Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 79
  1. #41  
    I respectfully disagree. If it is not clearly stated in their privacy statement then we have no grounds upon which to expect that they will keep such information private. You may feel it *should* be in their privacy statement, and therefore a matter of policy for the TC staff, however, TC chose not to include it. They are not required to do so, just as you (or anyone else) were not required to join here. You agreed to the privacy statement (or lack thereof) as it stands. If you disagree with their policy you can either try to get them to change it, or stop coming here.

    Seems simple to me. Nice job to Miradu and the spiritual leader of TC.

    Just my 2 cents...
    -Joe
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  2. #42  
    Pinheads who say "Love it or leave it" are...well...pinheads.
  3. #43  
    Seldom Visitor is an amazing individual. I'll leave it at that.

    Good work Dalai and Miradu.
  4. #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex
    Seldom,

    I really wonder why you are here. You don't own a Treo. You don't like the Palm OS. You don't think the Treo 600 is a great or even "good" PDA/Phone. You don't like the way this board is moderated. What the hell do you like about Treocentral? I think you need to go home so we can get on enjoying what you so obviously dislike.
    BigTex,

    SeldomVisitor, a.k.a. Hengeem, is a known short on Palmone stocks ever since it was $12. I think he is here to talk "down" anything Treo or PalmOne related so that he can benefit from a fall in Palmone's stock price. Below is a "tribute" to Hengeem on Palmone's finance message board:

    "Since the self-appointed sage Hengeem is so quick with the "words to remember", newcomers to this board might just want to take a little review of his track record over the last 4 months or so:

    March 04: PLMO at 12 "I would sell at 12, because you will be able to buy back under 10 after the cc." (The stockk went to 21 in the week after the cc.)

    April 04: "There is no evidence on the sell-through rates of the Treo. I refuse to believe the sell-in numbers. " (Part of his unique theory that PLMO was shipping Treos to carriers, but that they were stockpiling them, not selling them. You gotta love this guy.)

    May 04: "Nobody but geeks want to buy the Treo."

    Jun 04: PLMO at 21: "PLMO will miss big time. Sell now and buy back for $14." (PLMO rises to 35 over the couple of weeks following the cc.)


    Words to remember:
    == "...Information posted to message boards, especially when posted by a disgruntled ex-employee,
    == should not be used as a substitute for independent
    == research...Prudent investors do their homework
    == and don't believe everything they read, especially when posted by someone who has been wrong on a stock for a long period of time.
    ==...Never assume people are who they say they are, or know
    == what they say they know about such things as sell-through rates, a company's financials, or the quality of a product.
    ==And remember that disgruntled ex-employees will often post negative things, ignoring or distorting positive developments for a company,"


    Be Careful Out There!"

    http://messages.yahoo.com/bbs?action...sid=1607137051
  5. #45  
    Please note that Rome has no problem outright lying about posters since he simply doesn't have the inate ability to address posts themselves.

    Caveat Reader.

    =====

    Note - I have no position in PLMO and certainly haven't shorted it in quite some time; is this relevant? Has this personal information about a poster made this thread more whole!?

    Hey! I know what!

    I hereby GIVE PERMISSION for Miradu to violate my privacy and REVEAL my answers to all polls - including those like the "How many Treos have you had"!

    Oh.

    Wait.

    I didn't respond to that poll because it wouldn't have been honest to do so.

    Oh, what the hell - he can MAKE UP answers then!

    I can confirm that Postman and mps232 shared (at one point) the same IP address.
    BTW - my IP address changes every once in awhile and my ISP reassigns the IP address I had to another user (since we're cable connected). I wonder if another user on my ISP could have an interest in TreoCentral - it IS the biggest, afterall.

    Nah...
  6. #46  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Pinheads who say "Love it or leave it" are...well...pinheads.
    Namecalling? What an intelligent response, and here I expected less from you. Guess you showed me!
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  7. #47  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Hey! I know what!

