1.    #1  
    Hi to all,

this afternoon I'm spending 5 hours traveling so I decided to test and explain how multiparty calling works and how multiple calls can be managed on the Treo 600

First of all:
    I'm speaking about GSM NETWORKS. In italy (where I live) and in the whole Europe there is no 2G CDMA network! So please test it on Sprint and let me know, but it is not supposed to work on that network.

In gsm networks an user has (if supported from the operator) multiparty calling available: up to 5 users can be connected together. Both ingoing and outgoing calls can be mixed in the multiconference.

The phone that starts the conference (the mixing point) has the right to manage the conference.

...continues...

P.S. This apply as well to the Treo 650 GSM
    Last edited by Ettore; 10/22/2005 at 08:33 AM.
  2.    #2  
    This is the scenario:

John calls Jim and Jim answers
    Jane calls Jim. Jim sees the call waiting advice and decides to answer. So now Jim is connected to Jane and John is on hold.

...continues...
    Last edited by Ettore; 06/16/2005 at 05:34 AM.
  3.    #3  
    Jim can swap between the two calls putting on hold the other call.

Jim can also choose to conference the three calls. At this point John Jim and Jane can speak and hear each other.

Jim was the one to estabilish the conference so he has the right to manage the conference: i.e. he can add more users to the conference both calling Bob or answering a call from Bob and then inserting this new call in the conference.
    Up to 4 calls can be in the conference with Jim.

But let's go back at Jim John and Jane speaking to each other

...continues...
    Last edited by Ettore; 07/12/2004 at 07:52 AM.
  4.    #4  
    in the conference: Jim can do more: he can decide to take apart Jane from the conference to (e.g.) tell her something John doesn't have to know; then Jim can re-insert Jane in the conference and take apart John and so on....
    This works the same way whatever number of users other than Jim (up to 4) are connected to the conference.

...continues...
    Last edited by Ettore; 06/16/2005 at 05:35 AM.
  5.    #5  
    Keep in mind that this is part of the GSM standard, so if the network has acquired this functionality from the network provider (Nokia, Siemens or Ericsson mainly) the user has the functionality available.

But different handsets offer different options.
    Some of them (I'm aware just of Nokia) offers the user an interface to perform every task described before.

...continues...
    Last edited by Ettore; 07/12/2004 at 07:54 AM.
  6.    #6  
    But even if the handset doesn't have the commands available in the menu the user can still use this features.

Here is how.

When while John and Jim are talking and Jane calls in, Jim answers, two separated calls are going on with Jane and Jim speaking while John is on hold.

...continues...
    Last edited by Ettore; 07/12/2004 at 07:54 AM.
  7.    #7  
    At this point Jim sends to the network the command "2": he writes "2" on the keypad and pushes the send key (usually the green key). This is the swap command, now Jane is on hold and Jim and John are speaking. Jim can continue sending the "2" command to the network as long as he wants to switch between the calls.

Jim can send the command "3" to start the conference between himself and John and Jane.

Now Bob calls Jim. Jim sees the call waiting and answers Bob. now two calls are up: a multiconference with John and Jane and a call with Bob.
    While Jim speaks with Bob the conference is on hold, but John and Jane can still speak each other.

Jim can send to the network the command "2" to switch between the conference and the call with Bob, or the command "3" to let Bob join the conference with John and Jane.

...continues...
    Last edited by Ettore; 07/11/2004 at 06:28 PM.
  8.    #8  
    Now forget about Bob. Let's go back at Jim having a multiconference with John and Jane.

If Jim wants to hang the call with John and continue speaking with Jane: he can!

You have to remember that the first call that have been setted up was the call with John: call number one and the second was with Jane: call number two.

...continues...
    Last edited by Ettore; 07/11/2004 at 06:28 PM.
  9.    #9  
    If Jim wants to hang the call with John he has to send to the network the hang command "1" followed from the number of the call to hang: "1" in this case.
    So Jim sends to the net the command "11".

Otherwise if Jim wants to stop speaking to Jane and continue speaking to John he has to send the command "12".

...continues...
    Last edited by Ettore; 07/11/2004 at 06:29 PM.
  10.    #10  
    If Jim wants to extract John from the conference he has to send the command "extract call from conference" i.e. "2" followed from the number of the call: "1". So Jim sends the command "21".

At this point two different calls are going on: one with Jane (and eventually with Bob and Mike) that is on hold and one with John (the active call).

Now, as before, Jim can switch between this two calls sending the command "2" or merge again the calls sending the command "3"

....continues...
    Last edited by Ettore; 07/12/2004 at 05:46 PM.
  11.    #11  
    Jim can now continue extracting partners from the call or hang up the conference pushing the red key or sending the command "end" i.e. "1" to the net.

The end.

P.S. The post is splitted because I was writing from my Treo 600 in a car. So I didn't want to risk to write it all over again.

P.S.2 Somebody had some problems so a little clarification follows:
    On the Treo 600 there is no green or red button, so what you have to do is switch to the dialpad screen touch the correct numbers (i.e. commands) and click on the "Connect" key
    Last edited by Ettore; 07/12/2004 at 05:45 PM.
    Ciao

Ettore
    This should be added to the FAQ section if it's not already there.
    I am admittedly a simpleton. I have a basic question I think was answered above, but I'm not smart enough to figure it out. I am using a T6 AT&T GSM.

I would like to find out how I disconnect caller #2 or #3 from a Conference Call without hanging up on the other participants. Is there an easier way than what is posted up above with "11's" and "22's"?

Thank you for your help and patience.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by eEditor
    I would like to find out how I disconnect caller #2 or #3 from a Conference Call without hanging up on the other participants. Is there an easier way than what is posted up above with "11's" and "22's"?
    NO! With the T600 there isn't an easier way.
    Ciao

Ettore
  15.    #15  
    up

Has anyone tried on Sprint ? Or ATT? Or T-mobile
    Ciao

Ettore
    Any chance someone could create an app that enters these commands for us just tapping buttons on the screen??
    This does not work on SPCS.
    This FAQ should put the subject to rest

How To: Make a conference call
    When I had the Treo 180, i use to be able to extract a caller from the conference by just tapping on the screen. With the Treo 600, it didn't have this function. this is helpful! Can I have u to 5 seperate people on hold? or do I have to group them into two parties and swap between the two? Or let me rephrase: can I swap calls between 4-5 people, in order? Because I know the Treo screen will only have room to show two callers, doesn't scroll down or anything.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by CHiNNuTS
    When I had the Treo 180, i use to be able to extract a caller from the conference by just tapping on the screen. With the Treo 600, it didn't have this function. this is helpful! Can I have u to 5 seperate people on hold? or do I have to group them into two parties and swap between the two? Or let me rephrase: can I swap calls between 4-5 people, in order? Because I know the Treo screen will only have room to show two callers, doesn't scroll down or anything.
    You can have a "group" and a "single caller" at the same time. No more than this.
    Ciao

Ettore