1.    #1  
    Hello everybody,

I just realized that the keyboard backlight on my Treo 600 is not working. I really can't remember if I turned it off using some setting (that apparently I can't find now).

Am I missing something, or is my backlight busted? Is there a setting somewhere to turn it on/off ? I read something about Alt(0)-P, but if I press the Alt(0) button I get a "this key lets you enter accents..." message, and nothing pappens when I press P immediately after Alt(0).

Help please!!! I appreciate all input. I love this forum
    Last edited by gekz; 07/10/2004 at 12:42 AM.
    the key combination is opt+p, not alt+p.

but the problem might be caused by a third-party application, which controls the backlight. try to warm-reset your Treo - hold the up 5way nav button and reset the device - this should temporarily disable any non-system programs. if you have backlight at that time, then it is a software problem. otherwise it is probably hardware.
    Did you use Profeo today ?
  3.    #3  
    Nachon, according to PalmOne the key combination is Alt(0)+P, but you make more sense and I trust you more than PalmOne anyways

Opt+P dims the screen but doesn't do anything for the backlight. I tried the "warm reset" you describe but no luck. I would HATE to go for a 4th replacement, since I found that this unit worked almost as it was supposed to do.

Why can't I just have a perfectly working Treo? Is there such a thing?

Any more suggestions for the keyboard backlight issue?
    option + p (not alt) dims the screen and forces the backlighted keyboard to be on all the time.

If yours is not on then either it's broken or you have a third party app forcing it off. I would back it up then do a hard reset and see if the keyboard backlight comes back. If so, then carefully reinstall each app. If not call Palm for a replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by gekz
    Nachon, according to PalmOne the key combination is Alt(0)+P, but you make more sense and I trust you more than PalmOne anyways

Opt+P dims the screen but doesn't do anything for the backlight. I tried the "warm reset" you describe but no luck. I would HATE to go for a 4th replacement, since I found that this unit worked almost as it was supposed to do.

Why can't I just have a perfectly working Treo? Is there such a thing?

Any more suggestions for the keyboard backlight issue?
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  5.    #5  
    I did a hard reset, and the conclusion is that my backlight is broken. It sucks 'cause this is my third replacement Treo 600, and I thought that I finally had a good one.

I really hate going through the whole replacement procedure now, and they're going to charge me a fortune since it's outside the 90-day warranty they offer. Back in February I paid some serious money for a new Treo 600. It's now July and I never got to use one that's working as it is supposed to work.

Honestly, as much as I love my Treo (been an early adopter for all Handspring Visors, Treo 180, and Treo 270), I am losing my patience here.

To Handspring / PalmOne: Your quality control SUCKS! I really don't deserve that treatment after spending so much money over the last few years on your products
    Last edited by gekz; 07/10/2004 at 11:48 PM.
    Sorry to hear about your hardware problem. Isn't the warranty one year? Did they change that? It certainly doesn't seem right that you should be charged.
  7.    #7  
    bcaslis, You are right, the warranty is for 1 year. I was thinking of Phone Tech support: "In the U.S., palmOne offers 90 days of complimentary telephone Technical Support from the date of purchase on most palmOne-branded products. After 90 days, telephone Technical Support is available for $25 per incident."

I'll try them. If it doesn't work I'll go through T-Mobile (my service provider).
    I think the 90 days applies if it turns out to be a software problem. If you have a hardware problem I don't think you will be charged.
    Thanks for trusting me more.
    I am sorry it turned out to be HW issue. Better luck with the next one !
    Did you use Profeo today ?
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for everything!

I called PalmOne. There is a one time $25 fee per incident for phone support, but there is no charge if the call results to a repair or replacement. The rep had me perform a Factory Reset (keep "K" and "backspace" pressed while resetting). After confirming that the backlight is indeed busted, he put forward a replacement request, and a replacement Treo will be shipped to me soon.

It still sucks that I have to go for a 4th replacement. I mean... c'mon how crappy something has to be if you need to replace it four times! At least they know their Quality Control and they don't give you much trouble before replacing it.