Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Asked this question a couple of days ago, but got no response. Thought I would try one more time. I purchased my Treo a couple of months ago. Everything works fine except for sending e-mail. I received some help from several treocentral members that instructed me to sign-up for fastmail.fm. Last night I did just that. Now that I have signed up, I need to know how to enter the server information into my Treo. Can someone please tell me what I need to enter under "Outgoing (SMTP) Server", or where I can find this information? Thanks for the help.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the response. I don't mean to sound stupid, but I'm kind of new to this. Can you please explain what I am looking at when I view the link that you sent me. Is this the information that I need to enter? I'm confused.
    if you just sign up for the free fastmail service, you dont get access to their smtp server.

who is your cell service carrier?
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  5.    #5  
    My carrier is Cingular, which according to many threads, does not offer their server. I am signed up as a member (paid $14.95 for my account) with fastmail.fm. As I understand it, this will allow me to use the fastmail server. Let me know if I need to do anything else. Thanks.
    Why would someone need another Email Service? Doesn't most Internet provider provide you with email service. Not to mention hotmail and yahoo. And usually you can access their site and get your email from anywhere, even through your Treo. Possibly I am missing the usefullness of this tool.
    The outgoing and incoming server names with fastmail.us are the same, MAIL.MESSAGINGENGINE.COM

From my SnapperMail configuration:
    Also, the user name with the incoming is just your name. The uesr name with the outgoig mail is your email address with fastmail. The passwords for both the incoming and outgoing mail servers are the same.

IMAP 4 settings - use port 143. I have Secure if available (STARTTLS) as the option selected and have Always trust server checked.

SMTP settings: use port 25 and the Secure if available (STARTTLS) as the option selected and have Always trust server checked.
    Ben, with those settings your actually NOT using encryption. Fastmail does not use STARTTLS and since you set "Secure if available", it defaults to no encryption.

Just use the setting "Always secure (wrapped port)" for both. The port numbers should automatically change to 993 and 465, and DONT check "Always trust server".

Checking "Always trust server" breaks security and allows hackers to pose as your email server. Its only useful if a site does not have a certificate issued by a known authority and your not worried about security...but then why use SSL in the first place? The site www.myrealbox.com is an example of this. They have a fake certificate because they are not a real email service (actually a test site for email software) and dont want to pay money to Verisign for a real one.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    Quote Originally Posted by LD555
    Why would someone need another Email Service? Doesn't most Internet provider provide you with email service. Not to mention hotmail and yahoo. And usually you can access their site and get your email from anywhere, even through your Treo. Possibly I am missing the usefullness of this tool.
    cingular doesn't provide an smtp server.

some isps wont let you send email unless you are coming from a trusted ip. ie no relaying.

therefore, some ppl need another email provider that will let them send email.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Most interesting. I made the changes and now it kicks it out on the server name. It states that mail.messagingengine.com does not matcher the server address.....

As for SSL, I am definitely interested in that direction, heck that's why I got the release I did at first.

Thanks for the note. Ben
    Not bad! thanks for the tip. Ok, with some experimentation, my settings are:

Incoming IMAP4 server: mail.messagingengine.com, user name (email address with @fastmail.us), the password and in the more area, use port 993 (automagically filled in when the next is selected), always secure (wrapped port) and I did not check Always trust server.

For the outgoing mail: smpt server: mail.messagingengine.com, user name (email address with @fastmail.us), the password and in the more area, use SMTP settings, use port 465 (automagically filled in) and Always secure (wrapped port) selected and I did not check alway strust server.
    I also made these changes in Mozilla and it is working very well. Again, thanks! Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by bclinger
    Not bad! thanks for the tip. Ok, with some experimentation, my settings are:

Incoming IMAP4 server: mail.messagingengine.com, user name (email address with @fastmail.us), the password and in the more area, use port 993 (automagically filled in when the next is selected), always secure (wrapped port) and I did not check Always trust server.

For the outgoing mail: smpt server: mail.messagingengine.com, user name (email address with @fastmail.us), the password and in the more area, use SMTP settings, use port 465 (automagically filled in) and Always secure (wrapped port) selected and I did not check alway strust server.
    HELP! I've changed my settings to match yours attempting to get this "IMAP stuff" to work. Previously my "POP stuff" was working, but now I'm unable to connect.

I'm getting the following message in the connection log:

"Fastmail SSL established, connection secure. Authorizing POP incompatible POP server. (POP responded not OK) Failed to authrorize to POP server on account FastMail. Server replied * OK IMAP4 Ready mail.messagingengine.com 00020e6b"
    Ndugu
    Ben, I'm always glad to help

Ndugu, from your log it looks like you tried to change a POP account to use an IMAP server, which is not possible. You need to create a new account in SnapperMail and select IMAP4 when asked.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    I do not use the POP/Fastmail option. Take a look at the following link and look at #6:
    http://www.fastmail.us/docs/faqparts...BadCertificate

Is there the possibility you changed the POP server name? and of course make sure you are configuring it for either POP or IMAP.

The IMAP stuff should work and matches the descriptions I was able to find on the Fastmail site.

Another link and look at #4:

http://www.fastmail.us/docs/faqparts...#ServerDetails

Ben
    Quote Originally Posted by LD555
    Retreiving yur email is one thins, sending is another. Because of the war on spam, SMTP servers (servers you send outgoing mail to) often won't accept mail sent from outside the network. So you need another service for this. T-Mobile, for example, provides an SMTP server for this purpose - which for most outgoing mail now also requires userid/password authentication. Too bad Cingular does not provide this for it's customers.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
    You can use photo.cingular.com as your outgoing SMTP server.
    Ben & ThirdType,

If I create another (or new) Snappermail account, will I then loose all the messages and folders I have set up in my current (POP) account? Will I gain the folders that already exist in my Fastmail account (i.e. IMAP) feature?

Thanks again!
    Ndugu
    Your POP and IMAP accounts in Snapper will be totally seperate. Once you create the IMAP account you can can add folders in Snapper and set them to syncronize to ones on the server. If you really want to get the messages out of the POP account and back onto the server, you can forward them to yourself.
    Quote Originally Posted by cs123
    You can use photo.cingular.com as your outgoing SMTP server.
    Cingular is my provider. I have cox high speed cable at home. I've set up cox as the incoming server and tried to use photo.cingular.com as the outgoing smtp server. Still no luck. What am I missing here?

Thanks,
    Christian (noooob)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast