Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nrosser
    dstrauss - to my knowledge, Snapper doesn't offer any type of solution for Exchange, right? (unless one can get one's IT group to open up a POP3 or IMAP port, which is probably unlikely). Like the original poster, I too am an Exchange user, and have lusted after Snapper from afar - is there a way to get Snapper to work without a POP or IMAP port (I didn't think there was). Let me know....thanks.
    I think you're right, you have to open a port - with a large organization, I guess that's rather unlikely. Hope I didn't get hopes up too high.
    Remember, the "P" in PDA stands for personal.
    If it works for you, it is "P"erfect.
    I've introduced GoodLink to my last two companies. Very straightforward to set up and maintain. I wasn't aware that it didn't support certain BlackBerrys, that's interesting. Our people have Treo600s, so no direct experience.
    I wouldn't get too hung up on the polling/push issue. My direct experience is that it's transparent. I've had near real-time email conversations while driving down the highway.*
    IMHO, what's important is that it's synced over the air without docking, and that "sync" means just that: what you do on your PC is immediately available on your phone, and vice-versa, including deletions.
    After a while you learn to paste directions into your calendar items when you're in the office so that as you are driving you can pull them up on the way.
    No experience with the BlackBerry, but plenty of experience with the "BlackBerry Effect."

-- John

*Professional driver on a closed course.
    John
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    what's the battery drain like with Goodlink, and how is it triggered to sync? Is it a true data push any time there's a change to Outlook or the device?
    Quote Originally Posted by dseese
    Too bad there's no way to get the e-mail client to automatically get new messages when a specific type of SMS message is recieved (VeriChat does this trick to get new IM messages).
    I am using TreoHelper, which checks incoming SMS's messages for specific criteria that you set, and if met it launches my SnapperMail to perform a download. Works well.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbeans
    IMHO, what's important is that it's synced over the air without docking, and that "sync" means just that: what you do on your PC is immediately available on your phone, and vice-versa, including deletions.
    It's not immediate, but I perform a wireless sync using the HotSync application from time to time throughout the day and it keeps my calendar, task list, etc. up -to-date. I would love it to "just be sync'd" but I have heard a lot of complaints about GoodLink's CPU usage, etc. Also, I have tried to get pricing from GoodLink but it is nowhere on their web site and I don't want to give them all my information just for a quote...
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dudemasicus
    It's not immediate, but I perform a wireless sync using the HotSync application from time to time throughout the day and it keeps my calendar, task list, etc. up -to-date. I would love it to "just be sync'd" but I have heard a lot of complaints about GoodLink's CPU usage, etc. Also, I have tried to get pricing from GoodLink but it is nowhere on their web site and I don't want to give them all my information just for a quote...
    I've done this before syncing to my home PC. It worked fine, but was very slow - even with Sprint's Vision. Hotsync probably took a good 10 minutes.

Furthermore, how would you get this to work with your work pc, which is what I would think the whole point would be...? I'd assume you'd need VPN software on the treo to get in, but wouldn't you also need to have your IT dept. open port 14238? I can't imagine most IT folks would allow that.
    Blackberry or Treo?

You may want to consider reliabilty. I've not heard of someone having to replace 6 Blackberrys.
    I can only answer in respect to "push" email. Just use Snappermail and set up the options to check your email every 5, 10 or whetever period you decide - it will check at that period continously and sigal alarm if incoming email is received, although I use a voice alert "You have new email".... So that is just as good as "push" - although you can use a messenger program like "Chatter" that will use push type connectivity and download your email as it arrives...but I prefer Snappermail.

In respect to Blackberry, I have never used but your are limited to what applications you can use , very limited, whereas the Treo can use thousands of palm programs of all kinds. I would stik to a treo if your only concern is email..and do as I suggest above.

BTW. I also recommend Verichat for MSN messenger on your Treo, great tool and beats paying for sms.
    Quote Originally Posted by Consul
    although I use a voice alert "You have new email"....
    How do you do this? Can this be done with other email programs as well?
    I use Lighwav to allocate MP3 audio files to each contact and then when that contact rings my Treo, it responds with the audio John Smith calling...or Home calling..or whatever I have allocated to that contact. Search and download Lightwav

To make up the MP3 sound files I used TextAlould MP3, you can search and use a trial version...once you have made up your various clips using that program you cna upload them to your treo ..then go into the media card in your treo....
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    I've done this before syncing to my home PC. It worked fine, but was very slow - even with Sprint's Vision. Hotsync probably took a good 10 minutes.

Furthermore, how would you get this to work with your work pc, which is what I would think the whole point would be...? I'd assume you'd need VPN software on the treo to get in, but wouldn't you also need to have your IT dept. open port 14238? I can't imagine most IT folks would allow that.
    If you set the conduit on the Treo to only sync the Calendar, Phone Book, etc, it really does not take that much time - minute or two maybe... I don't do it constantly but two or three times a day.

As far as work is concerned, we're not using VPN on the Treo's. Been testing things now for about 8 months with no issues. The port does have to be opened in the firewall, but the limited range of Vision addresses that our Treo's get assigned are given access through the firewall using 14238, but only to specific client IP's....
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    Secondarily, you do increase the possibility of a missed call during all of that polling.
    Yes, you do run the risk of missing a call if it is polling. But one major complaint I have heard from Goodlink users is that they don't know when the system is receiving data... People report that they miss calls, or that they go to make a call and cannot. Anyone shed any light on how is works, or is supposed to work?
    Quote Originally Posted by dudemasicus
    Yes, you do run the risk of missing a call if it is polling. But one major complaint I have heard from Goodlink users is that they don't know when the system is receiving data... People report that they miss calls, or that they go to make a call and cannot. Anyone shed any light on how is works, or is supposed to work?
    Goodlink is full synchronization. A data connection is used whenever it sends or receives a change. If you read a message on the Treo, the read message status gets sent over to your Exchange server and you will see it marked as read in Outlook a few seconds later. If you get a new email or create a new note, task or appointment or modify a contact in Outlook, that change will initiate a data connection on your Treo and get sent to your handheld within seconds of it being done in Outlook. If no changes are made on either side, it doesn't keep the connection busy and you can receive voice calls. If a call comes in at the exact time that the data connection is in progress, it will go straight to voicemail. As for dialing out, I have never had a problem dialing out while Goodlink is running. During a voice call, you can view your email and make changes and even write email and click send. However, the message goes to the Outbox and sits there until the voice call is finished. After the voice call is over, all queued up synchronization will be processed automatically and emails will be sent/received.

I was also worried about incoming calls going straight to voicemail. I easily receive over 100 emails most days. To test the likelihood of a voice call coming in at the same time Goodlink synchronizes, I moved 100 archived emails back into my Inbox on Outlook. Goodlink immediately began to synchronize this and I saw the archived messages steadily showing up on my Treo Inbox (T-Mobile). I immediately dialed my number and was amazed that the Treo began to ring and I was able to catch the voice call when a split second ago it was still receiving emails. I then hung up the voice call and within a second of hanging up, the Treo began to receive another 15 emails. I repeated this procedure and redialed another 8 times before I finally got one voice call going straight to voicemail. I had received approximately 60 of the 100 emails inbetween those 8 calls that I made in under 2 minutes. I am still pretty amazed at how fast the Treo can start/stop a data connection. I thought it would take a few seconds to shutdown and a few seconds to start up which would be bad for incoming calls, but that has not been the case with my GSM Treo. Missing incoming calls has not been an issue for me at all. (Unfortunately I was too lazy to test the CDMA Treos for this issue when I had them.. I've since returned them to Sprint due to poor coverage for most of the users in my company.) If you are expecting an important incoming phone call, you can also set Goodlink to work offline. I have never had to use this feature.

Goodlink definitely uses up your battery a lot more. I've had days where I don't make phone calls or even use my Treo at all, but I leave Goodlink running to keep it in sync. After receiving 100+ emails throughout the day along with all the synchronization changes that result from me checking my Inbox in Outlook, my battery life drops below 50%. If I don't charge my Treo daily I don't think I could make it through the next day even if I don't make voice calls or view my emails on it. I don't know how long it lasts for others with less email. As a side note, if you want to conserve battery, setting Goodlink to work offline will help you here also.

I migrated my company from Blackberry to Goodlink after I demoed it for 30 days. Needless to say, I'm never going back. Hands down, Goodlink is better. I'm just waiting for the Motorola MPx to come out now so that I can test Goodlink on that. Goodlink on Pocket PC has even more Outlook features such as preview pane and better multitask support. Battery life will be key here though. If I can't make it through the day with the MPx, it's as good as trash.
    Can I clear something up. When I delete mail from my Treo does it also remove it from Apple mail when I next use iSync? If so how can I stop this from happening. I am having a problem with disappearing mail on my mac at the moment and I wonder if my Treo is responsible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Reading
    Can I clear something up. When I delete mail from my Treo does it also remove it from Apple mail when I next use iSync? If so how can I stop this from happening. I am having a problem with disappearing mail on my mac at the moment and I wonder if my Treo is responsible.

what email program are you using on the treo and what type of server is the mail coming from? pop or imap?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    I am using Apple Mail at home, and I collect using Pop3. The Treo collects mail from the same account also using Pop3, but I have ticked "Leave a copy on the server" whic normall would mean that the Treo would collect a copy of the mail.

Now the diference between the Treo and say another computer is that the Treo "Syncs" with the Mac, but as far as I was concerned the Hotsync process has nothing to do with emal.

Is this correct?
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    The one advantage dedicated BB devices like the RIM 957 have over the Treo/Good solution is you can still have a workable push solution if your mail server is something other than Win32/Exchange (in my case Linux). My BB has dedicated email address @blackberry.net, which through procmail scripts can be used to push emails while retaining copies on the mail server. The downside is mail duplication management, which I have been living with in the absence of a bi-directional mail sync on Linux.

It's frustrating. This continues to be a stumbling block for me to move away converging my Blackberry, Tungsten T3 and Motorola V600 into the Treo. Based on the specs of the Ace, I can reasonably retire the Palm and the phone in favor of a Treo Ace. However, unless I'm missing something, the BB push experience is essentially lost on the Treo if you're not on an Exchange platform, making it only a 2/3 solution for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul Reading
    I am using Apple Mail at home, and I collect using Pop3. The Treo collects mail from the same account also using Pop3, but I have ticked "Leave a copy on the server" whic normall would mean that the Treo would collect a copy of the mail.

Now the diference between the Treo and say another computer is that the Treo "Syncs" with the Mac, but as far as I was concerned the Hotsync process has nothing to do with emal.

Is this correct?
    Paul,

unless you installed the mail conduit on your mac, correct, syncing your treo should not effect your email.

What email program are you using on the treo? is that where you have leave mail on server checked?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Probably a dumb question here, but I'm trying to better understand the advantages of a server-side solution like Good or BB.

Here's how I understand how it works: You have a dedicated BB or Good server which is connected to your mail server. Any new emails, calendar changes, etc, get picked up by the BB/Good server and forwarded to an outside machine somewhere at Rim's headquarters, which then shoots the email to your Treo.

Whereas with the "desktop redirector" solutions, there is no server - your PC essentially does what the BB/Good server does, correct?

If this is all true, then what's the real advantage of the server-side architecture of BB/Good? Is it simply that it keeps everything in one place that can be administered by the IT department? Just curious, thanks!
    well, the server side has TONS of advantages, but also comes along with some hassles, namely the IT guys usually don't want to d*** around with yet another software app that they have to keep up with.
    So - some server advantages:
    - the sync is usually rock solid, since your personal PC isn't in the process. Lots of folks need to take their laptops when they travel, and that makes the redirector method useless (Sprint has a quasi-way around this, where a co-worker's PC can intercede as the redirector, but I've always had little to no success with that)
    - the direct connection to Exchange often will give more features than a redirector - subfolders, more than mail, etc - a la Good.
    - redirectors often depend on a hidden SMS trigger function to initiate a pull of mail, and every now and then carriers might have performance issues with SMS. Many redirectors just use a polling approach, every X minutes, which can drain the battery.

On an overall basis, server-side is just much more reliable and more robust, but not everyone has an IT group that is willing to look at and support another app. Thus the redirector space.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast