1.    #1  
    Hey everyone. First post on this board but I'm happy I found it. There's so much information on this site I can spend weeks reading all of it. Since my new phone arrives tomorrow I have a few questions so I can start loading apps onto it right away. I'm moving on from a 7135 and I think I made the right choice.

1.) Will JOT work on the treo? I know there's a free version of graffiti anywhere, but I've not seen a post about JOT. Would it be better to use graphitti anywhere on the treo?

2.) SMS messaging is not built into the phone correct? So I will need to install Treo600SMS?

3.) Will MegClock work on the treo? I need a good alarm clock program if someone could recommend something.

4.) Will Crash Pro work on the treo?

5.) Will TextPlus work on the treo?

6.) Is it best to install one app at a time on the treo or when I get it can I install 10 at a time? On my 7135 I have better luck installing one a time.

7.) With SD cards, is there a difference in speed? I have a current ScanDisk 256MB SD Card that I purchased over a year ago. It doesn't mention anything about spead on the card but if I remember correctly 32X was the fastest on the market. Would it be worth upgrading my SD card to something faster? I tend to run a lot of apps off the card as well as MP3's.

8.) What is the best screen protector, case, and stylus in your opinion?

9.) Can I use QuickBits? Or do I even need to? I'm so used to the slowness of the 7135.

10.) What's the best theme for Zlauncher in your opinion? I used to use Zlauncher but had problems with it w/ the 7135... so I switched to LaunchEm. But I'm comming back to ZLauncher so I'll need a good theme.

Thanks everyone
    #1, 3-6, 8-10: Do a Search - as you said, there is a wealth of knowledge here, and all your questions have most likely been asked before.
    #2 - The Treo's now can send and receive sms, you don't need treo600sms
    #7 - Not that I've seen. Most are about the same

Welcome to the treo world.
    Quote Originally Posted by demoflauchy
    #7 - Not that I've seen. Most are about the same
    There definitely is a difference in speed. I had a Viking 32MB card that came free with a camera, and it was alright at reading, but writing to it was SLOW. I replaced it with a Sandisk 512MB, which is much faster.

Do a search for vfsmark, and you'll find more about it, probably with good recommendations on high speed cards.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by guitarlp
    Hey everyone. First post on this board but I'm happy I found it. There's so much information on this site I can spend weeks reading all of it. Since my new phone arrives tomorrow I have a few questions so I can start loading apps onto it right away. I'm moving on from a 7135 and I think I made the right choice.

1.) Will JOT work on the treo? I know there's a free version of graffiti anywhere, but I've not seen a post about JOT. Would it be better to use graphitti anywhere on the treo?

2.) SMS messaging is not built into the phone correct? So I will need to install Treo600SMS?

3.) Will MegClock work on the treo? I need a good alarm clock program if someone could recommend something.

6.) Is it best to install one app at a time on the treo or when I get it can I install 10 at a time? On my 7135 I have better luck installing one a time.

7.) With SD cards, is there a difference in speed? I have a current ScanDisk 256MB SD Card that I purchased over a year ago. It doesn't mention anything about spead on the card but if I remember correctly 32X was the fastest on the market. Would it be worth upgrading my SD card to something faster? I tend to run a lot of apps off the card as well as MP3's.

9.) Can I use QuickBits? Or do I even need to? I'm so used to the slowness of the 7135.

10.) What's the best theme for Zlauncher in your opinion? I used to use Zlauncher but had problems with it w/ the 7135... so I switched to LaunchEm. But I'm comming back to ZLauncher so I'll need a good theme.

Thanks everyone

You should search as well before you ask. That way it doesn't look like you want someone else to do all of you legwork. That being said I am on vacation so here goes as best as I can....

1) I don't know about jot (look here http://cic.com/support/consumer/) but I used GA a little. For me it works better with the Grafitti 1 files. You can get those with instructions at mytreo.net in the downloads section.

2) SMS is built into the phone. Look in your launcher and you'll see an app built into ROM cleverly called "SMS"

3)I use Bob's Alarm. Huge number of features, constantly updated and CHEAP. 80 thumbs up.

4)I think crash pro works but I don't use it. You can dial ##377 to see what app caused the last crash.

5)From palmgear.com re:textplus "Version 5.4(11/15/03)
    * Added support for HandSpring Treo 600."

6)You can install as many as you want at once. Installing individually aids in pinpointing conflicts. If a problem comes up and you installed one you know what caused it. If you installed ten you have no clue.

7)I have a high speed panasonic and love it. I am one of the few unlucky with sandisk ultra. Mine corrupted after a couple of days and was worthless. Luckily it happened fast so I could replace it.

8)I have a WriteRight and am very happy. There are differing views. I love the quality and have used the same one for 6 months and is as good as new. Cases depend on your needs. Once again, much has been discussed here. Dive right in.

9)Quickbits is NOT compatible with the treo 600.

10)I love my Mac OSX Panther zlauncher theme. Very cheap at palmgear.com.

I hope that helps get you started. You really will have fun learning about this stuff through this web site. it is a tremendous community. Start searching and soon you'll be getting annowed at newbies and telling them to use the search tool.

Thanks everyone
    1) Yes, I remember reading that it will work, but I don't use it, so....try it?
    2) SMS is built-in.
    3) Yes, but Bob's alarm is better. There are also many others. Preference is important here so try a few.
    4) Yes.
    5) Yes.
    6) You can install as many as you want, shouldn't be a problem. The ony time I do the one at a time thing is when I am trying to figure out which app is causing a conflict.
    7) Speed matters. Search the boards for recommended cards.
    8) Boxwave screen protecter ( a pain to install "perfectly", but once on it's great). Case is very user-specific. I currently prefer a holster rather than a case (Proclips holster rocks). I use the included stylus. No complaints, although a pen would be nice, but those have problems....search.
    9) I don't think quickbits works on OS5 w/ ARM processors.
    10) Again a preference thing...can only recommend a search.

HTH,
    -Joe
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    You should search as well before you ask. That way it doesn't look like you want someone else to do all of you legwork. That being said I am on vacation so here goes as best as I can....

1) I don't know about jot (look here http://cic.com/support/consumer/) but I used GA a little. For me it works better with the Grafitti 1 files. You can get those with instructions at mytreo.net in the downloads section.

2) SMS is built into the phone. Look in your launcher and you'll see an app built into ROM cleverly called "SMS"

3)I use Bob's Alarm. Huge number of features, constantly updated and CHEAP. 80 thumbs up.

4)I think crash pro works but I don't use it. You can dial ##377 to see what app caused the last crash.

5)From palmgear.com re:textplus "Version 5.4(11/15/03)
    * Added support for HandSpring Treo 600."

6)You can install as many as you want at once. Installing individually aids in pinpointing conflicts. If a problem comes up and you installed one you know what caused it. If you installed ten you have no clue.

7)I have a high speed panasonic and love it. I am one of the few unlucky with sandisk ultra. Mine corrupted after a couple of days and was worthless. Luckily it happened fast so I could replace it.

8)I have a WriteRight and am very happy. There are differing views. I love the quality and have used the same one for 6 months and is as good as new. Cases depend on your needs. Once again, much has been discussed here. Dive right in.

9)Quickbits is NOT compatible with the treo 600.

10)I love my Mac OSX Panther zlauncher theme. Very cheap at palmgear.com.

I hope that helps get you started. You really will have fun learning about this stuff through this web site. it is a tremendous community. Start searching and soon you'll be getting annowed at newbies and telling them to use the search tool.

Quess you type faster than I do!
    - Albert Einstein
    Quote Originally Posted by ExtraOrdinaryJo
    Quess you type faster than I do!
    Funny!!
  8.    #8  
    Thanks for the input everyone. My bad on the search thing. I came from another forum and these were the questions I asked there (that I spent about an hour searching for) and found nothing. I found this place and just copied and pasted... again, sorry.

Now that I know cases are specific, is there any case out there that's form fitted, with no clear plastic over the keypad and screen? All the form fitted ones I see offer the clear screen for pretection... but I don't like those.
    Thanks for the input everyone. My bad on the search thing. I came from another forum and these were the questions I asked there (that I spent about an hour searching for) and found nothing. I found this place and just copied and pasted... again, sorry.

Now that I know cases are specific, is there any case out there that's form fitted, with no clear plastic over the keypad and screen? All the form fitted ones I see offer the clear screen for pretection... but I don't like those.
    I think the bellagio might fit that description.
    - Albert Einstein
  10.    #10  
    No... but thanks for trying

I'd like nothing to cover the front of the phone at all. Basically I just want something with more of a grip and more proctection around the phone in case of a drop.

I'm thinking of something like the Covertec... but that has a clear pastic screen on the front. It looks like I could possibly cut the screen out though and it would still hold the phone in there just fine.
    I'm in the market for a case too, haven't decided on which one yet...