1.    #1  
    I was very happy to download Mapopolis' beta version which allows using maps from the SD card (without copying them to RAM). This is a great feature. I expected things to be slower when using the SD card, however I'm finding the speed to be sometimes just too low for it to be usable. I have found that sometimes routes that are 10 miles long would take something like 2 minutes to generate. I live in the Boston area and the maps are very dense. Also a 60 mile route from Boston to New Hampshire took about 5 minutes to generate.

Anyone else with a similar experience?

Thanks.
    Hi, Silverado,

Try reducing the number of maps that you have in the current folder. That will reduce route generation time substantially. Also be sure that you have the major road map(s) in the same folder as your detail maps.

You can quickly switch from one folder to another on the card by tapping on the Directory:________________ line, and the program will look only in the current folder. (Hint: a card reader is a good thing to have when setting up folders.)

For your immediate Boston area, have you considered creating a folder to just contain your metro detail maps? That will speed up local routing. As well, you can still copy maps to RAM and load them there for conventional program operation . . .
    What about trying a higher speed SD card like the SanDisk Ultra II?
    Well the fact that it is a beta that allows you to use SD cards is an improvement. Things are getting better with time. Unlike the space on the Treo Ace that is still stuck at 32MB .
    Mapopolis tested several SD cards with a Tungsten T3, Tungsten C, and Tungsten T. Our conclusion was the fastest card on Palms is the Panasonic-manufactured 256 megabyte card branded as "Simple Tech." On the T3, it turned in a VFSMark (popular SD card read/write speed test) of 621.

The Ultra II was disappointing, only producing about 515, but we have observed that the 32x cards really are faster on the Pocket PCs. The relative slowness of card reads on the Palm platform are due to the SD card implementation and the fact that memory card manufacturers design for the Windows PPC platform more than the Palm platform.

The Simple Tech card shows up in Card Info as a Panasonic model SH256. We bought two of them from buygpsnow.com for about $75 each.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by SafeHarbor
    Hi, Silverado,

Try reducing the number of maps that you have in the current folder. That will reduce route generation time substantially. Also be sure that you have the major road map(s) in the same folder as your detail maps.

You can quickly switch from one folder to another on the card by tapping on the Directory:________________ line, and the program will look only in the current folder. (Hint: a card reader is a good thing to have when setting up folders.)

For your immediate Boston area, have you considered creating a folder to just contain your metro detail maps? That will speed up local routing. As well, you can still copy maps to RAM and load them there for conventional program operation . . .
    SafeHarbor,

Thanks a lot for your tips. I used your advice in creating a directory hierarchy for my maps which is something like:

/Maps
    /Maps/NE
    /Maps/NE/MA/
    /Maps/NE/MA/Boston
    /Maps/NE/NH/
    /Maps/NE/CT/

This has helped a lot in allowing me to quickly switch between directories AND still be able to do wider range routing (since Mapopolis considers maps in all subdirectories from the starting point you specify). Interestingly, it seems that under this setup that even if I was sitting in the NE directory, routing within the Boston maps is faster than it used to be. I wonder if this comes as a result of how Mapopolis searches maps based on which directory they are actually in, even if they all appear in the list in a case like picking the NE directory above.

Lastly, I have a ton of suggestions for improvements to this GREAT program, most for the Treo 600, but some are general. Should I send them to you by email or should I post them here?
  7.    #7  
    SafeHarbor,

Any comments on this posting?

Thanks.
    Only that the misconception that a Map Pack is a subscription instead of a download agreement is very common, even though that word does not appear anywhere on our site.

And, oh yes, thank you for becoming a Mapopolis customer.

Send you suggestions, in concise, 50-word chunks that even a programmer could understand, to support@mapopolis.com, but remember that the Treo 600 is only one among a few dozen Palm models that Mapopolis supports.
  9.    #9  
    SafeHarbor,

Thanks. I will send my suggestions.

I was actually asking about schollmann's comments regarding SD card use in that thread, which is the posting I pointed to
    Oh. I saw that I was reading that the next day, and since he would be off on the trip, I did not comment.