Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    Anyone have any experience with the Sony P900/P910. The P910 has the keyboard on it and it is suppose to be released soon although I dont know which carrier has it. In either event, anyone know of or have a comparison as to which one is better and why. Just curious...

or any comments in general

I love the Treo and cant wait for the T/Ace but the 910 looks pretty good too

rob
    if won't be coming out on the Sprint network.

The biggest mistake Sony made was abandoning the CMDA market (and trying to develop their own chipset instead of licensing someone elses).

Digressions aside, that keyboard on the 910 looks flimsy, and the weight balance seems funky.

That said, I'd like to see one and judge for myself.
    I agree that the 910 looks pretty good but here are two items that will keep me from purchasing it

1. The keyboard does not look like you can hold it and type on it like the treo. Since it is a removable plate I assume it will not have the strength to hold the phone in that manner while typing.
    2.There are so many more programs for the Palm than the Symbian

Palm really needs to hurry on the new version of the treo.
    I've used the P900 and the P910 keyboard looks like a complete hack. I mean really, even if you hold it and the flip is strong enough to support the phone, it's going to be really uncomfortable to hold it that way. The leaked specs for the Treo Ace look much more interesting to me. It will be quad band GSM / dual CDMA (both better then the 910), have a higher res screen, bluetooth (the same between the two), and able to use an SD card instead of the silly Memory Stick Duo. I was really hoping that the 910 didn't look like it's leaked photos but it did and I'm sure disappointed. I'd pass and wait for the Ace.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    We looked at the P800, P900 and Treo600 as a replacement for our Ericsson R380ís. The main reason we chose the Treo is reception, the P800/900 has an internal antenna and well it sucked.

We have forty cars fitted in genuine Ericsson in car kits for the R380ís, there would have been a small cost of around AUD60 each to upgrade them for the P800/900. Yet we chose the Treo without car kits because the in hand reception of the P800/900 sucked.

I contacted SonyEricsson about the problem with the P800ís reception and asked them if the P900 had the same antenna system. The reply was of course because there is nothing wrong with the current antenna. I was then told current antenna system was comparable with other phones in its class. My comment was that the consumer translation of the work comparable was ďsimilar but not as goodĒ.

Hope this helps.
    ^^and all along i thought treo 600 is worse than the p800 that i had before

ps: my house has 1-2 bar only and treo 600 constantly been searching for signal where the p800 easily had it locked signal

ps2: by the way, have you tried p800/p900 in real life RF test before? or its just another assumption
    I have used the P900 and the P800. I found the 900 to have slightly better reception. But the Treo 600 had much much better reception than either SE and as good or better than Nokias I've tried. Also the Treo is quad band while the others are tri-band.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    ps2: by the way, have you tried p800/p900 in real life RF test before? or its just another assumption
    Does this qualify as a real life test?

We spent AUD$12,000 plus for the purchase of 6 P800ís (prior to p900 release) and 6 Treo600ís.

We chose 6 of our techs 3 light users and three heavy users, each was issued a P800 and a Treo and advised to test both phones concurrently, the trhee heavy users even took there old R380ís with them.

We ran this test for a month, this included voice and gprs calls (isdn for R380) and the Treo out preformed the P800 every time for reception.

We were all ready to go with the P800 because we had car kits in our cars, we have always used Ericsson phones, chargers were compatible. At the end of the day we wanted the SE however no point having a phone you can not use in the field.

The build and quality control of the SE is much better then the Treo, the SE has more functions, process faster it just has bad reception. They should have kept with the external antenna.

We have forty seven Treoís thirty seven operational and ten spares, I have a bad gut feeling that ten spares is not going to be enough, after only two months we have three away for warranty (they have managed to misplace one of them) and another three will have to go this week. Here in OZ we are looking at least a three week turn around if and itís a big if they have stock. The phones have to be sent to Singapore

The Treo is a great phone when it works but there is no quality control in the build process and Palmone donít seem to care about fixing it. To matters worse because the US carriers lock there phones there are to many different versions of the firmware.

Hope I didnít ramble on to much
    ^^i have nothing more to say then
    it sure is a huge test
    yes, the us version has too many version of its firmware, i must agree on this and i am pissed by it, have no idea what's the difference of firmware on different carriers, other than the gprs/mms settings that i can think of...i guess the user in the US isn't much of a geek to 'explore' their gadget further and too lazy to read its manual, one of the reason why sony clie failed in the US
    and i do, love my treo 600
    had replaced my 6230 and th55uk permanently *cause i had been in an accident and lost both 6230 and th55uk in the process AND my powerbook too *
    It is quite simple, now with the keyboard the 910 is a realistic alternative.

P910 Pros
    Hi Res Screen
    Bluetooth
    Wide Screen Format
    Excellant mail compatibility
    Out of the box java
    No extra software required for iSync (if you have a Mac)
    Removable Battery
    More built in memory

P910 Cons
    Expensive Media
    Less Software which is more expensive

Dont get me wrong, I love T600 (I currently have 2 and a Tungsten W), but the fact it that even after it was offically announced it took many months to get them, and even then they were missing core features.

I used to own a P800 and although I much prefer the Treo, it was quite a good phone. The 910 has addressed a lot of these issues now. It seems to me that it would be wise to at least look at one.

I think my next phone will be a P910.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_wal
    ...The Treo is a great phone when it works but there is no quality control in the build process and Palmone donít seem to care about fixing it....
    Yeah, when I heard rumors of a new Treo coming out "so soon after the 600 was released", I thought maybe Palm One was just going to try to give Treo 600 owners the newer model at a greatly discounted price to make up for HandSpring's short comings.

I mean in P1's defense, HandSpring designed and manufactured the Treo 600 all on their own. (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $So$ $I$ $didn$'$t$ $feel$ $that$ $bashing$ $P1$ $is$ $going$ $to$ $help$ $much$.

But then I heard that P1 was doing this HUGE add campaign on the Treo 600 which definitely gives you the impression that they have either:

1) Fixed the production problems and have no sympathy for those of us with defects.

or

2) (As you said) They just don't care about the problems in the Treo 600 because it is apparently selling well enough WITH the problems to be worth any risk they may be taking.

Either way, I think I'm letting everyone else test out the Treo Ace for at least a month or two before I buy it. (Unless they give us a REALLY GOOD trade in deal.) It'll be a little cheaper after being on the market for a couple of months anyway.

:EDIT:
    As for the P910... I think I'll stick with the Treo line as long as it sticks close to the current form factor. Coming from a 300 to the 600 I've really liked not having that stupid flip cover on the phone. Everytime I used it I felt like I had to be extra careful not to break it. (Not to mention feeling like the bigest geek in sight.) I'm sure having a flip down keyboard would be just as annoying.

--TechDude
    Last edited by TechDude; 07/20/2004 at 10:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDude
    I mean in P1's defense, HandSpring designed and manufactured the Treo 600 all on their own. (AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK) $So$ $I$ $didn$'$t$ $feel$ $that$ $bashing$ $P1$ $is$ $going$ $to$ $help$ $much$.

:EDIT:
    As for the P910... I think I'll stick with the Treo line as long as it sticks close to the current form factor. Coming from a 300 to the 600 I've really liked not having that stupid flip cover on the phone. Everytime I used it I felt like I had to be extra careful not to break it. (Not to mention feeling like the bigest geek in sight.) I'm sure having a flip down keyboard would be just as annoying.

--TechDude
    By the time Australia got shipments of the Treo the palmone / handspring thing was well underway, when we started the testing process the first three phones were Handspring branded, after reading some of the post on TC I contacted palmone Australia.

I was basically told that with the merger palmone would be taking over production and the quality issues should be addressed. Ha Ha

I agree with you about the form factor, prior to the Treo / P800 test we where using the Ericsson R380 and the primary replacement criteria was a qwerty keyboard. It didnít matter weather the keyboard was on screen like the R380 and the P800 or hard key like the Treo. Our techs enter a lot of data each day and trying to do it with a standard keypad was out of the question. (Note: the cool thing about the treo is it also has a on screen keyboard, some of our techs prefer this)

I have had a quick look at the P900 as they were late being released in Australia, I didnít like the idea of hard keys on the keypad against soft keys pushing through to the touch screen like the P800, to much electronics inside the flip. With the P800ís we broke a couple of flips. The replacement cost was only about $25, I would hate to see the cost of a P900 flip.

I agree with you about the flip on the Treo270 / 300 etc, I once owned a Nokai 7110 that had a slide flip covering the keypad, it worked fine for the first couple of months until everything loosened up. It got to a stage where the phone would ring whilst sitting on the desk or in the case and the simple task of picking the phone up would move the slide enough to trigger the micro switch open then closed again. This of course would answer and then hang up the call. Doesnít that **** people off after a couple of times.

Anyway my theory is the less moving parts on a phone the better.
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    ^^i have nothing more to say then
    it sure is a huge test
    yes, the us version has too many version of its firmware, i must agree on this and i am pissed by it, have no idea what's the difference of firmware on different carriers, other than the gprs/mms settings that i can think of...i guess the user in the US isn't much of a geek to 'explore' their gadget further and too lazy to read its manual, one of the reason why sony clie failed in the US
    Sorry mate, I didnít mean to carry on so much,

I think the main difference between the versions is presentation and logo, all the connection information for gprs, mms etc can be stored in the sim card. And I imagine it has more to do with the locking then anything else.

Our company uses Telstra, a mate of mine is with Optus and another with Vodafone. I tried putting there sim cards into my treo and the phone automatically recognized the different carrier and changed the settings.

very cool
    i agree with whomever said the weight ratio looks funky..there's no way the keyboard can support the full weight of the phone while typing..or is there??

anyways i say the new treo ace has the p900/910 easily beat..the motorola mpx looks greater than the ace and the 910 though.
    Quote Originally Posted by the_wal
    Sorry mate, I didnít mean to carry on so much,

I think the main difference between the versions is presentation and logo, all the connection information for gprs, mms etc can be stored in the sim card. And I imagine it has more to do with the locking then anything else.

Our company uses Telstra, a mate of mine is with Optus and another with Vodafone. I tried putting there sim cards into my treo and the phone automatically recognized the different carrier and changed the settings.

very cool

cool, didn't know that
    i guess that's what the carrier profiles are for
    yeah, am loving the treo 600
    and battery life wise, am surprised its really up to its claim *well, about 75% of it, its good enough for me*
    rather than the xda II, tried it, hated it
    heh
    i guess, am more into a palm person
    the_wal where in Australia are you? How did you get Telstra to supply treos? Even when they were on the Telstra website, no one in at Telstra new anything about them. I eventually managed to get one from a Telstra Premium dealer, who new a little about Treos, but didn't like them, wanted to sell me a P900 instead. My boss (BMW driver) bought the 900, cause of the bluetooth and the screen, but Sony didn't bother with all the correct BT modules in the 900, so it doesn't work at all well with the BMW car kit and he finally admitted the other day that he doesn't send email from it cause of the lack of keyboard. Any way I digress, do you know of any consultants in Australia who offer technical assistance to larger companies who might want to integrate treos into their network?
    Ericsson developed Bluetooth, Sony bought Ericsson because of Bluetooth so it makes no sense that they would not put the proper BT modules in the P900. Since when to phone manufactures do what makes sense to us.

I have sent you an email on the Telstra stuff.
    i know this is an old thread, but thought it still maybe a good idea to give some feedback.

Well after months of having the treo. I saw my friends p910 and made an impulse buy and just jumped for it. got a good deal on ebay, and two days later it was here. Also ordered the bluespoon ax, should be here next week.

just a little background, so you can see where i am coming from. I was sick and tierd of the treo's issues. Too many faulty units, i think i am on my third. Bad sound, etc. Also i guess i was getting a bit bored with it. Not having bluetooth was hurting (i have to snake teh headpiece through my clothes, not cool), and i really wanted wifi (mind you the 910 doesnt have wifi either).

So i got teh p910. Its got some cool things, and some bad. Even though it maybe a bit premature, but i think i like the form factor of the treo more. Having the keyboard righ tin front of you is nice. The treo feels more solid, but is heavier. The full screen on teh sony is really nice, and definately has a much nicer looking screen. Though i havent played with teh 910 much, one thing that is really hurting me is that it doesn have the shortcuts page. This makes the treo really so nice to use. I dont think teh se has one of these, and that sucks. The jog dial though is very cool. I have liked teh jog dial since i had the old z100 phone for sprint, and it really is nice to use. The sony does a good job with th jog dial, and you can move through the menu's pretty nicely. But agin this is where the treo was also very nice. You never had to take the pointer out, and you didnt ever feel a need for it.The talk time on teh treo was pretty damn good, i have a feelign the se is not as nice. Signal strength is very good on both phones, and i cant see much of a difference.

So all said and done, the question then arises to me that why didnt i just go for the 650. Well i guess for starters, i am weary that the quality will be any better then the 600. One this is for sure, QA for the treo has to be brought up, and until i dont feel secure about this, i will not get another treo. I think if the 650 had wifi, i woudl of made the jump, but i think until then, i will wait it out. Mayeb the mpx is the way to go, who knows.

I guess summed up, both phones are good, both have their pro's and cons. I dont think there is a decisive winner. My wish list i guess is like all others, rock solid reliabilty, long talk time, wifi, bt.

hope that helps anybody on the fence between the two devices.

fas
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast