1.    #1  
    I use PGP on my desktop (Mac) and can export the keys.

I found on-line a PGP program for Palm, but when I loaded it into the Treo it didn't work.

Is anyone out there using PGP on Treo?

I wanted to take Word files back and forth on a SD card and have them PGP's and be able to open them on either end.

Is there any other kind of Encrytption software for Treo to add security onto files - other than just the "Security" feature that "hides" files or password protects them. That doesn't really seem that secure to me, like a PGP program that encrypts them.

Any ideas on a way to have a phone number list that is separate from the main "contacts" area - that can also be protected or encrypted.

Thanks!!
    Ilium Software eWallet includes a contact template. Clicking on the phone number in a contact card will dial the number. Cards are stored in a password protected, encrypted database.

It will do much more than just protect a separate contact list: there are over thirty included templates.

http://www.iliumsoft.com/site/ew/ew_ssp.htm
    Quote Originally Posted by erikaf

I found on-line a PGP program for Palm, but when I loaded it into the Treo it didn't work.

I wanted to take Word files back and forth on a SD card and have them PGP's and be able to open them on either end.

Is there any other kind of Encrytption software for Treo to add security onto files - other than just the "Security" feature that "hides" files or password protects them. That doesn't really seem that secure to me, like a PGP program that encrypts them.

Any ideas on a way to have a phone number list that is separate from the main "contacts" area - that can also be protected or encrypted.

Thanks!!
    You can use mEncryptor for encrypting files on the external card. mEncryptor uses industry standard AES 256bits encryption. check it out at www.toysoft.ca
    Want mp3/wav ringtones , Audio and Video recording for your Treo600/650? visit www.toysoft.ca
    Secret from LinkeSOFT uses the IDEA encryption algorithm and it pretty good.

With any encryption program, check which algorithm they are using. Some are using methods that are not as widely respected as IDEA encryption. And as is mentioned by LinkeSOFT:
    Some other security programs brag about using longer key lengths of up to 1024 bit. For any practical purposes, a key length longer as 128 Bit adds no extra security: Your password length determines your effective key length. To use a true 1024 bit key, you'd need to enter a password of (1024/7=) 146 characters which is not very practical on a handheld. If you use only a 10 character password, your effective key length is approximately (10*7=) 70 bit and it makes no differences whether you use a 128 bit encryption algorithm or one with a longer internal key length.

However, longer keys degrade program performance and increase memory usage.
    I haven't got my Treo yet but I'm looking at this software. Hope this helps

http://www.pdadefense.com/
  6. ksp
    I use PGP Corporate Desktop 7.1.1 on Windows 2000 and use PGP Mobile 2.0.2 (almost certain - it is the latest product version that can be purchased on their site; 2.0 does not work, 2.0.2 should work) on the Treo 600. I use my PGP keys to encrypt all sensitive data in contact notes, memo and calendar note fields.

You should have no problems encrypting and decrypting any text field that can hold large data values. The only issue that I have had with PGP Mobile is its reliance on the Command Bar to launch the encrypt/decrypt menu options. I use Treo Butler (hold menu button) to access the Command Bar.

Take a look at pgp.com. Not sure how the Mobile would work with the Mac version, as the keys are imported into PGP Palm OS Key Ring through an interface provided through the Corporate Desktop client application.

HTH.

Quote Originally Posted by erikaf

Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ksp View Post
    I use PGP Corporate Desktop 7.1.1 on Windows 2000 and use PGP Mobile 2.0.2 (almost certain - it is the latest product version that can be purchased on their site; 2.0 does not work, 2.0.2 should work) on the Treo 600. I use my PGP keys to encrypt all sensitive data in contact notes, memo and calendar note fields.

You should have no problems encrypting and decrypting any text field that can hold large data values. The only issue that I have had with PGP Mobile is its reliance on the Command Bar to launch the encrypt/decrypt menu options.

HTH.
    So a couple of years have gone by since this last post and I'm trying to use PGP Mobile 2.0.2 with a Treo 650. Many of the functions don't work at all in this Palm OS -- like file encryption. But wiping of memos works, and so does the Vault. Or they seem to.

I've been able to paste two public keys into a memo field, from my desktop, and import them into PGP Mobile (import from memo). They check out fine. But when I try the same with the corresponding private keys, PGP Mobile reports that they're invalid or corrupt, and won't use them.

Has anyone managed to get private keys into PGP Mobile on a Treo? How?

(I saw the poster mentioned PGP Desktop 7.x having a provision for this. I'm using PGP Desktop 9.5, and it doesn't.

Thanks!
    Interesting that you should revive this. I have a need for encrypted email over my handheld but there doesn't appear to be anything available in PGP-land for that.
    Well, as I mentioned, I'm able to import the PGP public keys into PGP Mobile 2.0.2. I just succeeded in sending an encrypted email to one of those public key owners, and it decrypted fine with the corresponding private key. What I can't seem to do is import a private key into PGP Mobile, so I can't RECEIVE encrypted email.

Would love to have help on that.
    From what I understand, you can import the key using memopad, at least this is how it was done on version 1.5. From the documentation:

Importing a private key using a Memo Pad record:

"1. Open the Palm desktop software and PGPkeys on your computer.
    2. In PGPkeys, select the private key you want to move to your handheld,
    then pull down the Keys menu and select Export.
    Make sure to select only one private key!
    3. On the Export Keys to File screen, select a name and a location for the ASCII key file, and make sure to check the Include private key(s) checkbox.
    This checkbox is not checked by default, and if you forget to do it, the
    private portion of the key will not be exported.
    4. Open the ASCII key file using a text editor and copy the entire text of the
    file. As you can see, the public and the private parts of the key have their
    own sections.
    5. In the Palm desktop software, open a new Memo Pad record and paste the
    text of the ASCII key file into it, then save the Memo Pad record.
    6. Exit from your Palm desktop software and from PGPkeys.
    7. Perform a HotSync. Make sure the Memo Pad conduit is set to Synchronize
    the files or Desktop overwrites handheld.
    8. On your handheld, open PGPwireless for Palm OS, tap the Menus icon,
    and select Import from Memo from the Tools menu.
    9. On the Select Memo screen, tap the record labelled ----BEGIN PGP
    PRIVATE KEY BLOCK----, then tap OK.
    10.On the PGP screen, tap OK to import the key.
    11.On the PGP Warning screen, tap OK.
    12.On the Key Properties screen, tap Check.
    13.When the key passes the self-signature check, tap OK. The Keys screen
    appears, showing the key you just imported. The name of the key should
    be bold, indicating that the private part of the key was successfully
    imported."

Does anyone have version 2.0.2 available? I have version 1.5 but it only works on OS 4 or less.
    I use Adarian ID (and Adarian Money) for a long time. And they work like a champ.

www.adarian.com
    Adarian is a good product for what it does, but I need a PDA version of PGP. 2.0 (which I have) does not work on my Treo, but 2.02 does apparently. Does anyone know where I can find a copy of PGP 2.02?