    I hereby GIVE PERMISSION for Miradu to violate my privacy and REVEAL my answers to all polls - including those like the "How many Treos have you had"!

    Oh.

    Wait.

    I didn't respond to that poll because it wouldn't have been honest to do so.

    Oh, what the hell - he can MAKE UP answers then!


    BTW - my IP address changes every once in awhile and my ISP reassigns the IP address I had to another user (since we're cable connected). I wonder if another user on my ISP could have an interest in TreoCentral - it IS the biggest, afterall.

    Nah...

    You are twisting the facts. Miradu did not actually reveal any private information, such as the users IP address (which would be a questionable act), all he did was verify the likelihood that the two posters were one and the same. Alluding to Miradu revealing answers to polls does not help your argument at all. He did no such thing.

    If only your name were accurate...
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  8. #48  
    To carry this to an even more absurd length...

    No, what a TreoCentral Staff Member did was use information available only to TreoCentral about a particular user and reveal that information to the public, apparently without the user's overt permission.

    Is this HORRIBLE? Nah...

    Should it have been done? Nah...
  9. #49  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    To carry this to an even more absurd length...

    No, what a TreoCentral Staff Member did was use information available only to TreoCentral about a particular user and reveal that information to the public, apparently without the user's overt permission.

    Is this HORRIBLE? Nah...

    Should it have been done? Nah...
    Your opinion.
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  10. #50  
    When a criminal commits a crime under one name and attempts to commit another crime under a new identity it is not a violation of privacy to identify that person for what he/she is. There was no privacy act material involved. The IP address wasn't even revealed. I consider it wise of the powers that be to keep an eye out for shady goings on. It also good advise that if SV feels his privacy is at risk, perhaps this is not a board he should frequent. I am comfortable so I will stay, but we all have a different level of comfort.

    That being said.....WTF!!!!!! This crook was trying to rip off people by sharing his scam and posing as someone else to promote it. I feel great knowing that vile worthless criminal scum was revealed for what he was. Good job guys!!!!!
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    To carry this to an even more absurd length...

    No, what a TreoCentral Staff Member did was use information available only to TreoCentral about a particular user and reveal that information to the public, apparently without the user's overt permission.

    Is this HORRIBLE? Nah...

    Should it have been done? Nah...

    Should this have been done...YES

    We all agree to not use the boards for illegal activity. Being a confidence artist is illegal. This is not a goverment forum so the moderators have the right to be judge and jury. We as the consumers can express our (dis)agreement with our use or non use of these boards.
  12. #52  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    When a criminal commits a crime under one name and attempts to commit another crime under a new identity it is not a violation of privacy to identify that person for what he/she is. There was no privacy act material involved. The IP address wasn't even revealed. I consider it wise of the powers that be to keep an eye out for shady goings on. It also good advise that if SV feels his privacy is at risk, perhaps this is not a board he should frequent. I am comfortable so I will stay, but we all have a different level of comfort.
    Well said!

    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    That being said.....WTF!!!!!! This crook was trying to rip off people by sharing his scam and posing as someone else to promote it. I feel great knowing that vile worthless criminal scum was revealed for what he was. Good job guys!!!!!
    I couldn't agree more!
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    We as the consumers can express our (dis)agreement with our use or non use of these boards.
    Or maybe express public dismay at it rather than Love It Or Leave It?

    See how far THAT got me....

    Giggle.
  14. #54  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    Or maybe express public dismay at it rather than Love It Or Leave It?

    See how far THAT got me....

    Giggle.
    Express away. But seriously, why frequent a board where you feel privacy is violated. I sure wouldn't feel comfortable with that. Of course it's fun to make noise too isn't it.
    Last edited by dutchtrumpet; 07/12/2004 at 07:48 PM.
  15. #55  
    Quote Originally Posted by dutchtrumpet
    Express away. But seriously, why frequent a board where you feel privacy is violated. I sure wouldn't feel comfortable with that. Of course it's fun to make noise too isn't it.
  16. #56  
    Yee Gads! I am really amazed at the turn of this thread!

    You have prompted me to do something I have never done before: I have read the Terms of Service and the Privacy Policy. While neither will ever make the New York Times Best Seller list, there is some interesting reading within. To wit:

    IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH THIS WEB SITE, OR ANY PORTION THEREOF, YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY SHALL BE TO CEASE USING THE WEB SITE.
    TERMINATION: Peracto reserves the right to terminate your Account at any time or for any reason, with or without notice. Once your Account is terminated you agree not to post on the message boards, or to assist or cause another person to post messages on your behalf.
    TreoCentral is deeply committed to protecting the privacy of Internet users. Below is information outlining our continued support for the responsible management of consumer information.....During the process of accessing TreoCentral, we do not collect any personally identifiable information about you such as name, address, phone number, or e-mail address. However, TreoCentral does obtain some types of non-personally identifiable information such as the Internet Service Provider you use to connect to the Internet, your browser type, or the type of computer operating system you use (Macintosh or Windows, for example). The information collected by TreoCentral is used to improve the site to fit our users needs.

    In some cases, you may voluntarily provide personal information, such in the case of creating an account on our bulletin board or entering a contest.

    TreoCentral, as well as most sites on the Internet, use "cookies" to enhance your experience on the web.

    If you do not want the benefit of cookies, there is a simple procedure to manually delete your cookies. Please consult your web browser's Help documentation for more information.

    If you would like to "opt out," that is, to prevent any data from being stored by TreoCentral, please send an email to editor@TreoCentral.com

    One take-home message here is indeed "love it or leave it". SV, you probably have not changed the mind of even one other TreoCentral member. Why you stay is beyond me, although I personally find you amusing. Feel free to utilize the "remedy" above if you are not satisfied. A second message is that we are forewarned that our IP addresses are monitored. "Postman" attempted to deceive us and matching his IP to that of MS was adequate proof. I'll bet he is laughing his a$$ off right now at the way in which SV is obliquely defending him. The final message is that Miradu can boot your derriere from this board "for any reason".

    No personal data was revealed, no poll responses were opened, nothing untoward occurred except for the unmasking of a criminal. Why that bothers you, SV, I can't imagine.

    Actually, I sympathize with SV more than you might imagine. I post on another board devoted to my profession. I often go head to head with a manufacturer whose product is, in my humble opinion, a piece of garbage. Others disagree with me, and ultimately, everyone is entitled to their opinion. In my personal Shangri La, everyone is entitled to MY opinion, but that is not the way it works HERE!

    I counsel peace, love, and tolerance, and I will be more than happy to beat the SH*T out of anyone who disagrees!
  17. BigTex's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor
    To carry this to an even more absurd length...

    No, what a TreoCentral Staff Member did was use information available only to TreoCentral about a particular user and reveal that information to the public, apparently without the user's overt permission.

    Is this HORRIBLE? Nah...

    Should it have been done? Nah...
    Info only avil to TC staff huh?...Check this out SV...

    http://www.danasoft.com/vipersig.jpg

    http://www.danasoft.com

    Still feel safe in your anonimity SV?
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

    Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
  18. #58  
    Quote Originally Posted by SeldomVisitor

    BTW - my IP address changes every once in awhile and my ISP reassigns the IP address I had to another user (since we're cable connected). I wonder if another user on my ISP could have an interest in TreoCentral - it IS the biggest, afterall.

    Nah...
    So let me understand this, you think the chances are that postman and mps232 both use the same ISP and they reissued that IP address exactly when postman created his first post on a topic that benefited mps232. That is some coincidence. Maybe you need to review your stats and how IP addresses work.

    And if IP addresses are recycled so often, they hold absolutely no value as PERSONAL information. It would be the equivalent of someone saying two users are using the same type of browser or type of computer but not what that browser or computer is.

    This act was the same as someone entering a contest under two names and the judges checking the envelopes and seeing both entries came from the same address and disqualifying the person.

    This person was trying to deceive us and was caught. Did lama divulged more personal information about this person then TREOCENTRAL did. Beyond the fact that this individual was trying to do something on the borderline of illegal, dishonest at the very least, and he forfeited his privacy to TreoCentral upon doing that. True that isn't completely verified but they took a measured response and stated a reasonable amount of information that did no harm to anyone but stopped anyone from being harmed. They did the right thing with the information they had.
  19. #59  
    I apologize that I did not reply sooner to this thread. It slipped my eye and I missed the last few days of comments.

    Ground Rules:
    When you visit TreoCentral, or ANY website, your IP address is revealed and most likely stored by that website. If you do not want this to happen, there are many anonymizer services that will cloak your IP address for you.

    Through our terms of service, and the click through terms you signed when registering on this forum, we reserve the right to moderate and ban any user for any reason. This provides a level of control to this forum, protecting us from legal issues, and allows us to help keep this forum a safe place for all users. If you do not like this policy, you are very welcome to leave and never come back.

    What Happened:
    An important part of moderation is to protect the users of this forum. In this case, there was a questionable posting of an ebay auction with supposed testimonials from two individuals, one of which turned out to be the auction seller. While we allow marketplace listings to exist, it has never been our policy to allow fraud, warez, or any other even possible illegal postings to exist on our forums. As we reserve the full right of control on this forum, I first investigated the claims, and then after finding a high probability that these two users were the same, and were most likely trying to trick our users, removed their links and emails from the thread.

    I investigated the users using a feature of our forum software. vBulletin stores every IP address that a user enters TreoCentral with- primarily to enable moderators to check users for multiple identities. In the administration software, there is even a button too "find all other users with this IP address" . I used this feature to check if the mps232 and postman were perhaps the same person. After concluding that they shared an IP address at one point of time, and looking at the likelihood that in four hours an IP address to be reassigned to another user who also, coincidently bid on this auction and posts at TreoCentral is nil, I was able to make a fair judgment that these users most likely are the same person.

    Please note that this information will never prove conclusively that these two users were the exact same individual. There is a very small chance that they were different, but it was in the best interest of this site to not allow the promotion of these auctions to continue.

    Privacy:
    It is of my opinion, that saying that one user has the same IP address as another user does not violate anyones privacy. As stated above, an IP address is non-identifyable and public. In our privacy policy we make it clear that we collect all IP addresses. In fact, as our privacy policy states,
    The information collected by TreoCentral is used to improve the site to fit our users needs.
    We retain the right to use the information that we collect to "fit our users needs". Protecting our users from a possible fraudulent auction by using our collected IP addresses surely fits the idea that we are protecting our users needs.

    It was important for me to to note in my first post that these users shared an IP address so that I could give a reason to why I would moderate their posts. It was also important to note in my post that these users shared an IP address because it gave credibility to my claims that they most likely were the same person. I provided only the information that was needed by our readers. TreoCentral values your privacy, and will NEVER post the email address, or other private information that you have provided us without your explicit permission, as outlined in our privacy policy.

    Now What:
    A forum with 29,000 users is going to run into problems every once in awhile. Inappropriate arguments, legal issues, and spamming are many of the issues that we have to deal with everyday. We understand that this will happen, and because of that we have set up the systems of moderation to deal with it. We will use all tools at our disposal to keep TreoCentral the best Treo forum, and a safe place for users to ask their question, and receive Treo information. We encourage your comments, and suggestions to how we may best do this. However, as our terms of service state:
    IF YOU ARE DISSATISFIED WITH THIS WEB SITE, OR ANY PORTION THEREOF, YOUR EXCLUSIVE REMEDY SHALL BE TO CEASE USING THE WEB SITE.
    -Michael Ducker
    Senior Editor, TreoCentral.com
    michael@treocentral.com
  20. #60  
    i love T|C!!!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions