1.    #1  
    Is there any way to send a SMS message from a Sprint Treo 600 (as an e-mail message or as a SMS message) to a non-US phone? I have contacts in Europe, the Middle East and Asia to whom I'd like to send SMS messages (and they can all send to each other), but I have not found any way to do so.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

Best regards,

Bob1666
    Last edited by Bob1666; 07/18/2004 at 06:14 PM.
  2.    #2  
    If the answer is simply that it is not possible to do so directly (i.e., SMS to an international recipient), and instead that I should send it by an e-mail to #@carrier, is there any site that attempts a comprehensive list of carriers SMS e-mail addresses (i.e., after the @ sign)?

Bob1666
  3.    #3  
    Another related question - must international calling be activated on the Sprint Treo to receive a SMS message from overseas?
    i know there are some threads on this already. I have been sending them as emails to their phones(London) with no problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob1666
    Another related question - must international calling be activated on the Sprint Treo to receive a SMS message from overseas?

No, but you must have the SMS addon feature on your plan to receive sms in general...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob1666
    If the answer is simply that it is not possible to do so directly (i.e., SMS to an international recipient), and instead that I should send it by an e-mail to #@carrier, is there any site that attempts a comprehensive list of carriers SMS e-mail addresses (i.e., after the @ sign)?

Bob1666

This is basically correct. You can send sms via Sprint to other NA carriers fine with out any problems. But to send to overseas mobiles, you probably will need to know the 'email gateway' of the international wireless carrier and secondly be sure the international carrier has one in the first place! Anyway, it is indeed possible and I regularly send sms to India and vice versa...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  7.    #7  
    Thank you each for your replies. I am enabled to receive SMS as I do receive it from some folks here in the US. I've also been successful in sending/receiving to/from the United Kingdom.

The country that is now giving me issues is Syria. I've been able to RECEIVE from Syria, but when I receive a SMS it shows as from "unknown" so I do not know the e-mail gateway. The users there also don't know the gateway. That is one reason I was hoping some/one of you might know of a database online for SMS e-mail gateways. If I ever do discover it I'll post it for general knowledge (although I suspect a very small number of users will ever need to get an SMS to Syria!).

Bob1666