1.    #1  
    ...the new Treo Ace will be UMTS compatabile?

http://treo.discussion.treocentral.c...ad.php?t=53892

Move over EDGE - the prospect of $25/mos unlimited data at 300-200 kbps starting next week in SF, Seattle, etc has got me chomping at the bit!
    Off to iPhone land...
    Most likely it is not in the realm of possibilities as the specs for the device (if it is to be released this fall) have been finalized.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $there$ $are$ $a$ $couple$ $UMTS$ $handsets$ $coming$ $out$ $later$ $this$ $year$ $like$ $the$ Moto A845 and etc. It is not smartphone but it deos pack alot of cool features like live video conferencing, AGPS, BT etc. On the other hand, the other WCDMA phone that ATT may presumably release later this year is the Nokia 6630 which is a full fledged Series 60 Symbian with all the trimmings. The 6630 looks like an incredible device imo and will be among a slew of very tempting upcoming devices. Unfortunately, it seems we probably won't see the first WCDMA, 1xEvDo/Dv Treos until much later in 2005...
    Last edited by Gaurav; 07/17/2004 at 05:09 PM.

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    it seems we probably won't see the first WCDMA, 1xEvDo/Dv Treos until much later in 2005...
    While I suspect that you're more likely right than not, and without intending any offense, I wonder what basis you have for that comment. I'd certainly like to hope you're wrong.

On the hopeful side of the equation we have the following:

1- Vz has been planning on broader ev-do for this summer as of quite a while ago, and indicated that numerous phones will be available for it.

2- Sprint may have been planning its expansion long before their recent public announcements.

3- New rules in effect at the FCC have recently made it easier for MFRs to keep their approved devices confidential.

4- As recently reported here, a frequent poster to howard forums claims, with at least a some credibility, that the Ace WILL have Ev-DO. This based on his existing relationships in sprint.

5- Vz also indicated that phones designed for their ev-do service will work just fine with 1xrtt, so breadth of coverage ceases to be an issue.

6- Jeff Hawkins seems to be a fairly forward thinking and wise fellow.

I say: Keep hope alive.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete_L_P; 07/17/2004 at 09:02 PM.
    the day the treo moves into ev-do technology is the day i upgrade to the next generation.

bluetooth, hi res, and faster processor of the treo ace are extremely tempting, but i cant move up until there is a MAJOR overhaul in data and web technology.

for me, the key for me will be EV-DO.
    If the treo ace runs on it, im onboard!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete_L_P
    While I suspect that you're more likely right than not, and without intending any offense, I wonder what basis you have for that comment...
    The basis you have for your comments!

4- As recently reported here, a frequent poster to howard forums claims, with at least a some credibility, that the Ace WILL have Ev-DO. This based on his existing relationships in sprint.
    Please provide a link?! I'l like to read that post...

5- Vz also indicated that phones designed for their ev-do service will work just fine with 1xrtt, so breadth of coverage ceases to be an issue.

Well of course! That is obvious and there has never been an arguement that 1xEvDo/Dv would not be backward compatible with 1xrtt. But if there will only be small pockets of 1xEvDo in select markets, most consumers will never see full 3G speeds...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions

Please provide a link?! I'l like to read that post...
    The Howard Forums thread promising EV-DO for Treo Ace:

http://tinyurl.com/6c2xc

But if there will only be small pockets of 1xEvDo in select markets, most consumers will never see full 3G speeds...
    Vz has been saying "several major cities" this summer, and I believe they're targeting full rollout in each of those cities. While its probably true that "most users" will not be in those cities, they're still talking about being available to, what is potentially, a very large number of users. They've also been talking about full nationwide coverage within another 18 months.

I live in the S.F. bay area which would be a very likely rollout candidate. Thus my heightened anticipation.

Pete
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    the day the treo moves into ev-do technology is the day i upgrade to the next generation.

bluetooth, hi res, and faster processor of the treo ace are extremely tempting, but i cant move up until there is a MAJOR overhaul in data and web technology.

for me, the key for me will be EV-DO.
    If the treo ace runs on it, im onboard!
    My sentiments exactly. Instant broadband everywhere: what could possibly be more useful or exciting.

Pete
    Last edited by Pete_L_P; 07/18/2004 at 04:14 PM.