1.    #1  
    those with the treo 600 on verizon, what is the consensus so far? are you satisfied with its overall coverage, call quality and data services?
    is it easy to install the firmware? do you get clear voice quality while using the phone? has it been " stripped down " in any sense, since verizon tends to do this with its phones?
    just curious. wondering how things are going on the new carrier!
    Had it since Tuesday (started using Wednesday morning). Out of the box it was excellent. Coverage has been very good. Battery life could be a bit better, but I am a battery hog.
    Compared to my previous smartphone Kyocera 7135, the TREO 600 is fantastic. My 7135 would crash on a daily basis. So far Since Tuesday night my TREO 600 is not crashing. It is different to navigate with the dial then just a stylus.

I really like it. And more thing, my wife likes it too. We may be getting another one. :-)

Juanramon
    yeah, after my wife saw mine she demanded on too ...
    We should have a poll on how many times guys have shown their wives cool tech stuff and then the wives demand it for themselves as well...

I know cell phones, laptops, wi-fi come to mind....
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec
    We should have a poll on how many times guys have shown their wives cool tech stuff and then the wives demand it for themselves as well...

Well let's see, Ipod? Yes, Powerbook? Yes, Treo? Yes, Flat Screen Monitor? Yes. They have no idea what they are, they just see how happy we are with ours...

Hey! I want one!
    Very unhappy with the battery life. Half way through the day, my battery is on its last leg. Phone reception is fine, but the voice quality hasn't been 100%. On several occasions, it has sounded like the person was underwater. Lastly, i have noticed my phone has an incoming call, yet its not ringing - even though it is set to ring, not vibrate.

Giving the phone til Tuesday before I return it and go buy the Blackberry 7750.

Hope this helps.
    I received the Verizon Treo 600 Friday afternoon.

The instructions say you should activate it by pressing *228 when you are in a strong signal area (you should see a "D" or a "1x"). I went to all types of different locations (east coast), but I never saw a "D" or a "1x". All I saw was "Roaming". So I gave up trying to find a strong signal, and I dialed *228 while it showed Roaming. The phone was activated successfully, then the phone froze with the screen a bright white. I had to do a soft reset. Now everything is okay.

The sound quality of the speaker on the phone is not very good during phone calls. That is a disappointment.

The signal is weak in some areas, which is a surprise. I always heard how great Verizon's network was. For example, at my home, I will get a weak signal (one bar) for a couple minutes, and then "no service" for a couple minutes, and then back to the weak signal.

I wonder if should do a tower update or something like that.
  9.    #9  
    on sprint's network, you dial *2 to update tower prls for better signal. then *18 to lock in at the strongest signal.

verizon should have similar numbers to call for these updates.
    For Verizon, to update your PRLs, dial *228 and select option 2.
    I have been very happy with my VZ Treo. I was tired of the constant resets and lag time with the Kuo 7135. So far, NO resets and NO lag time. Beuatiful bright screen. The proclip holster is great.
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec

Quote Originally Posted by citi
    Well let's see, Ipod? Yes, Powerbook? Yes, Treo? Yes, Flat Screen Monitor? Yes. They have no idea what they are, they just see how happy we are with ours...

Hey! I want one!
    How right you are:
    iPod -yes
    Sharp Ultralite MM20 notebook-yes
    Higher powered desktop - yes
    Large Desktop flatscreen- yes
    Treo 300 -yes
    Treo 600 -yes
    Car naviagtion - yes
    XM radio in car - yes

Expensive jewelry, perfume, clothes: her -yes, me -no

Pete
    Verizon has been great thus far, despite a equipment problem.

I got the treo three days ago, made calls, synced it, and had no problems. When I tried to access the web, however, it would not go through. I spoke to a real live person in under three minutes, went through three helpful levels of support (including one person who called me back after experimenting with the phone herself), all in under an hour!

Unfortunately, there is a problem with the phone, so I had to send it back. (It kept stalling on the screen that says "Signing On" with a graphic of a handshake). The package went off in fedex today (they supplied a label with the original box).

After my customer "service" experiences with Sprint, however, it is great to deal with a company that solves this stuff quickly.
    So the issues above seem to be network related issues and provisioning rather than the equipment itself. I am keen to see how Verizons 1xRTT speed compares to Sprints - anyone care to download and run bMeter from www.hexlet.com to see what they get on Verizon. I got 17k/bytes per second in SF area today on a Sprint T600 at 2pm PDT in an urban area.

From reading the user guide and the sales info, the Verizon unit is pretty much identical to the Sprint unit but it has a few Verizon additions regarding signal gadgets for the phone. They also have MMS unlike Sprint who uses the Picture Messaging service which is proprietary. Also there is no POP3 mail client in ROM but there is a copy of a mail client from Synchrologic on the CD in the box. My guess is that many people will opt for SnapperMail or Eudora as a POP solution.
    I received my Verizon T600 on Tuesday, and spent this morning configuring it. I also couldn't get the "web" part to work, with the perpetual "signing in" that wouldn't go away. I called customer support, and the first person knew nothing about the treo, so she conferenced in two other people who proceeded to argue whether or not I needed to add the "Mobile Web" option for $4.99 a month. We tried it, but it didn't help. I gave up, and they were supposedly going to investigate.

But, then (and of course after adding 3500 contacts etc), I received my first call and it sounded a little loud. So of course I hit the "decrease volume" button on the side... and it stuck!! Tried everything I could to gently unstick it, but no luck. The killer is that as soon as you turn off the Palm apps, then turn it back on, it of course asks you to press the center button to unlock the keyboard. But since the volume key is stuck, it gets that signal first and shuts off. Tried a hard reset a couple times, but no luck. Called Verizon, and they said it HAS HAPPENED BEFORE (uh oh!), and said I should send it back and they'll send me a new one. Well I wanted it quick, so they had me go to a Verizon office (15 miles away) so they can confirm that I'm returning my current unit before they FedEx me another.

The first thing I'll do is depress the "decrease volume" key. But after the preceeding post I'm also curious about the "signing in" issue while trying to access the web.

Kevin
    The volume switches are one piece of plastic sitting over two micro switches. Their springiness comes from the the plastics. Your switch was probably misaligned with the microswitches underneath and has pushed to one side of the lower switch. What a pain. I don't think you are going to get it back into position without some bush repairs or a replacement.
    Got the phone yesterday and it's been great. I had a Nextel i730 before this, and suprisingly, the speakerphone is better than the Nextel. Or at least the service I'm receiving is better- both are better. No problems at all and I'm very glad to have it. In case you're wondering about the size, it slides into my jeans side pocket *better* than the 730. It's thinner....
    The perpetual "Signing On" screen is a provisioning issue in your account, not equipment failure. As more cases of this come to light in the VZW Tech Support dept, the fix will be applied more quickly and with less confusion.

I had it happen to me, and it took a few calls to get up to Tier III, but they fixed it. Called back when they said they would as well. Great service.

As for the phone itself? I'm in heaven. The battery life was been pretty good, and the overall speed and utility of the keyboard is great. Then again, I'm coming from a Visor Edge, so temper my praise with that information

I'm very happy.
    everything was beautiful and nobody hurt.
    What's the turnaround time on the phone these days? Now that it's been out a while (a week or so), I'd like to get one. If I call Verizon directly, can they get it back to me by tomorrow? What are the chances eh?