Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by heberman
    When in voicemail, mine hangs up when I push the buttons too fast also. (I use KeyCaps600) I have no problems if I type the numbers slowly.
    so much for "disable in phone app" I guess, although I coulda sworn I've seen some thread about that somewhere...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by filmboy
    You are a genius. My brother beamed that to my phone the other day. That has to be the problem as I do have two of the same digits in my password. Thank you Thank you Thank you!!
    No sweat...check out adding the dialing sequence in the Extra Digits for your "Voicemail" favorite (edit the Favorite and hit the "More" option), may lessen your frustration a bit..although sometimes I get impatient waiting for the phone to enter the info for me
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  3.    #23  
    I noticed in another thread that someone mentioned there was another type of internal battery that they could install to get a longer talk life. Anybody know anything about this battery? Is it safe? Does it really give you more battery life??
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Yes, on a CDMA network if you are connected to the data network (whether sending, receiving, or waiting) calls will go to voicemail. On a GSM/GPRS network, if you are actively sending or receiving data calls go to voicemail, but if it's just waiting not actively sending or receiving a call will come through and not go to voicemail.
    I have a Sprint Treo 600 and this is NOT totally true for CDMA. If you are actively sending or receiving data (the arrows are green) and someone calls your phone, then the call will go directly to voicemail. If you are connected, but not sending or receiving data (meaning the arrows are gray), then the phone WILL ring if you get a call.

I thought that on GSM if you are actively sending or receiving data and you get a call, a box pops up giving you the option to answer the call (and interrupt the data session) or send the call to voicemail. If this isn't true, then it would appear that GSM is no better than CDMA when it comes to dealing with data and voice.
    Jeff
    Quote Originally Posted by filmboy
    I noticed in another thread that someone mentioned there was another type of internal battery that they could install to get a longer talk life. Anybody know anything about this battery? Is it safe? Does it really give you more battery life??

They were probably referring to this:

http://www.gethightech.com/Merchant2...gory_Code=BATT

But the user reports here haven't been that impressive...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Yes, on a CDMA network if you are connected to the data network (whether sending, receiving, or waiting) calls will go to voicemail. On a GSM/GPRS network, if you are actively sending or receiving data calls go to voicemail, but if it's just waiting not actively sending or receiving a call will come through and not go to voicemail.
    I've seen this discussed in several threads over the months, but maybe I still don't have it straight. It is (or was) my understanding that CDMA and GSM phones actually work very similarly in this regard. If you are actively transmitting or receiving data (e.g. the arrows are green in Blazer) then calls will be forwarded directly to voice mail, but otherwise both CDMA and GSM voice calls would come through. Someone said the voicemail icon would appear immediately for GSM, even if you were actively sending/receiving data but with CDMA the icon wouldn't appear til after the data transmision was finished, but that was about the only difference. I'm still confused!
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jesterjo
    I've seen this discussed in several threads over the months, but maybe I still don't have it straight. It is (or was) my understanding that CDMA and GSM phones actually work very similarly in this regard. If you are actively transmitting or receiving data (e.g. the arrows are green in Blazer) then calls will be forwarded directly to voice mail, but otherwise both CDMA and GSM voice calls would come through. Someone said the voicemail icon would appear immediately for GSM, even if you were actively sending/receiving data but with CDMA the icon wouldn't appear til after the data transmision was finished, but that was about the only difference. I'm still confused!
    I can't address GSM since I have never had it, but with my Sprint Treo anytime data is being transmitted (that is the arrows are green) whether it is from Blazer, e-mail or anything with data, the calls go directly to voicemail. I am not exactly sure when the voicemail icon comes on since with Sprint this can normally be anywhere from a few seconds to a few minutes, but definitely not while the arrows are green.

I am assuming that Verizon CDMA is the same.

I hope this helps.
    Jeff
    depending on who you talk to, this is a myth of gsm.

i read somewhere, that gsm can support the ability to do both data and voice at the same time if the carrier and the phone support it.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Verizons network is a bit different than Sprints. Their phones poll the network more often than those of Sprint and hence battery life for any given handset is likely to be shorter on Verizon than on Sprint. The radio is more often actively transmitting. I assume this is reflected in the battery life estimates on the Treo 600 Verizon box/docs.

