1.    #1  
    I've just posted my thoughts about why I feel that Palm is missing a huge opportunity by not positioning the Treo 600 as an entertainment device instead of primarily as a business gadget.

You can find the article here.

Looking forward to your own thoughts and comments about this.

Cheers, W
    Last edited by wanderman; 09/12/2004 at 06:59 AM.
    well, it is focused as a business tool
    wnt an entertainment device? get a clie
    i think the entertainment device opportunities for the treo begin and end at mp3.

It can do this very well with pocket tunes.

because of its low res screen resolution and low resolution camara, it is a strech to do much else.

yes it can show video, and yes it can record "movies," but it cant do this well.

if the rumored ace has the beter resolution and camara, then it would be a better fit as movie viewer and recorder.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    160x112 video is fine for me...
    One other enternainment option - I just installed the Audible.com application for their audio books. So far I am very impressed with how easy they made it. I've had trouble with burning CDs of Audible files, but they've done a beautiful job for the Treo 600.
    Bejeweled and Insaniquarium are better on the Treo than most games I've seen on any other phones.
    But being a unified device with a keyboard the Treo is great for looking up clubs, restaurants,pubs, bars and movies in one hand while drinking a pint in the other

Of course phones with hi-res screens are going to look better, but they don't have as many games available as the Palm platform.

If you like portable gaming get a Tapwave!
  7.    #7  
    Thanks a lot all for the comments and feedback.

wolwol: Sony have decided to stop manufacturing Palm's except in Japan... so no Clie for us with or without a phone...

Felipe: agree with you and that's partly the point of the article that the Treo _could_ be a 'great' entertainment device but that at the moment it's not...

Donald: a true early adopter!

Brewster: thanks a lot, I had completely forgotten about Audible and have now added this to the article - very cool service indeed BTW

Cyril: 100% with you on Bejeweled (after 500+ sessions you could say that I'm hooked on the game...) + thanks for the tip on Insaniquarium...

Cheers, W.
    Quote Originally Posted by wanderman
    Thanks a lot all for the comments and feedback.

wolwol: Sony have decided to stop manufacturing Palm's except in Japan... so no Clie for us with or without a phone...

Felipe: agree with you and that's partly the point of the article that the Treo _could_ be a 'great' entertainment device but that at the moment it's not...

Donald: a true early adopter!

Brewster: thanks a lot, I had completely forgotten about Audible and have now added this to the article - very cool service indeed BTW

Cyril: 100% with you on Bejeweled (after 500+ sessions you could say that I'm hooked on the game...) + thanks for the tip on Insaniquarium...

Cheers, W.
    yes its going to be discontinued soon, but you can get one right now
    or a tapwave
  9.    #9  
    I like this issue which boils down to 'Jack of all trades, Master of none' when assessing the Treo 600 because it opens the door to an interesting conversation.

Some people buy the iPod because they want a 'master' of music
    Some people buy the Zodiac because they want a 'master' of games
    Some people buy the Canon Digital Rebel camera because they want a 'master' of photography
    You get my point...

However, very few people will buy the 'master' of _everything_ because leaving other things aside it would be extremely expensive.

So some people will have a 'master' of music but a 'jack' camera and thus will be happy to use the Treo for this purpose for example.
    Some people will have a 'master' of games and a 'master' of music but will be happy to have a totally conventional mobile phone for example.

The Treo 600 fits a particular group of people and it is up to Palm to now find them and sell them on the particular virtues of this device (which are many).

Cheers, W.
    the ipod is not the master of music far better products at a far cheaper price are available.
  11.    #11  
    iPod used as an 'illustration'... Each person is naturally entitled his/her own choice of master... ;-)
    Wanderman, I agree with alot of your points, but you have to look from the perspective of where the Treo came from. Compared to other P1 devices, the selection of bundled software is pretty anemic if not outright pathetic. This is b/c Handspring when they first released the device probably didn't have the adequate resources to bundle any apps. But just look at other devices like the TE or Z72 that P1 recently released. P1 bundles DTG, Versamail, Kinoma, Adobe Acrobat Reader, Solitaire, PalmReader, powerOne personal calculator, Audible player and a Java J2ME runtime etc. I fully expect P1 to offer similar bundle package with the Ace (they would be foolish not to)...

