1.    #1  
    Hello All
    Just picked up a 256mb card and earbuds to use the 600 as an MP3 player at school. What kind of battery drain can I expect over a 3-4 hour period?
    Thanks all.
    Click for Free iPod Nano or better. - really works!
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    My experience is that 3-4 hours of steady MP3 play (as on an airplane) will just about completely drain the battery.
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    I've played mp3's for 6 hrs steady, at work, and used less than 1/4 of the battery. If you turn off the screen while they play, you save on battery drain.

Sprint, GSM...Mileage may vary based on how often your phone polls the wireless network....On a plane I would expect that the phone section would be turned off..if not, the constant polling for a network it can't reach would drain the battery very quickly.
    I agree, withthe screen off, I've gotten a good 6hrs out of the battery. If you want to have the screen on (to see song titles and whatnot, you can dim the screen (funct+P) and that should extend the life too. I replaced all of my music devices (MP3 player, Disc man, and car CD player) with my Treo and a 512MB card (soon to be 1GB card). It is definitely the way to go.
    We'll overcome you using our technology.
    Ditto, With the screen off, wireless off (AIrplane) it last an impressive amount of time. I use it when I fly from the US to China or Taiwan and it's a 26-29hr trip door to door and I don't have issues with battery life. Now I don't play it the whole time, but it's at least 6hrs of total time and I never have an issue with "Dang, it's dead".

The extended battery would really put the extra added time too.
    why would u want the screen on while it is playing anyway? keep it off, turn off wireless mode and that is probably the best way to maximize your batt life.
    i was at "work" the other day
    i started playing mp3's with ptunes at around 9:30am with a full battery charge.
    when 3:30pm came along, i had used 30% of my battery (read 70% battery remaining). that is with constant playback with no stopping with screen off and wireless mode on.
    at this rate, you could "theoretically" get ~18+ hours of mp3 playback.

i would assume you would get better battery life with wireless mode off.

i'll test it again on monday and see if i get roughly the same results. maybe its because my treo is brand new, so the battery isn't as degraded
    What is the quality of the mp3 playback compared to more conventional mp3 players...? (ie ipod etc etc)
    I went on roughly an hour walk today with screen off, wireless on and I used 9% battery life. So the rough estimate would be 10 hours of play time in that scenerio, probably less because I doubt you'll play it when it's very low.

Note: I have the aftermarket 2000mAh battery, not the stock 1800mAh.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatkid
    What is the quality of the mp3 playback compared to more conventional mp3 players...? (ie ipod etc etc)
    It seems that the quality is equivalent to anything else. It depends on the compression in the mp3 and the quality of the headset/earbuds you're using. The Treo doesn't diminish the quality at all. Now, play through the device's internal speaker and you'll get lousy quality and drain the battery faster.
    I've gotten about 8 hours with screen turned off. MP3 quality depends on the quality of the source file. 192kbs sounds great. Overall, the unit is fine as an MP3 player. I don't understand the IPOD stuff. With the TREO I have an IPOD, Phone, camera, PDA, gps unit, etc...
    Quote Originally Posted by MoseGiganticus
    I agree, withthe screen off, I've gotten a good 6hrs out of the battery. If you want to have the screen on (to see song titles and whatnot, you can dim the screen (funct+P) and that should extend the life too. I replaced all of my music devices (MP3 player, Disc man, and car CD player) with my Treo and a 512MB card (soon to be 1GB card). It is definitely the way to go.
    Another thing that you can do when on long flights-- use the seat power outlets with you car charger. I do it all the time (when I can get an outlet at my seat) and it works just fine
    I did a couple tests while in the car, and with the screen off, playing MP3s through PocketTunes off the SD card, using cheapo headphones, with "Graphic Equalizer / Sound Boost" OFF, I used about 7% batter per hour of playing.

Graphic Equalizer / Sound Boost chews up more CPU so will presumably hurt the battery more...
    Quote Originally Posted by MoseGiganticus
    I replaced all of my music devices (MP3 player, Disc man, and car CD player) with my Treo and a 512MB card (soon to be 1GB card). It is definitely the way to go.
    How do you listen in your car (driving without earphones)? The built-in speakers are loud in the house (but tinny), but kinda low for in a car.
    Treo 750 and iPhone.
    THe sound quailty depends on the quailty of ear phones. I found some really good ones and can tell a BIG difference. ALso the compression is a big factor too.
    around 12 hours of MP3 playing -- including occasional PIM lookup and 8 phone calls totalling 10 minutes and 8 text messages -- till the battery got to 20%, which meant 12 hours with a bit of capacity to spare for strictly using your phone for it's main functions, talking and PIM. I mostly listen to 64kbps OGG files, high quality, low sizes. Upto 500 songs on a 1GB card. Watch out iPod Mini, I'll reach 1000 songs eventually.
    Side note, my Tungsten T's battery life never degraded. I got exactly 5 hours 6 minutes of MP3 playtime when I bought it, and I got exactly 5 hours 6 minutes when I departed it exactly a year later to move on to better things -- Treo 600.