Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I was travelling in Italy. Bought a Vodaphone SIM card for 20 euros at a Vodophone store in Pisa. It was no problem. On the internet they want to charge you about $90 for this.

Incoming calls were free. I was there for 2 weeks and used GPRS to check my email. I have no idea how much is left on my card.

Questions: Does anyone know how long Italian prepaid SIM cards from Vodophone last before expiring? I'll probably go back next summer.
    One year from last recharge. I've been using the same one for about a year and a half. (I travel to Italy about once a month.)
    how much email checking did you do? I'll be in ireland pretty soon and will be doing a similar thing when I get there. it would be nice to do some simple email checking while i'm there too... and maybe some chattering.
    That is the first I have heard of using GPRS with prepaid. I am still looking for that in the UK.
    11 months fully working and 1 months only receiving calls
    Ciao

Ettore
    Are those prepaid cards rechagable or one time use?
    If rechargable, do I get the same phone number after each recharge? Also, after expiring in a year can they still be recharge and maintain the same phone number?
    How good is the coverage in Italy? Going to Tuscany in October,and SIM card sounds like good idea, as opposed to getting T-Mo international. Would not expect many incoming calls, but nice to know people could use the # in an emergency.
    Bob
    you can recharge (with the same number) as long as you want in 12 month from the last recharge.
    Ciao

Ettore
  9.    #9  
    The coverage in Tuscany was quite good. I used email quite a bit, although I had it set up to first download headers (and then download whole messages of ones I wanted to read).

You keep the number if you recharge within a year. I found this out from the Vodafone website. You can recharge online for 3 euros and keep the phone number alive. It was a little hard doing this. I had to use Google's translation page to figure things out. I'm back in the states and I also had to receive a SIM message using my Italian card, but that was no problem. It roamed on ATT for this.

I go to Italy about once a year, and it will be great to always have an Italian phone number!
    Thanks for sharing! Could you provide details of the SIM card or plan that you bought the SIM card under? That'd be great. It sounds too good to be true! I want to make sure that when I go back to Europe I can get that same deal!

Thanks.
    F. Stubbe
  11.    #11  
    I got the "Easy Day" plan from Vodafone. This was the cheapest, 20 euros. I just walked into a Vodafone store and asked for a prepaid plan.

I noticed in the (awful) CDG airport in Paris you can also buy prepaid SIM packages. It is probably more straightforward to do this there. In Italy, they need a "Codice fiscale" number to give you the card. The Vodafone worker who helped me generated this number based on my birthdate, name and birthplace...

Vodafone Italy even sent me a Birthday card by email yesterday! What a company.
    Does anybody know which operator is best in SDouth-Africa? I'm going there for three weeks and I was thinking about doing the "SIM SWAP TRICK".

I definitely need GPRS there
    Bob
    Sorry - hit wrong button.
    Re: Vodaphone Italy - I have a locked T-mobile phone, so I assume I must unlock it before I leave? Any issues setting up connection in Italy?
    Bob
  15.    #15  
    You just need to have an unlocked Treo 600 (GSM) for it to work.
    For those who haven't realized that the rest of the world uses SIMM Cards since it's basically all GSM (except for Japan ... who knows why not ... they're unique). Buying prepaid sim cards is the best way to stay connected overseas. However, you need an UNLOCKED GSM phone that works in that country. Having an unlocked Treo 600 is the best since it's a quad band (works on the 850,900, 1800 and 1900 GSM bands I think). There is a thread going on regarding unlocking a Treo 600.

I haven't used my Treo 600 overseas yet but I will be traveling so I'm looking forward to it. Thanks for the tip on Vodaphone for Europe (I guess). If anyone is traveling to Asia, it gets more difficult to have one carrier. I've had to buy separate sims from the Philippines and Vietnamese cell phone providers. For that matter, traveling to Jamaica requires buying a sim from Digicel. While it gets hard keeping all those sims if you're a globe trotter, it's much cheaper to make calls in local currency.

Treo is the best.
    I am in the US and intend to travel to Italy in October. I plan to just use the ATT international plan. I get to keep my phone number and I am not a high traffic user. I just need to check on my kids every now and then.
    Ettore,

I agree. Vodaphone says 1 year. It's been about .45/min outbound calling. My question: How do you change the language of the phone instructions from Italian to English? My Italian is limited. The Vodaphone web site is no help.
    Just a guess: Newark based 756?
    Quote Originally Posted by slamnsam
    Ettore,

I agree. Vodaphone says 1 year. It's been about .45/min outbound calling. My question: How do you change the language of the phone instructions from Italian to English? My Italian is limited. The Vodaphone web site is no help.
    What you mean with Language of the phone instructions ?

While most of the phones menu language can be changed on the fly, Treo 600 language can be changed only after an hard reset.

message from the operator like "the phone you're calling may be switched off" in Italy are usually played both in italian and English. But Not every message
    Ciao

Ettore
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast