Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 36
  1.    #1  
    Just received my first Treo (Verizon) this past Monday and have been using it on a business trip in NYC. Being a past Blackberry user, i am finding myself to be very unhappy with the Treo. First problem is, the battery doesnt last very long when actively using the Treo throughout day. Second, i have had at least 12 phone calls go straight to voicemail - I am in the middle of Manhattan where i have full reception. Third, i was emailed a picture of low size, maybe 80k, and everytime i try to open it, my screen bugs out, starts to shake and then shuts down/restarts. Lastly, the vibrate feature isnt strong enough. When the phone is in my front pocket, i can barely feel it ring.

    Just felt the need to vent as I am considering returning my phone and going with the Blackberry 7750.

    Any suggestions?

    Thanks!
  2. #2  
    You paid $400+ for a device that apparently isn't giving you warm and fuzzy feelings.

    Any suggestions?
    Is this a rhetorical question?
  3. #3  
    With a CDMA network, if you are connected to data (like if you checked for email and didn't disconnect) calls will go to voicemail. For receiving an attachment which email are you using? There is a known issue with Snappermail that causes it to crash with attachments on phones with the newest firmware for GSM and Sprint so this is probably true with Verizon also. Can't comment on the vibrate, mine is plenty strong for me.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  4.    #4  
    I am using Snappermail. Only using it cause it was highly recommended on this site. Not familiar with any other mail apps. What do you use?
  5.    #5  
    SELDOMVISITOR...

    You are correct - i am not feeling warm and fuzzy. Luckily i did not pay for the device, my company did. Either way, Verizon has a 15 day return policy. Also looking at the Motorola A630. Similar features in a smaller package.
  6. #6  
    If you have the ability to try before buying - or at the very least buying, trying, and returning ability - then use it to its fullest.

    You might find that the Frying Pan/Fire caveat applies.
  7. #7  
    ^^you sure is a flamer
  8. #8  
    Your hatred is so blinding that you don't even see when someone is suggesting that OTHER phones might be WORSE than the TREO...
  9. #9  
    Snappermail is an excellent product but it has a problem opening attachments with Treos with new firmware. This is all over their message boards. They just announced they have found the problem and are expecting a new beta of their 2.0 beta with a fix in a few days. Also, I believe if you save the attachment first rather than open it directly you might not get the crash.

    I also use the Handspring Mail program and like it alot. I'm not sure if this is available with Verizon. It comes with the GSM version and I know they had a downloadable version for Sprint awhile ago. The palmOne Versamail product is also supposed to be good, but I don't believe it supports the Treo dpad yet.

    FYI, although I don't use Verizon I've been using alot of different products lately (although not a Blackberry) and I keep coming back to the Treo. It's overall ease of use and integration are something that really grow on you. The email problem you have is a Snappermail problem that will be fixed. The calls going to voicemail are a CDMA issue, but if you remember to disconnect shouldn't be too much of a problem. If I were you I'd give it a couple more days to see how well it works for you before deciding.

    Quote Originally Posted by filmboy
    I am using Snappermail. Only using it cause it was highly recommended on this site. Not familiar with any other mail apps. What do you use?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  10. ilbarbaro's Avatar
    Posts
    8 Posts
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    #10  
    Sooooo, are saying you can't surf the web/access email while in the middle of a phone call if you are on a CDMA network or receive calls if you are surfing? Can you do it on a GSM/GPRS network?
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by filmboy
    SELDOMVISITOR...

    You are correct - i am not feeling warm and fuzzy. Luckily i did not pay for the device, my company did. Either way, Verizon has a 15 day return policy. Also looking at the Motorola A630. Similar features in a smaller package.

    Filmboy, how often are you setting Snappermail to poll your inbox? If you set it too often, then your cdma Treo600 will always be connect to data connection. A unique weakness of cdma is that you cannot receive voice calls while on an active data connection. This was heavly discussed among Sprint Treo600 users when it was released last year. Consequently, if you set Snappermail to poll say every 10 minutes or so, it was always be in an active data connect and your phone calls will automatically be routed to voicemail. Solutions for this include increasing the polling period in Snappermail or using sms-triggerd pull via the Snappermail + Treohelper combo as discussed in this thread. If you do not have sms alerts, you can try options such as Dogspot's Email Notify. The advantage of sms-triggered pull is that you only poll your inbox when you get a message thus saving on battery life and reducing time on active data connection thereby decreasing the chances of missing a phone call. I 've been using this setup for a while and found it very convenient. In addition, there are literally a gazillion other email opitons and configurations you can try from Chatter, HS email client, GOODlink, Basejet etc. Search the forums and try them out...

