1.    #1  
    Hi, I am gearing up to buy a treo 600 and ditch my land lines. One of the sticking points is that we have to have a fax machine. Is there some way that I can use my fax machine with the cell number? Any wisdom or links to other sites that may address this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    You can use your PC or Laptop as a fax. Go to www.maxemail.com I gave up a land line a few years ago. Anyone that sends me a fax goes to my laptop wherever I am. It is extreamly convenient. I can even email people that dont have email addresses but have access to fax machines through my outlook.

Take a look at the website and see if it will work for you.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, so if someone was sending me a fax that I needed to sign...

1. They would fax it to the fax number
    2. I would receive it in an email as a PDF.
    3. I would print it and sign it.
    4. I would scan it and email it to them as a PDF.
    5. And they would receive it as a fax. Or alternatively I could just email it to them.

Is this how it would work??

this looks like it might be a viable solution. Is this the standard approach to the no fax machine/land line situation. Are there other methods I should evaluate? Is there a way to use your fax machine with the cell phone number??
    Your multi-step solution outlined above is correct. That's how I do it, although in practice it's much simpler than all that sounds, since the computer automates most of the process.

Also, I prefer uReach.

www.ureach.com
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I have used efax (www.efax.com) to do this for several years. Another option.
    There is a slightly simpler way. I got both my signature and my individual handwriting turned into a font. That way I can sign and write replys without having to print the fax. I can then save and re-send the fax.

Extreamly easy for someone like myself who travels a lot for business. There is never a problem with a client sending you information and being able to quickly reply.

I also have my office phones forward to my cell phone when I'm traveling. Nobody knows where I am, but I can handle the work from anywhere.
  7.    #7  
    RoxyDad,

The signature and handwriting font sound like a great idea. How do you have these made? Also, what steps if any are needed to electronically sign the PDF file--can you just type in the document or are there other steps? Thanks so much for your wisdom.
    For my signature I used sigfont at www.sigfont.com For my handwriting I used some guy out of Australia. I will do a google and try to locate him, but there are others if you do a google search.

On some PDF Documents you can write on it especially if you have the full version of Acrobat and not just the reader. I have come across instances where the document was so locked that I had to open it up under Adobe Photoshop and then write on it.

You also have the option with MaxEmail to have them send it to you in a Tiff format instead of a pdf. I use the pdf.

Hope this helps
  9.    #9  
    Great, thanks for all the helpful info. I think I am all set now and ready to make the transition.