As far as gaming, the 320x320 rez screen and faster proc will be a huge boon for the Treo. However, they leap in multimedia functionality will not arrive until P1 releases a Cobalt based Treo which alas I don't think will happen until mid to late 2005 at the earliest...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  13.    #13  
    gfunkmusic: 100% Totally Agree with You!

Please see my review and you'll see that I raise these very same points. Particularly when I warn PalmOne that "High Complexity = Low Customer Acquisition". Palm _must_ get its software/service offering right if it wants to agressively compete in this space.

Cheers, W.

BTW: Who's the cutie in the orange shorts? ;-)
    gfunkmusic: 100% Totally Agree with You!

Please see my review and you'll see that I raise these very same points. Particularly when I warn PalmOne that "High Complexity = Low Customer Acquisition". Palm _must_ get its software/service offering right if it wants to agressively compete in this space.

Cheers, W.

BTW: Who's the cutie in the orange shorts? ;-)
    One your site you say that you can use MobiTV. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK $that$ $is$ $not$ $correct$.
    Also I don't believe you can stream in Real format. If you can please let me know how.
  15.    #15  
    Thanks for the tip dutchtrumpet, as you will have seen I've now amended it...

Cheers! W.
    I agree and disagree with you wanderman. As I see it, Treo misses the mark to push it as a pure business tool with the inclusion of the camera. Otherwise the camera free version would have come out first. Most large corporations/government agencies prohibit cameras and number of places banning the camera phone is on the rise. Jobs that require a camera would be using a separate camera. They can't push it as an entertainment gadget because by the time they got everything and the kitchen sink in there it costs too dang much. You can buy a computer for $400 or ipod for $250 or a game boy for $100. Most parents aren't buying a $400+ phone for their kids to play with, and the starving college kids aren't buying these things to listen to downloaded music. So the people they are really pushing the Treo to are the geeks with jobs and can afford a $400+ phone, pda, camera toy. Look at this forum. We want wi-fi! We want bluetooth! So geeks with jobs translates to "business tool".
    Thanks for the tip dutchtrumpet, as you will have seen I've now amended it...

Cheers! W.
    no prob
    Global Posts
    358 Global Posts
    one thing I like about Treo 600 is that it is a generic platform. Kind of like the first PCs. You can program it to do a lot different things. all it has is a set of fundamental functi$2
    Palm V -> Treo 600 (lost) -> Treo 650 -> Centro -> Pre -> Photon
    Yes, the Treo is a jack-of-all-trades and isn't that in line with its intended purpose as a convergence device that wraps everything into one unit? IMHO, it's the master of convergence devices. So, of course it will always suffer to some degree if we compare it to a pure phone, pure camera or pure game device. Let's face it, what a lot of people want is a device that will do EVERYTHING and do it well. Of course, that is hard to come by, is a complex engineering challenge and would also be very expensive. In the end it is probably also impossible since as soon as the Treo becomes somewhat comparable, the other mission-specific devices pull out ahead in their functions. So, we have the Treo as a compromise. It does most everything - "adequately".

Regards,
    Mike
    Last edited by work2fish; 07/22/2004 at 07:37 AM.
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by work2fish
    Yes, the Treo is a jack-of-all-trades and isn't that in line with its intended purpose as a convergence device that wraps everything into one unit? IMHO, it's the master of convergence devices. So, of course it will always suffer to some degree if we compare it to a pure phone, pure camera or pure game device. Let's face it, what a lot of people want is a device that will do EVERYTHING and do it well. Of course, that is hard to come by, is a complex engineering challenge and would also be very expensive. In the end it is probably also impossible since as soon as the Treo becomes somewhat comparable, the other mission-specific devices pull out ahead in their functions. So, we have the Treo as a compromise. It does most everything - "adequately".
    Mike, this is probably one of the best descriptions that I have seen to date for the Treo 600 as the 'perfect' convergence device!

Cheers, W.