1.    #1  
    I currently have a Sprint T600 and use the Palm Mail app to send and receive email via my Sprint PCS email acct. I use this email program heavily to message between my T600 and other mobile devices and the drawback to this POP3 "pull" type of setup is that mail is not automatically "pushed" to my device. One way you're able to check email automatically is to set up the Mail app to automatically check for new mail on a set schedule which drains your battery life by unnecessarily making a data connection and attempting to retrieve mail that isn't there and when it finally does get around to retreiving some actual email, the mail might have been sitting in your inbox for who knows how long. The other option is to set your "send/receive" to manual, set your Sprint PCS account to "notify you of new messages via SMS", and when you receive an SMS stating you have a new message, open your mail app and manually do a "send/receive". It would be very convenient if there was an app that "intercepted" the SMS notifying you of new mail, and at that point, triggered the Palm Mail app to automatically do a "send/receive". If there is anyone out there that can make this happen, I would be willing to pay good money for it.

Note: I already know there is a program out there that does this with SnapperMail but I don't like SnapperMail. I like the clean look, interface and features of the Palm Mail application.

Thanks in advance!
    I was gonna suggest the snappermail + treohelper combo... but unfortunately I don't know if there is any way to do sms triggered pull via the integrated mail client...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    I like your idea about an app, that will look at an SMS and then if it's about email, auto fetch.
    I don't mind using the manual system too much, I get an SMS, I have Snappermail on a hardkey, I then hit "o" for one account (no need for the "alt" key to be used, nice work SM) and then I hit hte "goto" button when it arrives.

But yes, an auto feature off SMS woulb be a neat thing. I don't know if i wold pay a lot for it, but neat.

I understand you use your email WAY more then me it sounds. So I see your issue. I assume you do more then chat with it? SMS can go up to 160 characters and there is a patch I think to raise that even higher.How about Chater or the like?

On a side note, you do now about the bug in the Palm OE email client where it will eat all your memeory up. If you email like you say you do and have attachments, then look out for this. I didn't find out about it untill the file was almost 6.5M in size. This was also back when there was only an "unofficial" version cleint for the CDMA version. The bug is still there BTW. That is why i went with Snapper.
    Quote Originally Posted by blockburner2700
    Note: I already know there is a program out there that does this with SnapperMail but I don't like SnapperMail. I like the clean look, interface and features of the Palm Mail application.
    What program does this with Snappermail?

Thanks
    Treohelper
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by paulx
    I read about chatter at the web site given. It says:

"true "push" eMail via IMAP and email sending via SMTP"

The pdf manual is not much help.

How does one set up push email with IMAP (ie fastmail)?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joej
    I read about chatter at the web site given. It says:

"true "push" eMail via IMAP and email sending via SMTP"

The pdf manual is not much help.

How does one set up push email with IMAP (ie fastmail)?

Thanks
    Odd. I was able to set it up just fine using the manual. Very simple. It even has pictures.
    There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.
    Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Okay. I like the idea of having an app that can evaluate SMS messages and then doing different things with the info depending on the content of the SMS. It would be even better if an event handling app could be created that uses rules like (if app A does this then open App B and do that). Is this possible. If so, we could really automate some stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Woof
    Odd. I was able to set it up just fine using the manual. Very simple. It even has pictures.
    Oops, my bad. I see it now. Would that kind of IMAP notification work with Snappermail also in the same way?
    I have been using Visto MessageXpress for Internet mail since last Novemebr when I got my Treo 600. I get mail pushed via SMS usually within minutes of my pop account receiving. The filters and everything are great. It is $50/year.
    http://www.visto.com/
    This would be fantastic. Perhaps there is a way to write a "script" to allow for the automation?

My ideal situation would be as follows:
    1) Yahoo! and work email are my primary accounts. It would be great if I could set up rules within both to SMS me a) From field; b) Subject; c) Size of email, when rule is triggered.
    2) I receive the SMS and then have the option to "pull" the email. It would be great if only that/those particular email(s) could be pulled. That way you read only what you want or need to read.
    3) I can then choose to reply to the email, delete it, or just leave it alone. The email would not be deleted from the server.

Is this possible with Snapper and TreoHelper??

Thanks, again!

Quote Originally Posted by BigTreo
    Okay. I like the idea of having an app that can evaluate SMS messages and then doing different things with the info depending on the content of the SMS. It would be even better if an event handling app could be created that uses rules like (if app A does this then open App B and do that). Is this possible. If so, we could really automate some stuff.
    Not sure this will help but with BuzzOff from www.toysoft.ca you can set up a filter for sms to filter on a keyword in the body msg like "fetch email". You then tell BuzzOff to launch snappermail or your email client. In your email client you then setup to fetch mail on launch (if the mail client can do this)
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
  14.    #14  
    Okay........you got me! I tried the new version of snappermail and I am hooked! I didn't like the interface of the previous version of SM, but I tried the new version and can't stop using it! I teamed it up with the latest version of Treohelper and voila! I now have "like-push" pull email and might I add, a substantial amount of free space which I didn't have before. Damn that Palm Mail bug! Thanks for the suggestions everybody!
    Stuart Nicholson with SnapperMail did state that push mail is in the future for SnapperMail. At this time, the only app that provides for ture push mail with the Treo 600 is Marc Blank's Chatter. However, Marc is not taking new users at this time. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by blockburner2700
    Okay........you got me! I tried the new version of snappermail and I am hooked! I didn't like the interface of the previous version of SM, but I tried the new version and can't stop using it! I teamed it up with the latest version of Treohelper and voila! I now have "like-push" pull email and might I add, a substantial amount of free space which I didn't have before. Damn that Palm Mail bug! Thanks for the suggestions everybody!
    AWESOME!
    What is the current version of treohelper?

James
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamez
    What is the current version of treohelper?

James
    I downloaded and installed version 0.68 in mid July. The SnapperMail TreoHelper combo pushes A-OK on my Sprint T600.
    HAVE FUN Don
    600 ->755p, Chatter Mail
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Stuart Nicholson with SnapperMail did state that push mail is in the future for SnapperMail. At this time, the only app that provides for ture push mail with the Treo 600 is Marc Blank's Chatter. However, Marc is not taking new users at this time. Ben
    Actually Marc has only announced a hold on the IM Side of Chatter, the eMail side is still available to anyone who wants to sign up.

And Sadly, SM doesn't do push, just polling and polling is rather slow on IMAP, better suited for POP but it hopefully is just an intermediary step in the right direction.
    Pete