1.    #1  
    If you purchase an unlocked Treo 600, does it come with a SIM card? If you are not a customer of any of the GSM wireless carriers, how do you activate it on one of them?
    why do you want an unlocked phone if you dont have a carrier?

i belive cingular is the only carrier that doesn't have their treo's locked, but that may have changed.

i also believe that t-mo is the easiest to get the phone unlocked after the fact.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    You do not activate any existing SIM card unless you bought the phone with activation included.
    The SIM card is like any piece of coded plastic - junk until activated.
    You will have to get the SIM card from the carrier of your choice and have them activate it.
    I have detailed files.
    i love the "i have detailed files" sig haha
    Just contact the carrier of your choice and tell them you already have a phone and just one a connection plan. When I was in the US this time last year I simply got a prepaid ATT sim card and I was away.

Locked Phones? No Australian carrier locks there standard phones, and only two of the three lock there prepaid phones to stop them being sold cheap overseas.

With than in mind an outright purchase of a Treo600 here is about AUD1100 (US800). We get them wholesale at AUD820.
    Global Posts
    7 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by apdageek
    If you purchase an unlocked Treo 600, does it come with a SIM card? If you are not a customer of any of the GSM wireless carriers, how do you activate it on one of them?
    I bought my Treo 600 in Singapore. As in most parts of the world, ALL Treos are unlocked. There the price is about SGD1250 which translates to about US$700.

Just insert a SIM from any carrier and power up the phone. Thats all there is. I use three different carriers with my Treo. In Singapore I use Singtel, in India I use AirTel, and in the US I use AT&T (lousy customer service). I just keep switching the SIM card depending where I am in the world.

I find it amusing that Americans, who I consider the most aggressive in consumer rights, just take the concept of locked phones lying down. After spending so much money why do you need to be locked in to one carrier ? And what happens after 1 year when you do not like the carrier ? Do you throw the phone away ?

Heck almost anywhere in the world, there is no concept of lock-in at least in the GSM world.

I think it is time to truly live in the "land of the free". I like the concept of Pre-Paid cards in the US. Just buy one and pay for only how much you use. If the carrier gives you poor service, just finish the card and switch.

In most of Asia, Middle-East, India etc. pre-paid is 80% of the market for the telcos.

Regards