Verizons 1xRTT network has a longer hand-off time for 1xRTT sessions than Sprints 1xRTT network. This means that after your mail app drops the connection, your phone will not be available for phone calls for about another 20 seconds. The time is shorter on Sprints network - closer to 10 seconds AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK. $GPRS$ $networks$ $are$ $much$ $better$ $at$ $fast$ $network$ $detach$ $and$ $hence$ $they$ $tend$ $to$ $be$ $more$ $available$ $for$ $voice$ $call$ $availability$ $when$ $flicking$ $in$ $and$ $out$ $of$ $data$ $connection$ $quickly$ ($a$ $behavior$ $seen$ $with$ $always$-$on$ $email$ $applications$ $like$ $GoodLink$ $and$ $Seven$.)

Verizon is a class-act for service and support. They are number #1 in the US for a reason.
    As a Sprint Treo 600 owner merrily pointed out in another thread, it's really a moot point for CDMA phones. Since CDMA transfers data 2-3 times as fast as GSM, the data transfter would have long been finished before the call came in anyway.
    Another take...
    I read that GSM while making a "data" call will put it on standby generally to put the voice call through and when the call is done continue with the data. They aren't actually simultaneous but the hadover makes it appear so. While streaming as in pTunes the call goes to voicemail.

made sense to me but what do i know, I use sprint
    With GSM (TMo) there are green arrows but no grey arrows. The green comes on after connection to TMo and during usage (web, email, etc). After some idle time (longer that 10 minutes I think) it disconnects from TMo and the green arrows go away. While connected (e.g. green arrows) calls can be received, but not during actual data transfer.

Examples:
    Can receive calls after a Mail Send and Receive.
    Can receive calls while reading a webpage in Web.
    Cannot receive calls during downloading of a webpage.
    Cannot receive calls while streaming ShoutCast using pTunes.

Hope this helps.

K
    You are right about the grey and green arrows. However when not sending data the arrows don't do grey immediately, it takes some time. However on GSM/GPRS if you aren't transmitting or receiving and a call comes in 1 second later, the phone will ring and not go to voicemail.

With GSM there is no dialog. If actively sending or receiving it's just like CDMA, the call goes to voicemail.

For Felipe, a GSM/GPRS device can do voice and data at the same time only if it's a class A device. All current phones are class B, while some data only devices are class C. To do voice and data simultaneously, it requires two transceivers in the phone and I don't think any devices on the market have those yet. For jesterjo, for GSM it depends on the network for voicemail icons. AT&T will cause a voicemail icon to appear when there is a message. But T-Mobile sends an SMS message and doesn't use the voicemail icon.

Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    I have a Sprint Treo 600 and this is NOT totally true for CDMA. If you are actively sending or receiving data (the arrows are green) and someone calls your phone, then the call will go directly to voicemail. If you are connected, but not sending or receiving data (meaning the arrows are gray), then the phone WILL ring if you get a call.

I thought that on GSM if you are actively sending or receiving data and you get a call, a box pops up giving you the option to answer the call (and interrupt the data session) or send the call to voicemail. If this isn't true, then it would appear that GSM is no better than CDMA when it comes to dealing with data and voice.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    With regard to Snappermail crashing when trying to view an attached JPG - I had this happen to me, but was fixed once I installed JPEG Watch Lite - it's free - give it a try!

http://www.handwatch.com/handwatch2/...hp?q=Downloads
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    Hmmm...sounds like the vaunted Verizon "handset certification trials" weren't all that comprehensive or rigorous afterall! This basically sounds similar to the all various issues and bugs the Sprint Treo600 had when it was initially rolled out! Since then Sprint has release TWO rom updates to fix various bugs and I suspect new Verizon users will soon be going through various patches...

Don't kid yourself. There's still some frustrating issues with the Sprint phone after the 2 rom upgrades. We're approaching the 1 year annivesary. I hope the Verizon users have better luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    With regard to Snappermail crashing when trying to view an attached JPG - I had this happen to me, but was fixed once I installed JPEG Watch Lite - it's free - give it a try!

http://www.handwatch.com/handwatch2/...hp?q=Downloads

the latest beta, posted yesterday, claims to fix this.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12