f $35 or more, at $25 & $45.

Believe it or not, some customers actually wanted data only options...
    IdahoEv,

Verizon does offer calling plans.
    When you buy the Verizon Treo 600, you can choose one calling plan and one data plan.

For example, you might want to choose this calling plan:

America's Choice with 400 minutes.
    This costs $39.99 per month, and includes 400 minutes for voice calls during the day Monday-Friday. Also, this includes unlimited voice calls during nights and weekends. (If you roam, you will have to pay $0.69 per minute.)

And you might want to choose this data plan:

National Access, 5 MB.
    This costs $29.99 per month.

There are other calling plans and at least one other data plan. Mix and match them any way you want.

If you know you will be doing a lot of roaming, you probably do not want to choose the America's Choice plan. Instead, you probably want to get the National Single Rate plan. The National Single Rate plans do not charge an extra fee every time you are roaming, but the National Single Rate plans cost more than the America's Choice plans.

With a National Single Rate plan, you can get 400 minutes for $55.00 per month (and all 400 minutes can be roaming, I believe).

Hopefully this information is useful for you IdahoEv.

More info is available at www.verizonwireless.com
    All in all, it sounds like Sprint's fair and flexible plan is the best deal. With an extra $5 on that you can roam all you want. It let's you roam on Verizon's network so you'll still have the excellent coverage offered by Verizon. I think I'm paying something like $60/month

F&F plan $35
    Unlimited Data $15
    Full Roaming: $5
    + taxes, etc.

I used to be a verizon customer and find that my 600 works just about everywhere my startac worked. The only difference is you can't get an analog signal. It's just as well because analog used to suck the batteries dry.

EDIT: BTW, Sprint charges less per minute of roaming ($.40?) if you don't use the $5 plan and the F&F plan means there are no surprise overage charges. It scales very well. Go look it up. Sprint is a much better deal than Verizon on so many levels.

EDIT2: My comment above excludes customer service. I have not had problems with Sprint but have heard horror stories. I was a Verizon customer for 4+years and never had any big problems (a few surprise bills with overage charges but that's been SOP for cell telcos since day 1). I think Verzon and Cingular are still rated #1 in service.
    Last edited by CojonesDeToro; 07/19/2004 at 02:23 PM.
    Yes, the Sprint unlimited data plan for $15 is a good deal.

The only problem is that the $5 for roaming will only let you have roaming for voice calls.
    If your provider is Sprint, then you cannot check your email, surf the web, or do any other data-related things when you are roaming.
    Quote Originally Posted by mygcn2
    The only problem is that the $5 for roaming will only let you have roaming for voice calls.If your provider is Sprint, then you cannot check your email, surf the web, or do any other data-related things when you are roaming.
    Yes, good point. Another gotcha is that the Treo will roam even when a PCS tower is within reach. It takes the better signal. I have to turn off roaming sometimes to do data stuff. Too bad there's no app for quickly turning roaming on and off... or is there?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mygcn2
    IdahoEv,

Verizon does offer calling plans.
    When you buy the Verizon Treo 600, you can choose one calling plan and one data plan.
    Where?

I go to verizonwireless.com. Click the Treo 600 ad.

This brings up a page about the Treo 600, and a button labelled "select". I click that.

I get prompted to enter my zip. I do so and click Submit.

This brings up a page where I can select 1) Duration of plan (1 or 2 years) 2) optional features (listing both PDA/Smartphone data plans) and 3) Accessories. I select 2-year contract, and no optional features or accessories.

This brings up wireless package selection. Only one package is listed, the PDA/Smartphone Unlimited, which is data-only. I click "view all plans"

This brings up a page with two items to complete. 2) Select plan minutes. This lists two packages, 5MB NationalAccess (Data Only) and Unlimited NationalAccess (Data Only). 3) Optional services, including warrantys and text messaging. The only button at the bottom of this is "Add to Cart".

I've never been offered any options that include voice service!
  8.    #8  
    Customer service answered an email from me directing me to the "NationalAccess Calling Plans" which include both voice and data in the same minute allowance. They start at $35 for 150 minutes. (Which would satisfy my needs, most likely)

If you select these, though, and go on to phone selection, the only "phone" offered is a PC card for laptops.

Which is weird. Why would you buy a calling plan and no phone?
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by CojonesDeToro
    All in all, it sounds like Sprint's fair and flexible plan is the best deal.
    Sadly, Sprint like all the others doesn't get service inside my home or office. Verizon is the only one...
    IdahoEv,

Yes, I understand what you mean about the Verizon wireless web site. Their web site is not the greatest.

If you can call Verizon directly, using the toll-free 800 number, you will talk to a live person who is familiar with all the possible combinations of calling plans, data plans, etc. That might be the best way to go.

Here is one guy who knows all about the Verizon Treo 600, and he will sell you the Verizon Treo 600 with the exact plan(s) that you want.

Call Steve at Verizon at: 800-366-0043, Ext. 5545
    I have had sprint since 1998 and will be leaving them for verizon. I happen to have a family member that can hook me up with a data plan that is $5 for 0 megs but only 50 cents per meg after that,

I figure 10 or so megs a month for AIM/ email and i will keep watch on data usage, while sprint pcs has some good deals on vision for $10 from back in 2002 at this point the voice service is out of control, I cannot make calls in many common places and while I go in ANY building i roam on verizon the entire time.

You gotta realize that the extra $10 or 20 you pay for verizon is the difference in reliability not just the plans.