Edited because I'm stoopid! :P
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by coryburton
    Your radar code is: ILN

Your link is:

http://radblast.wunderground.com/cgi...&showstorms=20
    Thank you.
    treobits.com has a weather page for both the desktop and Treo view.

www.treobits.com
    Treo 600 friendly website with Ringtones, Shoutcast Feeds and more...
    thankyou cory!
    I use avantgo, and use their Accuweather (no ads).... (both free!)

I enter my zip code once and get excellent NJ metro radar usually no more 15 minutes old, current conditions and 5 day forecast...

If you get Avantgo (its free) defiinetly put Accuweather as one of your pages
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    Cory..
    could i trouble you with Phx?
    N 33.44
    W 112.07

thanx in advance
    Quote Originally Posted by pump142
    Cory..
    could i trouble you with Phx?
    N 33.44
    W 112.07

thanx in advance
    Did you try figuring it out on your own? I've given directions so that you guys can make them on your own...

Your station code is: IWA

Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    yes i tried. sorry. thanks though
    All-- A couple of things I've changed to Cory's suggested link to make this URL more useful for me:

1. I've changed the '&scale=1' setting in the URL to '&scale=0.4 to effectively "Zoom in" the radar image. For me, this effectively zooms from all of New England to just Eastern Mass and Metro Boston down to Providence.

NOTE1: This will only be useful for you if your radar station is near your location(s) of interest. The Lat/Lon coordinates DO NOT set the center of the image, they only place a target marker on the map so that you can more easily find the place you are interest in. The radar image will always be centered on whereever the radar is physically located (usually a major airport location), but if you are lucky enough to live closer to the center of the image, you can 'zoom in' the way I have.

NOTE 2: As you Zoom, resolution gets worse. In other words the # of pixels across a range of geography is a set value. If you zoom in, the image will appear more grainy on your PC. (Although I find that on the treo, it doesn't matter)

2. I have changed the '&delay=15' setting to '&delay=60' to slow down the replay of the the timed images. I find that a slower playback is better for me. You can play with the setting to see what you like best. I have pasted the original link for Boston and my changed version below.

Hope you find these suggestions useful.

Original Boston:

Updated (Zoomed in and slower replay)
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj
    The radar image will always be centered on whereever the radar is physically located (usually a major airport location), but if you are lucky enough to live closer to the center of the image, you can 'zoom in' the way I have.
    Actually, once you zoom you can pan around the image. Here is an imagine centered on your location:

http://radblast.wunderground.com/cgi...=-7&transy=110
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj (in a private message)
    Thanks for correcting me. I don't want to confuse the masses by posting my question to the thread so I thought I'm PM you.
    I'd prefer it was posted here.

What is the numerical significance of the additional settings?
    &map.x=29&map.y=68&centerx=23&centery=63&transx=-7&transy=110
    Is it just something you have to play with to get right??
    I'm not really sure, didn't/don't have time to mess with it now, although I'm sure it can be figured out. If you go the actual web site (where the images are coming from, there are pan and zoom tools) you'd be able to play with the settings and figure it out.

Also, the image size for IE and desktop is fine, but for use on the phone, is there a way to reduce the resolution so that the downloads don't take so long (and fill up the Blazer Cashe)??
    I don't believe so, unless there is a service online somewhere that will "on-the-fly" parse images. The more frames of movement that you have, the bigger the file.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    One thing that you can do to help with the download size is to adjust the "num=30" setting from the links to a lower number (try "num=7"). This will reduce the number of animation frames that the image consists of; fewer animation frames = less data to downoad for the image.

Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by peridoc
    One thing that you can do to help with the download size is to adjust the "num=30" setting from the links to a lower number (try "num=7"). This will reduce the number of animation frames that the image consists of; fewer animation frames = less data to downoad for the image.
    Actually, the most that you can have (unless you subscribe to their service) is 4, so the setting is 1, 2, 3, or 4. Members can have more than 4.
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Ah...ok. Sorry about that. I subscribed as a member, so I was able to adjust the size of the image (i.e. number of frames) to what I wanted above 4. Thanks for the clarification.

Keith
    Bump, helpful to those who wanted a hurricane tracker?
    The fastest and most configurable weather alerts are from
    http://www.stormnow.com
    Choose the email option for $2.00/month. This is the service most local emergency coordinators use.
    Here's a great site for quick radar, IR and visible sat images:
    http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/textversion/main.html then tap "graphics and links"
    73 de K3SLS
    You guys can play with hand changing the URLs all you want, but all you have to do is go to www.wunderground.com on a desktop. Use their user friendly setup options to put in everything you want (including your hometown so it will put an "x" on the map, turn off clutter, zoom, pan, etc.). After you have your radar map the way you want it, right click on the map and save as a favorite (you will have to change the name, this will save a link to an add-free radar map), open the favorite, then click on the address bar and e-mail the address to your Treo.

Or if you don't want to save as a favorite, right click on the map, select properties, highlight the address, copy to clipboard, and e-mail it to your Treo.

While I admit it is kind of fun to play with the data in the URLs, I find letting the wunderground site do all the work MUCH easier.

ddeger
    Quote Originally Posted by ddeger
    While I admit it is kind of fun to play with the data in the URLs, I find letting the wunderground site do all the work MUCH easier.
    And much less mindless, which fits you well.
    Last edited by coryburton; 08/25/2004 at 03:09 PM.
    Mindless?? I don't mind being called mindless, but I do expect to see a smiley icon. You did mean to use one didn't you? :-)

Take care and don't forget to take your medication next time :-)

ddeger
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123