1.    #1  
    Just went on vacation for a week and had roaming service with a full signal. I know that I can't receive data service while roaming, but is there an application or way to hook up my Treo 600 (Sprint) to my laptop to get dial-up data service. The closest dial-up number was a toll call and it got a bit expensive...just wondering. Thanks.

cj
    I got my treo 600 last month, and tried to use it to dial up to my isp...I never got it to work (connected, but couldn't download any pages), and apparently I spent 49 minutes total doing this, cause Sprint just charged me $20 for the experiment!!!!! Beware! good luck, and let me know if you succeed without the $.39/min charge!
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    PDAnet is a software app that you can use to connect your laptop to the 'net using GPRS on your Treo - since it's just data, there's no charge from Sprint. I've used it successfully across the US, and I can sometimes get close to dial-up speeds with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by jg70124
    PDAnet is a software app that you can use to connect your laptop to the 'net using GPRS on your Treo - since it's just data, there's no charge from Sprint. I've used it successfully across the US, and I can sometimes get close to dial-up speeds with it.
    Did I understand this correctly, Sprint has GPRS? ... on CDMA Treo 600 phones?
  5.    #5  
    will it work when roaming???
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Isn't Sprint Vision just their implementation of GPRS? In any case, PDAnet works fine with Sprint's data service.

And I was going to say that yes, it works fine when roaming. But then I realized that maybe I've never been off Sprint's network. (north and south NJ, NY city and upstate, north, south and west Florida, Louisiana, California, Connecticut, New Hampshire). So I don't know the answer to that...
    Sprint uses CDMA, not GPRS. Since PDANet uses Sprint's Vision data services, which only work on the Sprint CDMA network, I don't think there is any chance at all that it would work when roaming. I've never specifically tried it out so I can't say for sure that it doesn't work.

A bit more on CDMA and GPRS: http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...prs+difference
    Vision will not work while roaming.
    While roaming, voicemail indicator, text messages, and vision do not work.

You would have to dial up to you isp with the high per minute data cost.
    Why can't you receive data?

I'm on a Cingular nationwide plan with no roaming charges and I get data wherever I go included.
    Quote Originally Posted by MVT
    Why can't you receive data?

I'm on a Cingular nationwide plan with no roaming charges and I get data wherever I go included.
    Be especially careful when you roam outside of US. I received text msg (AP news) when I was traveling in Asia and I got charged for International Data Roaming .

So, turn off those news service when travel abroad.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Well, I know Sprint uses CDMA for voice - but I thought they had a parallel GRPS network for data, the way GSM vendors do.

My mistake.