    Cheers!
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  12. #12  
    Yes, on a CDMA network if you are connected to the data network (whether sending, receiving, or waiting) calls will go to voicemail. On a GSM/GPRS network, if you are actively sending or receiving data calls go to voicemail, but if it's just waiting not actively sending or receiving a call will come through and not go to voicemail.

    Quote Originally Posted by ilbarbaro
    Sooooo, are saying you can't surf the web/access email while in the middle of a phone call if you are on a CDMA network or receive calls if you are surfing? Can you do it on a GSM/GPRS network?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  13.    #13  
    Thanks gfunkmagic...that was the type of response I was looking for. BTW...my snappermail wasnt set to check mail automatically - i was pulling it down every 30 - 45 mins. Will test out some of the other mail apps.

    Another problem I forgot to mention in my first post is that when i try and check my voicemail, after i hit # and start typing my password, it disconnects me. This has happened at least a dozen times. I dont expect anyone to have a solution to this, just putting it out there in case other people are experiencing the problem.
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Yes, on a CDMA network if you are connected to the data network (whether sending, receiving, or waiting) calls will go to voicemail. On a GSM/GPRS network, if you are actively sending or receiving data calls go to voicemail, but if it's just waiting not actively sending or receiving a call will come through and not go to voicemail.

    In addtion, the GSM Treo 600 has much longer battery life when compared to the CMDA version. However CDMA data speeds are approx~ 30-40% faster than grps...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  15. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Your hatred is so blinding that you don't even see when someone is suggesting that OTHER phones might be WORSE than the TREO...
    Seldom, it looked like he was just joking - i.e. talking about flaming in response to your comment of frying pan/fire. He even used a smile face.

    I didn't see any blinding hatred toward you.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by filmboy
    Another problem I forgot to mention in my first post is that when i try and check my voicemail, after i hit # and start typing my password, it disconnects me. This has happened at least a dozen times. I dont expect anyone to have a solution to this, just putting it out there in case other people are experiencing the problem.

    Hmmm...sounds like the vaunted Verizon "handset certification trials" weren't all that comprehensive or rigorous afterall! This basically sounds similar to the all various issues and bugs the Sprint Treo600 had when it was initially rolled out! Since then Sprint has release TWO rom updates to fix various bugs and I suspect new Verizon users will soon be going through various patches...
    _________________
    aka Gfunkmagic

    Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w



    Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

    Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by filmboy
    Thanks gfunkmagic...that was the type of response I was looking for. BTW...my snappermail wasnt set to check mail automatically - i was pulling it down every 30 - 45 mins. Will test out some of the other mail apps.

    Another problem I forgot to mention in my first post is that when i try and check my voicemail, after i hit # and start typing my password, it disconnects me. This has happened at least a dozen times. I dont expect anyone to have a solution to this, just putting it out there in case other people are experiencing the problem.
    Are you using KeyCaps600 by chance and do you have the same number consecutively (or more than twice) in your voicemail password? I find this happens to me if I don't type slow enough and I think KeyCaps600 is the culprit. I've added the keypresses to enter my voicemail into the Extra Digits option on the voicemail favorite button to avoid this.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

    "95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  18. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    Seldom, it looked like he was just joking
    There is a science fiction story - perhaps by Heinlein (sp?) - about some space colonists who occupy one particular planet where just about all the fauna and flora are telepathic - or at least able to detect and respond to emotions. From birth the colonists are taught how to survive by essentially killing anything that moves (or be killed themselves) since all the fauna and flora turn out to respond very negatively to negative emotions. Only when some key something-or-other event happens and the colonists realize their OWN emotions are what are driving the fauna and flora do they turn the situation around and live happily ever after side-by-side.

    Maybe I'm the fauna.

    Or a colonist.
  19. #19  
    When in voicemail, mine hangs up when I push the buttons too fast also. (I use KeyCaps600) I have no problems if I type the numbers slowly.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo
    Are you using KeyCaps600 by chance and do you have the same number consecutively (or more than twice) in your voicemail password? I find this happens to me if I don't type slow enough and I think KeyCaps600 is the culprit. I've added the keypresses to enter my voicemail into the Extra Digits option on the voicemail favorite button to avoid this.
    You are a genius. My brother beamed that to my phone the other day. That has to be the problem as I do have two of the same digits in my password. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions