1.    #1  
    Hi. I got my Treo a couple of weeks ago. For the last few days nobody can hear me when I use my speakerphone. Well, actually, they claim they can just barely hear me. I can hear them fine. Nobody used to complain about difficulty hearing me. They can hear me fine if I hold it up to my face like a normal phone call when speakerphone is on. This leads me to believe that either:
    1. There are separate mics for speaker and normal dial, and the speaker one doesn't work.
    2. The sensitivity of the one and only mic should change when you turn on speakerphone.

If it's #1, that's a hardware/warranty issue.

However, if it's #2, I guess it's software. Any thoughts on what to do?
    Make sure you are on the latest release of firmware. Otherwise I would say it's defective.
  3.    #3  
    I just ran the recently released update. Did that update w/the new firmware as i would expect? Where do you check firmware version?
    Go to the main phone screen, push the menu button, and then select options>phone info.
  5.    #5  
    Ok. Firmware version 3.05 currently.

Come to think of it, the speakerphone problem roughly coincides with when I did the update. Any chance that could have caused it?
    I did a search on speakerphone and found a few people who stated the firmware upgrade was supposed to fix a buzzing noise in the GSM version. Someone also stated that the speakerphone got quieter after the upgrade though.
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $there$ $is$ $only$ $one$ $mic$, $that$ $works$ $whether$ $you$ $are$ $in$ $speakerphone$ $mode$ $or$ $phone$ $mode$. $When$ $you$ $are$ $in$ $phone$ $mode$ $the$ $mic$ $is$ $obviously$ $forced$ $to$ $be$ $pretty$ $close$ $to$ $your$ $mouth$.

In my experience the mic works very well even when a few feet away when in a quiet room. Ambient noise kills it unless it's close, of course, but that's to be expected.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    In my experience the mic works very well even when a few feet away when in a quiet room. Ambient noise kills it unless it's close, of course, but that's to be expected.

My thing is that nobody can hear me when I'm using speakerphone even in a quiet room. What I'm wondering is when toggling between speakerphone / normal phone if some sort of process in the phone software is upping/reducing the sensitivity of the microphone to compensate. If it's the same microphone, it's obviously not broken, because everyone hears me fine when it's in normal phone operation. But even just a couple feet away, everyone is complaining about it being nearly impossible to hear me when I'm using speakerphone.

More thoughts?
    Sorry for the stupid question but do you think the mic whole may be clogged a little with dirt or something? I read somewhere that someone took theres apart and cleaned it with success. If I were you I would just call up PALM One and ask for a warranty exchange.
  10. GTI
    Quote Originally Posted by jnrjr79
    Hi. I got my Treo a couple of weeks ago. For the last few days nobody can hear me when I use my speakerphone. Well, actually, they claim they can just barely hear me. I can hear them fine. Nobody used to complain about difficulty hearing me. They can hear me fine if I hold it up to my face like a normal phone call when speakerphone is on. This leads me to believe that either:
    1. There are separate mics for speaker and normal dial, and the speaker one doesn't work.
    2. The sensitivity of the one and only mic should change when you turn on speakerphone.

If it's #1, that's a hardware/warranty issue.

However, if it's #2, I guess it's software. Any thoughts on what to do?
    All this discussion without saying whether it is a GSM or CDMA phone and the carrier? I have seen this problem on Cingular/GSM.

Phone type and carrier? Thanks.
    Since jnrjr79 is on revision 3.05 the Treo is GSM. CDMA is 1.20.
  12.    #12  
    Yep, it's GSM. Also Cingular.
    Try a soft reset and see if it solves the problem. I've had this a couple of times. Could be software related. Most times, the other party can hear me on speakerphone, but once in a while, they will claim that they can't hear me. I will then do a soft reset and next time, it seems to work fine. Not sure if it's co-incidental or the soft reset solves the problem. The other times I notice when the other party cannot hear me on speakerphone is when the OTHER party's side is very noisy. Almost like the Treo is a non-duplex speakerphone.
    I had the same problem.

After the Update the echo problem with the speaker phone mode was cured, but at the cost of the mic sound level.

Before I could not use speaker phone because the echo now I can't use it because of the low mic level

However I have just got a replacement handset from Orange, which has already been Updated, and the problem is solved.

My old handset was Hardware A, the new one is B.

Orange GMS UK .

This will not help you directly, but I think you are correct when you ask if anyone could write a program to increase the mic level.

Chas
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    Global Posts
    43 Global Posts
    I've just noticed this problem tonight. It would make sense if switching to speakerphone reduced the mike sensitivity because otherwise the mike would pick up what was coming out of the speaker and cause echo. If this was not done right then the mike could become too insensitive to pick up actual speech. Is it at all directional? Obviously that would help. And if we knew it was sensitive to direction we could be alert to this when using the speakerphone function.

There's no way to adjust the mike sensitivity without custom software?

- Dave