1.    #1  
    I finally got round to getting the Treo 600 (just before they start cleaning out the stock to make way for the new model)...

Anyway... I'm trying to figure out what software to buy for email. Here are the accounts I have - what would you recommend?

College email account - IMAP/SMTP (SSL required for all transactions).
    2 Netscape webmail accounts (not holding up hope here - NS7 has special IMAP feature).
    Several AOL accounts (I don't really use them but my wife would love to have access).
    Google Gmail account.
    Lotus Notes based work account behind a firewall (only Blackberries allowed to breach it). Would be happy enough just to sync email for reference purposes. Would love to sync the calendar and todo list stuff too. Not too sure about that wirelessmail program people have been talking about (Don't want to upset the IT people).

My priority is getting access to my college account. Followed by the Lotus Notes account. I'm trying to figure out what the Sprint Business connect software is supposed to offer...

Any other recommendations for software I would be likely to find worthwhile? An AOL IM option would be useful too - do these programs run in the background and keep you logged on to AIM when using other apps?

Steve

P.S. I broke my last phone's screen - any suggestions for a good case?
    Nothing will do the Netscape IMAP - I tried it with a couple of programs and gave up. Chatter does true PUSH email and is a very stable application. At this time it is back under beta with attachments being worked on. It also does instant messaging!

Another great program back in beta for IMAP is SnapperMail. It does not offer push mail; however, as a general mail program, it cannot be beat. It and Chatter together form a heck of a team.

I use both programs together. I have mail forwarded to an IMAP account (Fastmail.us) and it is then immediately forwarded or PUSHed to my Treo 600 - very, very quick via Chatter's always connected feature. If the email is something that Chatter cannot handle, I then pick it up using SnapperMail.

I also have one account that is forwarded to a Sprint account and have the Sprint account set to send a SMS message to the Treo 600. Installed is a utility called Treo Helper and when it sees a specific type of SMS message, it triggers SnapperMail and SnapperMail then retrieves the message.

If your college account does not support PUSH/IDLE, then it may be possible to forward it to a provider that does (such as Fastmail).

Good luck. Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Nothing will do the Netscape IMAP - I tried it with a couple of programs and gave up. Chatter does true PUSH email and is a very stable application. At this time it is back under beta with attachments being worked on. It also does instant messaging!

Another great program back in beta for IMAP is SnapperMail. It does not offer push mail; however, as a general mail program, it cannot be beat. It and Chatter together form a heck of a team.

I use both programs together. I have mail forwarded to an IMAP account (Fastmail.us) and it is then immediately forwarded or PUSHed to my Treo 600 - very, very quick via Chatter's always connected feature. If the email is something that Chatter cannot handle, I then pick it up using SnapperMail.

I also have one account that is forwarded to a Sprint account and have the Sprint account set to send a SMS message to the Treo 600. Installed is a utility called Treo Helper and when it sees a specific type of SMS message, it triggers SnapperMail and SnapperMail then retrieves the message.

If your college account does not support PUSH/IDLE, then it may be possible to forward it to a provider that does (such as Fastmail).

Good luck. Ben
    I am also dealing with a college/university email account (my boss's) for which we just purchased a Treo 600 using Sprint PCS. We have looked into Airelon, but it seems to not be working well within the university system (demo version)- does anyone know anything about/have experience with this application?
    Web connectivity seems to be working, but email is not. We are IMAP/STMP with SSL required. We use Mac Osx with Entourage X for email, but have been synching with Palm Desktop for the calendar/contacts/etc. However, the University doesn't really support Macs very well, it's overwhelmingly PC here. We tend to be on our own for support.

The University Tech people had this to say in response to our questions about workable email apps:
    "Not really, we've played around a bit with Palm OS devices in general,
    trying to find a good way to access UW email via IMAP. So far, nothing
    works very well and we are not in a position to recommend, or support,
    anything on this class of devices. We have been watching, with extreme
    interest, a new email package, called "SnapperMail". The upcoming (STILL
    "upcoming" after many months....) "enterprise" edition says all the right
    things, see: http://www.snappermail.com/wireless/email/imap.cfm"

I'm not actually IT staff, but provide admin support for my Treo-toting boss.
    Thanks- any info is appreciated.
    Carol
    Chatter Email should work with UW's IMAP/SMTP...

Marc
    Global Posts
    641 Global Posts
    I use mnotes for syncing email/calendar/todos/memos from Notes. Works well.

Don't know how it would co-exist with the stuff you'd need for your other accounts.
    Less than 400 posts to get my own little treo icon!
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    Chatter Email should work with UW's IMAP/SMTP...

Marc
    Chatter _does_ work with UW-imap (rev4) with SSL... cuz that's what I run here
    If you want a behind-the-firewall PUSH email solution for IMAP that supports the Treo 600, SEVEN provides one. In the US, Sprint and Cingular sell the SEVEN solution as Business Connection and Xpress Mail.

SEVEN also has an advisory council which offers free use of the enterprise mobile email software ( http://www.seven.com/products/Enterp...ryCouncil.html ). The enterprise advisory council supports the Treo and other devices as well as multi-carriers - so you can service multiple locations around the Globe.

SEVEN also support Domino, Exchange and GroupWise... and provides access to corporate and personal email, calendar, corporate and personal contacts and documents.
    Quick question on using Fastmail forwarding to use IMAP (my regular email is POP3) -- The Fastmail has a pretty small limit for space, and I can't seem to find a way to ensure that an email with a big attachment (like 8 mg) doesn't end up in the account and fill it....and I also don't see a way to have the email pushed from Fastmail to my Treo and then just deleted off the server immediately (which I would like since I only use the Fastmail account to have IMAP for my treo/chatter access, and I use the POP3/outlook otherwise from the mail account). Otherwise, I need to either delete it in my treo to delete it from Fastmail or go to Fastmail to delete... Any suggestions? What am I doing wrong?
    I can tell you that the SEVEN service and SEVEN-powered services would delete emails in real-time. i.e. if you delete it on your device you don't have to do it again. When you go back to your account the deleted email will be in the delete folder. If you are looking for an individual solution, SEVEN does offer a BETA program for SEVEN Personal Edition which you would be able to configure to use with Fastmail or POP. Here is the link if you want to check it out: http://www.seven.com/products/Indivi...tion/Beta.html Hope this helps.
    I'm a big Chatter fan - the developer (Marc Blank) is really responsive and actively engages with the user community to improve his products.

Chatter will delete mail on your server too (also does auto-expunge, which purges mail marked as deleted on the server). I only use fastmail (have all my other accounts forwarded there) and the setting within Chatter that delets msgs is in menu/editmailbox/other/Auto-Expunge After Delete.

You can set up your POP accounts to forward to Fastmail (or have Fastmail poll them periodically if you want to just use one email client (Chatter) on the Treo.

As far as limiting emails of a certain size - I've had issues with that too - be careful about their filters, you might actually wind up using more bandwidth (some to receive and than some to send it back...do a search in their help area for this warning). You might consider upgrading to member status (80mb bandwidth per month instead of 8mb). As with most things, you get what you pay for.
    Last edited by jsgreen; 09/01/2004 at 04:15 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by calebu2

Anyway... I'm trying to figure out what software to buy for email. Here are the accounts I have - what would you recommend?
    Here is another thread discussing a very similar topic:
    http://discuss.treocentral.com/showthread.php?t=53809

I have been using Visto with success to access Lotus Notes email from behind a firewall. Email is pushed AND deletion is automatically propagated from the Treo back to the Notes database. Costs about $100 per year.
    P.S. Visto has the option of adding any Lotus Notes meeting invites into your calendar (although I haven't tried it). But if you want a more complete Lotus Notes client you might want to look at mNotes.

If you try the mNotes route (or even Chatter and SnapperMail for that matter) you will also need a way to be able to get past your firewall.

To solve this problem you could try MergicVPN. Does your IT dept allow access behind the firewall via VPN for people working from home? Ask them if their VPN solution is IPSEC-based or PPTP-based. If it is PPTP-based then you have a good chance of Mergic working for you. You will need to get a username and pin to login via VPN.

This would then allow you to access your email directly from the Treo to your Notes server rather than needing an intermediary server (like the Visto or Seven approach)
    P.P.S. Verichat sounds like a solution for your AIM needs.
  14.    #14  
    Wow, somebody revived my thread

Let me give feedback on how I've solved (or temporarily solved) my problems :

Work Email - Sprint BizConn. I have no clue why corporate tech support gave me the green flag to run the lotus notes add in, as it appears to keep a permanent connection to sprint through the firewall. It works OK when BizConn doesn't hog all the memory/processing power and cause the treo to reset.

College email - Sprint BizConn. Again, this is extremely unreliable... but what's really cool is I can get my college email from my desktop PC by logging into sprint. The firewall has blocked all internet addresses with "mail" in them, but not bc.sprintpcs.com. I don't really need my treo for that, but it's nice to have.

Netscape email - blazer browser pointing to webmail.netscape.com. I doubt I can send emails (or would even want to) with this configuration, but this works well enough to get login and registration information when I register for a site online and don't care about spam.

AOL accounts. If I have to, sprint has access to them through their web portal. I have no reason to check these other than to hope that I get invited to beta test a new AOL IM client that supports netscape IM accounts.

GMail. I forgot I had that account! I put all that effort into getting the account then neglect it. Again, I'm banned from accessing it at work and none of my friends know I have an account... so screw it, I'm just going to keep it as a backup for when my netscape email account gets overrun with junk mail.

I tried a trial of snappermail and found it to be great for attachments. But it's not worth $60 to me.

I'm sure that ChatterMail would solve the remainder of my problems, I just haven't had time to try it out. Perhaps I will...

Anyway, who needs email when you have PocketTunes

Steve