Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm planning to get the Treo Ace for Sprint when it comes out, and I'm trying to decide whether I should buy it from Sprint with just the warranty or get it from Best Buy with the PSP. I know the PSP is an additional cost, but what does it provide that is not covered by the Sprint warranty? And, does anyone know of other insurance that would provide the same coverage at less cost?

Thanks,
    Chris
    BestBuy PSP is crap. From what I have read, and been through, I would advise you to never buy a BB warranty.

For the first year, you are covered via PalmOne. After that, spend the $4 a month to cover the phone via Sprint if you are worried about it.
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I have the Best Buy warrenty. I love it. I have bought it for a few of their priducts. I purchased an amplifier from them. It was an open box buy $599 regular $199 open. I bought the plan, and last month it began over heating. I took it in and they sent it away. I had a working unit with 2 weeks. I own the plan on my 57" widescreen TV. I also have it for my Treo 600. The display went out, and I had a new phone in hand and activated within 30 minutes.

Take it for what its worth.
    Lonzo
    Yeah, I took my Treo in the other day with a Failed Testing slip from Sprint. Other than the fact that they had no Treo's in stock, they would have handed me a new one just like that. They tried to give me an i500, and I just laughed at them. I'll just wait till they get the Ace in stock (my Treo 600 is very usable right now, but we'll see how that goes)
    I am thinking about dropping my Treo 600 when the ACE comes out. I have Sprint with and extended BB service contract. I would like to exchange it for the ACE. What do I need to do to make the exchange.
    Scott T DeBlaze
    The Sprint $4/month coverage has some different features. Mainly, it's insurance, rather than an extended warranty. So if your Treo is damaged from mishandling (a fall that landed it on the antenna cracked my screen), or if it's stolen (you'll need a police report), the $35 deductible will get you a replacement. Does Best Buy's plan cover that kind of loss?
    There are several reasons why the Best Buy plan is better. I've had Sprint's plan in the past and will always get Best Buy's plan from now on. Here's why:
    • Best Buy's plan will replace your defective Treo with a brand new unit. Sprint's plan replaces with a refab plus the $35 deductable although you've paid them $4 a month.
    • Best Buy's plan allows you to walk into your local Best Buy, get a replacement and walk out. With Sprint's plan you have to wait for your replacement to be sent to you.
    • Best Buy's plan will allow you to use the cost of the Treo towards a different unit if you don't want to replace it with a Treo. Sprint's plan is a replacement plan for the same thing and the only way you can get something else from Sprint's plan is if no Treos (of your model type) are in stock.
    • With Best Buy's plan you know if they will replace it on the spot. With Sprint's plan you might have to wait till they get your defective Treo and check it out themselves. That may be days after you sent it to them.
    But... If you hit your Treo with a hammer and destroy it, will Best Buy do an exchange? Sprint will replace it at least twice (understanding the deductible) without caring WHY it's broken, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    Quote Originally Posted by ericdfairchild
    But... If you hit your Treo with a hammer and destroy it, will Best Buy do an exchange? Sprint will replace it at least twice (understanding the deductible) without caring WHY it's broken, AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK.
    Well if they felt you hit it with that hammer deliberately no plan will cover, not even Sprint's.

But with Sprint's plan I think you can claim such an accident and get a replacement. With Best Buy's plan I don't think that is covered explicitly, but if you happen to get the right person and tell the right story maybe they will. I have heard of people getting replacements from Best Buy after damaging the Treo themselves, but I would not count on that since they cover defects, not you breaking it.

Problems I've had with my Treos were always problems in the unit. I've dropped Treos often and that never caused them to break. For me issues have not come from my breaking the unit, but the unit having problems because of defects or wear. The Best Buy plan does cover issues that arise from normal wear and usage.
  10.    #10  
    Thanks for the replies! The Sprint $4/mo plan is not quite good enough. Does anyone know what BB charges for their PSP? I think someone said $80 in another thread, but I'm not sure. I couldn't find the cost on their web site.

Chris
    Global Posts
    218 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris99
    The Sprint $4/mo plan is not quite good enough.

Chris
    ??? The Best Buy PSP does not cover you if your Treo is lost or stolen, the $4/mo Sprint plan does.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Well if they felt you hit it with that hammer deliberately no plan will cover, not even Sprint's.

The Best Buy plan does cover issues that arise from normal wear and usage.
    Correct.

Read the fine print on the warranty from BB. It does not cover intentional OR accidental damage. It is only designed to cover you if the product fails due to normal use.
    The Best Buy plan is about $80. There are no other fees involved with their plan after paying that one time fee. No deductable when you need a replacement either. Best Buy's price for their plan varies based on the cost of the product. For the Treo it is about $80.

Basically Sprint's plan is an insurance policy for your Treo. Best Buy's plan is your regular store extended warrantee, that also allows you to get something different if you don't want a replacement.
    Christ... Get them both. The 4 bucks a month is worth it... The 80 bucks one time is worth it. Best of both worlds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorv
    Christ... Get them both. The 4 bucks a month is worth it... The 80 bucks one time is worth it. Best of both worlds.
    Seriously... This topic may be the most heavily discussed single issue over at the pdaPhonehome forums...okay, thats a stretch, but close! Anyway, SPCS is a perfect insurance remedy. Covers loss, theft, and malfunctioning units.

Best Buy nakes no attempt to repair the units and issues you a brand new unit right there on the spot. Perhaps the best part of BB's service is that they truly will allow you to "upgrade" to the next model. So...who here isn't willing to pay $4/month for loss/theft damage for a device which has probably cost around &1,000 including software, etcetera? I am. Who here isn't willing to also pay an additional reasonable sum for the option to upgrade for free? I am. Its as simple as that folks...
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I dont see where the discusion is on this topic. If you are going to buy a phone from BestBuy, then get the Performance Service Plan. It was $79.99, I just checked my reciept. I have already used mine once, since I bought it 5/14/04. Lets do the math.

Sprint
    May=$4
    Replacement=$35
    June=$4
    July=$4
    Sprint=$51

Really though, if you are that concerned get the insurance too, better safe than sorry. It just seems foolish to not get the PSP from BestBuy, I literally had a new working phone within 30 minutes. They didnt even care to look it over.

Lonzo
    Quote Originally Posted by mjorange
    So...who here isn't willing to pay $4/month for loss/theft damage for a device which has probably cost around &1,000 including software, etcetera? I am. Who here isn't willing to also pay an additional reasonable sum for the option to upgrade for free? I am. Its as simple as that folks...
    Sprint's plan will only replace the unit, with a refab at that. It won't replace all the other software or any other accessories you brought for your Treo.

Personally I've never lost a phone or PDA. I've never broken one. And I've never had one stolen. I've only had units that had internal problems/defects. I guess it depends on what you see as your risk factors and what works best.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    First off, I'm not trying to start a flame war. I just want to get the facts out there. I ripped apart the "Rev 82843 09/03" version of the Best Buy PSP in this old post. Check it out for more details.

There are several reasons why the Best Buy plan is better. I've had Sprint's plan in the past and will always get Best Buy's plan from now on. Here's why:
    • Best Buy's plan will replace your defective Treo with a brand new unit.
    Not necessarily. Read your fine print.

• Best Buy's plan allows you to walk into your local Best Buy, get a replacement and walk out.
    Probably not true. Read your fine print. They get three tries to fix it before they have to replace it.

• Best Buy's plan will allow you to use the cost of the Treo towards a different unit if you don't want to replace it with a Treo.
    Not on new plans. Read your fine print.

• With Best Buy's plan you know if they will replace it on the spot.
    Again, they get three tries to fix it before they have to replace it.

Best Buy's PSP for cell phones and PDAs has changed drastically over the years to the point where it is now virtually worthless. I agree that it used to be good, i.e. upgrade credits, free replacement batteries, etc. But if you read the fine print in recent PSPs, they hardly cover anything! Read this old thread for some data on how PSPs have changed over time.

ERic
    Last edited by ERicJ; 10/06/2004 at 01:58 AM.
    I think a lot of treatment at Best Buy depends on where you live, so choosing the plan is an individual thing. For instance, I live in DC and the local BB stores aren't filled with very helpful people. They spend most of their time playing with the merchandise and listening to music. When I travel and stop in another area store, such as in the Chicago burbs, going into a BB is actually a pleasant experience. When home, I avoid it whenever possible.
  20.    #20  
    Has anyone found a current version of the BB PSP online? I looked on their web site but found only a general description of it.

Chris
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast