Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Thanks nrosser, that makes sense. Obvously the desktop redirectors can't compare to Good/BB in terms if functionality, but I wasn't sure if that was becuase of architectural/technical reasons, or if it's simply because they were later to the market than the server-side solutions.
    I know some of the redirectors can now do some limited calendar syncing along with email, so I would think they will continue to catch-up in terms of functionality. I also don't see why a true IP push rather than an SMS push couldn't be accomplished with a redirector.
    Oh well, it's fun to see the progress towards full wireless synchronization which will no doubt be the norm in the not too distant future.
    Quote Originally Posted by Felipe
    Paul,

unless you installed the mail conduit on your mac, correct, syncing your treo should not effect your email.

What email program are you using on the treo? is that where you have leave mail on server checked?
    I am using the built in Palm One E-Mail V1.02a. What do you mean by the Mail conduit, I have the iSync conduitis that what you mean?
    Just some other random points about GoodLink and the Treo:
    1. Someone mentioned that they miss having a preview pane in GoodLink email. I think that it has been added to the next release, in Beta now. It's also more eye-catching; the current interface is fairly bare-bones in appearance.
    2. I read that the GSM version of the Treo 600 can interrupt data connections to receive calls (but not the CDMA version). I think it's in the TC FAQs (which are quite good). That and overseas travel may sway some people to choose GSM over CDMA despite the GSM network limitations in the States.
    3. GoodLink does drain the battery some. Good [sic] use of battery, IHMO.
    4. I don't know about the capabilities of BlackBerry or alternative email programs on the Treo, but I enjoy being able to read the occasional PDF, DOC, etc. in WYSIWYG from GoodLink, and it does a good job of turning phone numbers and URLs into clickable links in emails that I receive.
    -- John
    John
    Blackberry vs Treo 600. It's kinda like Red Sox vs Yankees, a never ending debate depending if you're a fan of one versus the other.

I've used Nokias, Sony Ericcson, Samsungs, Blackberry/Nextel and now my Treo 600. All for business, without a doubt Treo 600 is the best but I'm surprised and not surpised that IT departments think the Blackberry is. I'm surprised because these guys should be the cutting edge when it comes to technology. I'm not surprised because Blackberry did an excellent job penetrating corporate america with one simple premise .... allow corporate non-techno junkies hit the road and access their emails without lugging a laptop and connecting it via high speed connection (never mind trying to explain wifi). Hence, they introduced the non-phone blackberry's and got everyone hooked. It was only a matter of time when they thought about putting a phone feature (a bad one at that) and, viola, they look like they're cutting edge.

Treo 600 is the most versatile and powerful handheld BUT blackberry will not be displaced ... just yet. Most blackberry users do not have a need beyond their corporate email via MS Office (that includes contacts, calendar,etc.). Ask them why their handheld (i.e., blackberry) does not have:

1. A GPS option for: Golf Yardage, in car direction, boating, traveling abroad etc.)
    2. A full feature clock with four alarms, time zones, world map, etc.
    3. A complete English dictionary and thesaurus.
    4. Ringtones in MIDI or Wav assignable to each contact on you PDA.
    5. MP3 player.
    6. Etc., Etc., Etc.

And they look at you with that stare ...?????.... your treo can do that ???

The number one reason why blackberry is where it is ..... Corporate America pays for it and gives it to their employees who do a lot of travel.

Treo still rules in my book.
    Any one catch "Studio B" on Fox News today? Shepard Smith's Blackberry began to interfere with their headsets. The intereference bled into the live audio feed and was heard at home. This spawed a discussion of the "crackberry" as Shepard called it (he said he hated it) - the other person refered to it as a "dingleberry." Kind of humorous.
    well....that flexibility with the Palm OS that we all love and which draws us to the Treo like moths to a flame is the SAME thing that makes IT managers stay up at night. The fact that we can add in 20,000 various apps onto a device that those guys might (emphasize <might>) have to support and take help calls is one reason that the Treo and a Palm OS device might not get the nod over a fairly restrictive RIM device. Yes, RIM is opening up the device with Java and the like, but you simply can't get golf and ringtones, MIDI files, etc. While we love that, being able to add in all those apps (and thereby making the device inherently more prone to crashes and the like) just doesn't sit well with the typical IT director.

It's kind of a double edged sword.
    This is for Windows only. Those of us of the Mac persuasion don't get a mail conduit just like we don't get a photos conduit.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Reading
    I am using the built in Palm One E-Mail V1.02a. What do you mean by the Mail conduit, I have the iSync conduitis that what you mean?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    well....that flexibility with the Palm OS that we all love and which draws us to the Treo like moths to a flame is the SAME thing that makes IT managers stay up at night. The fact that we can add in 20,000 various apps onto a device that those guys might (emphasize <might>) have to support and take help calls is one reason that the Treo and a Palm OS device might not get the nod over a fairly restrictive RIM device. Yes, RIM is opening up the device with Java and the like, but you simply can't get golf and ringtones, MIDI files, etc. While we love that, being able to add in all those apps (and thereby making the device inherently more prone to crashes and the like) just doesn't sit well with the typical IT director.

It's kind of a double edged sword.
    This can be handled by IT policy as long as you have support from upper management on it. For my users, I simply do not provide them with the sync cable or any Palm software. I set up their handhelds at my management station and give them their Treo 600s with the default apps and Goodlink installed. They are told that any other software is unsupported because it may crash their Treo and the business purpose of their device is for email, web access and as a phone. Since Goodlink syncs everything wirelessly and no client software ever needs to be loaded on their PC, they don't need the cable. Backup is moot because all the data is also in Outlook. My users have been ok with this and are just happy to get the Treo. Power users are told that if they install other apps and their Treo crashes, I will only assist them with hard resetting their handheld. The backup of Goodlink made to the SD card during the initial installation automatically reinstalls Goodlink on the Treo and no further IT administration is needed. Call me an IT troll ; my users love me.
    fair enough, GoodMan - but I'd say your policy, which certainly makes sense for most Treo users, wouldn't fly for someone like me - a longtime PalmOS user, with a ton of various apps and such, with data on my device that I've had for like 4 years (workout tracking, for ex.). I have to be able to install software, and sync/backup at will. I want to be able to run my own show. And as long as someone like me knows that I won't get support for add-on apps, that should be fine.

I think what policies like yours indicates, and what's going to be interesting to see take place over time, is a shift in the ownership model of devices like Treos. Historically, cell phones and PDAs have typically been individually purchased and operated and supported. People buy what they like, what suits their needs, and then add on software or cell phone covers, whatever. With the advent of these devices now connecting to and interacting with corporate IT data, with corporate IT provisioning them, and possibly supporting them, that entire ownership and 'this is my device so I can do with it what I want' model is going to change. That fundamental change in the model will be interesting to watch over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    fair enough, GoodMan - but I'd say your policy, which certainly makes sense for most Treo users, wouldn't fly for someone like me - a longtime PalmOS user, with a ton of various apps and such, with data on my device that I've had for like 4 years (workout tracking, for ex.). I have to be able to install software, and sync/backup at will. I want to be able to run my own show. And as long as someone like me knows that I won't get support for add-on apps, that should be fine.
    You fall in the Power User category of my policy. I don't provide the sync cable and software to users by default but will do so upon request. I will install Goodlink on your handheld, but you are on your own as soon as the Treo leaves my hands. Same goes for people who bring in their own Treos and want Goodlink installed. This is usually enough to deter most users from asking for the sync cable and software.

It's been working pretty well so far. I don't receive calls from my non-techie users because the Treo is stable with just the default apps and Goodlink, and the power users know better than to call me for any problems
    I haven't seen much discussion of Sprint Business Connection so I'll throw a few things out:

- BC has a "push" option that gets my emails to my Treo within 2-3 minutes of when they hit my Exchange inbox. You can also configure it to poll at specific timed intervals or to adjust the intervals automatically based on remaining battery power
    - It handles both my Exchange mail and additional POP accounts
    - In addition to having all the contacts in my Palm, BC gives me access to those in the corporate address book on Exchange
    - You can set it up to give you access to all files in a folder on your PC or the corporate network (great if you have Docs To Go or something similar)
    - The BC service includes web access to your Exchange account that's faster than going through Outlook Web Access (for those times when you can't get VPN working)
    - Yes it runs on your PC and not on the server, but so what? In theory this is somehow inferior but in practice I haven't found that to be so. The integration with Exchange is really smooth and you don't even have to have Outlook running - the only requirement is that your PC is on and the BizConn agent is running.

Overall I am REALLY pleased with BizConn despite being pretty skeptical going into it. In particular I didn't think a desktop-based setup would work well and I was totally wrong. Here are the downsides:

- It would be nice to have your calendar sync over the same connection but I guess that's in the next release.
    - The setup was pretty confusing because Sprint makes you create usernames and passwords for a bunch of different things, and for a while I didn't quite get which one went with which service.
    - Switching between my work email and POP email on the Treo BizConn client is clunky
    - The email client itself doesn't take good advantage of the five-way nav button and the UI overall has some issues, but it's liveable.

That's pretty much it. If you're not sure which way to go, try it out - it can't hurt. It doesn't cost much to try for a couple months and there's no server software to install, so it's worth the effort to take it for a spin.

Andy
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    andy.e
    I completely agree, Sprint's BC (as with other redirectors too) really do a darn nice job, and they're dramtically cheaper than Good. Even if my IT dept. would let me run Good, there's no way I'd pay $300 per year or whatever it costs per user. Of course if they paid all of it for me...
    Folks,

Just some more information about Sprint Business Connection (basically seven repackaged):

1) It is a true "push" connection, and uses SMS to send notification to the device.
    2) It is basically free for business users.
    3) I use the personal edition, and just leave it running 24X7 on an old PC in our office. Basically whenever my laptop is off the or Outlook is off, these messages start accumulating on the TREO. Then you can respond to them / etc. When you log on with your laptop, everything get's downloaded to your PST and dissapears on he TREO (and awesome solution).

Calendar synchronization is available in the current beta seven release (to sign up, you can go to beta.seven.com). The beta program is currently free, and any users with a TREO can sign up for it.

I was on the beta for a while but ran into a problem which couldn't be resolved, so I went back to Sprint Business Connection (same thing, fewer features).

I think anyone on Sprint that tries this solution will be amazed.

Finally, I looked into Goodlnk. Even if your company already has the server software, the license for the TREO 600 is $330/year off their website. Give me a break -- that close to $30 a month -- no way.

Even if it's better than seven/SBC, these are free!

Glenn

Glenn
    I've used BBerry for 3 years, and my latest company has standardized on BBerry.

After I bought the Treo600 I introduced Good Technologies to our IT department. As it turns out GoodLink provides a much better wireles level of service and a much better user experience (wireless sync of e-mail, contacts, calendar, notes, todos, etc.)

The GoodLink service costs my company half (yes, half!) of what we pay monthly for a BlackBerry user ($60 blackberry service vs. $30 with GoodLink).

Also, Treo users buy their own phones, so there's over $400 in saving to our IT budget for every BlackBerry we don't need to issue to employees.

With 2 or 3 Treo users in your company you can easly show cost savings to going with Treo+GoodLink (1 user may not be enough because when I last checked they had a minimum of 5 user licenses with their server - that's the same as 2.5 BlackBerry user licenses).

At my company we now have 7 Treo users (including our CEO). It's a bit of a status symbol, and as more BBerry users convert to Treo our company saves more and more money!
    Quote Originally Posted by andy.e
    I haven't seen much discussion of Sprint Business Connection so I'll throw a few things out:

- Yes it runs on your PC and not on the server, but so what? In theory this is somehow inferior but in practice I haven't found that to be so.
    For anyone in corp world, who travels and has a laptop this is an unworkable solution. The whole point of BlackBerry service is to be 'pluged' in to your company and business when you are on the go. Most of the folks who have BBerry devices also have laptops, not desktops.

If your company issues you a BBerry, and your primary usage pattern is to check your email while you are in the office attending meetings, because you can't wait to get back to your desk to check your email, then you are wasting big $ for your company.

If however, you are on the road often, then BBerry is a great business tool (and Treo is even better) ... however, a desktop based redirector solution is probably not going to help you (9 out of 10) -- unless you can snag a spare desktop PC somewhere, and leave it on your corporate network 24/7, while you are traveling.
    true, bobo, unless you leave the laptop behind, and do all your email, etc via the Treo. That's what I do, and I use a redirector - Visto in my case.
    Bobo,

I agree - however I think a desktop redirector in all cases is a teaser to sell the Enterprise edition.

Regardless, a few years from now, all this stuff will be moot. E-mail, calendars, etc will be handled bu ISP's / Telco companies and push e-mail will be the standard for all cell phone users.

RIM, Goodlink, and Seven may or may not be in business.

Glenn
    http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...tsync+internet

Sync your contacts and calendar over internet.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SnapperMail/

Snappermail does Imap over SSL or POP3

Hope this helps.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ix0ye
    http://www.pdaphonehome.com/forums/s...tsync+internet

Sync your contacts and calendar over internet.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SnapperMail/

Snappermail does Imap over SSL or POP3

Hope this helps.
    Snappermail doesn't do you much good for corporate email unless you have IMAP access to your mail server. I would guess that most people don't.
    bobo, the BizConn client can run on any PC on your network, so if you don't have a separate desktop you can either get a colleague to run it or have IT run it on one of their machines. It's secure so this doesn't allow others to access your email. Multiple Treo users can share a connection on one machine as well so you don't need a separate PC running for each Treo user.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast