1.    #1  
    I just downloaded a bunch of music (60 free songs!) from Sony's music store. Turns out the music is in some proprietary format .oma files and I can't see/hear it through my ptunes version 2.0.4 basic.

can I convert these songs to mp3, or is there another way to hear these files through T600?
    Thanks
    heh - yes, there's a way: It's called 'go and buy a Sony MD Walkman' or whatever they're called. Tape the Sony to your Treo, and there's your solution.

Sorry man; couldn't resist. What you've discovered is that Sony uses a proprietary format called 'ATRAAC', kinda like what Apple does with AAC. You're out of luck, unless you go and get a Sony device.

At least the songs were free, and you're not out any moolah.
    I got a similar offer for 'free songs'. I used Sony's sonicstage software to burn an 'audio CD' (so now you're out the cost of a blank disk...) and then ripped the audio disk as an MP3. Now I can listen to it on my iPOD. I understand the purpose for the proprietary formats....ah well.
    It doesn't seem like anyone has written software to convert ATRAC files to another format, so you're out of luck there.

On the other hand, you can probably use Sony's SonicStage software to burn an audio cd from the ATRAC files and then use a different program to convert that audio cd to MP3 files (or Ogg Vorbis, or whatever). This will, in theory, lose some fidelity, but if you're going to be listening to the end result on your Treo, that shouldn't be any big deal.

Edit: I'm a moron, dmurphy4040 just said this.
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Actually sonic stage has an option to burn a CD of mp3's directly, so you can skip the step of making the audio cd first. not sure if the audio fidelity is maintained.
    Quote Originally Posted by sbono13
    Actually sonic stage has an option to burn a CD of mp3's directly, so you can skip the step of making the audio cd first. not sure if the audio fidelity is maintained.
    While you can burn MP3s from SonicStage, that option is unavailable for downloaded ATRAC files, at least those that I downloaded. I suspect that's only available for CDs that you've ripped.
  7.    #7  
    I've tried burning a music cd. I get an error message, something about rights and it aborts the burn. I'll have to check what my rights are with the free songs, but for sure I wouldn't buy any if it's so closed format like this- I'd rather buy a cd and do whatevet I want with it.
  8.    #8  
    ...and what's the deal with iTunes? I downloaded their song of the week and it's also in some proprietary format that my ptunes can't recognize.
    Same reason people didn't buy the HP Media Center, movies made on it could only be played on it.
    I wish these companies would realize that these crippled formats don't actually prevent piracy, and give it up already. I'm sick of all this crap. All it does is make it a hassle for people who actually buy the stuff to do what they want with it.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre