1.    #1  
    Let me start off by saying I am very excited about my new Treo. I have had it for a day and am getting familiar with it. Was thrilled to have found this site. Looks full of great info.

I am a little agitated at AT & T as they told me I could retrieve email with this phone. They didnt tell me they dont have a way to do this thru a VPN and Firewall. I work from home and wanted to dl email from Exchange 2000 server. I have read many posts but havnt found one that tells me exactly what to do to get it working. AT&T has been no help at all.

Thru reading these posts so far I have looked at:
    Inbox to go
    Basejet, tried to dl the trial but it wouldnt work with the lic they gave me.
    Symmetry Pro
    Mergic VPN, Not sure I need this???

I am not sure what I need. A fellow colleague of mine uses his with sprint and he is able to access the corp email as long as they dont disconnect his vpn. He said it basically just forwards it but he can reply and send attachments etc...

TIA
    Greg
  2.    #2  
    I downloaded and installed Symmetry Pro. It appears to be working and all but it wont retrieve Emails from my corp exchange server. I sent two test emails to myself while on the vpn and logged into outlook but they never appeared on the Treo 600 Symmetry Pro software....?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumdumgi
    I downloaded and installed Symmetry Pro. It appears to be working and all but it wont retrieve Emails from my corp exchange server. I sent two test emails to myself while on the vpn and logged into outlook but they never appeared on the Treo 600 Symmetry Pro software....?
    Thanks
    u might want 2 check out http://www.good.com
    - ag47
  4.    #4  
    I had heard it was expensive for a single user.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    Sumdumgi, do you absolutely need to download/sync email directly from the Exchange server? Email solutions like BaseJet, Inbox to go wireless, Symmetery Pro (I think), etc, are known as "desktop redirectors," in that they install client software on your work PC which then bounces any emails you get to their respective servers, which then shoot the emails to your Treo. This eliminates the need to worry about VPN software or firewall issues. The only real catch is that they all require your work PC to remain on at all times in order for you to get email wirelessly.
  6.    #6  
    Thanks, thats all I want to do is redirect my email to my treo. I tried Sym Pro but it didnt work.
    "I had heard it was expensive for a single user."

- Any idea how much? I am looking for one myself.
    Peter
    Quote Originally Posted by Sumdumgi
    Thanks, thats all I want to do is redirect my email to my treo. I tried Sym Pro but it didnt work.
    I use VistoXpress. Works fine and yes you do need a PC that is always on. Cost for subscription is $100.
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Hello,
    I connect to the office Microsoft Exchange box via VPN by using Mergic VPN and the built-in Treo Email application.

You can download and try the eval version of Mergic to see if the client is compatible with your VPN. Once you have the IP address and passwords you should be able to create a VPN tunnel.
    If so, then configure the email program with the appropriate SMTP names and you'll be all set.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by chankla
    Hello,
    I connect to the office Microsoft Exchange box via VPN by using Mergic VPN and the built-in Treo Email application.

You can download and try the eval version of Mergic to see if the client is compatible with your VPN. Once you have the IP address and passwords you should be able to create a VPN tunnel.
    If so, then configure the email program with the appropriate SMTP names and you'll be all set.
    I dl the free trial of mergic and have tried to establish a connection but keep getting a timeout error. I have my User Name correct for my log on to the MS Outlook and use my server password with a secure id but still no luck. In my Cisco VPN on my laptop the properties have 2 IP addresses. I have tried them both (Client and Server) and neither work. I am assuming the server is the correct one as it is 198.169.xxx.xxx. I am not sure if my VPN uses PPTP or not but read that Mergic only supports PPTP. The bad thing is our IT dept wont help with this.
    Any help appreciated.
  11.    #11  
    Can anyone help with this?
    Global Posts
    137 Global Posts
    Talk to your IT people at work. There will be a message log indicating that you tried to log in and the reason your security failed. Sometimes they look at MAC addresses (and since your Treo has a different MAC address tha your laptop, you may be getting denied service).

Also check your Network profile. My GPRS service (through ATT) has the user name, password and APN fields unassigned.

The folks at Mergic might also be helpful (they have a thing or two on their FAQ page).

Sorry, but mine worked first time...
    If your work is using a Cisco VPN, odds are they are using the IPsec protocol. Yes, they *could* be using pptp (or both) but it seems unlikely are pptp is generally considered less secure than IPsec. Also, unless I misread your post, you are trying to use your email credentials from exchange to logon to the vpn to get your email. This is not how it works. You first need to establish a vpn session (using pptp), then you would need to launch an email client and use your proper mail settings and credentials to get your email. A two step process.

HTH,
    -Joe
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein