1.    #1  
    I feel I'm missing something here. I know a lot of people love this software, but I don't see the advantage. While I'd love to have good data storage on the go, and I have my Treo with me most anywhere, there's rarely a Palm hotsync cable on the computer I'd want to send my files too. I wouldn't want to bring my hotsync cable everywhere because it's bulky and a pain to disconnect and reconnect from my desktop. So I'm wonder why people would use this software vs. a small USB SD card reader. I'm think they make some that are keychain sized which would surely be more portable than a hotsync cord, no?

Here's an example of a piece of hardware that I found in 5 minutes that would seem to do the same thing:

http://www.everythingusb.com/hardwar...Drive_Trio.htm

Another side benefit is that I could my SD card from my Treo the Trio.
    For me, the point is that my little SD card readers get lost easily (I couldn't find mine last night when I needed it for example), whereas my Treo is always right at hand.

In regards to the sync cable, take a look at one of those little retractable cables. If I knew I am going to need to transfer data on a trip, I could just grab my little sync & charge and go. And because I use the sync & charge daily, I also know where that is all the time.

For me it's convienence.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
  3.    #3  
    Yeah I guess if you are going on a trip where you are bringing your sync cable it makes sense. I would think you are just as likely (or more likely) to lose your sync cable as you are the key reader. I'd always able to find my card reader (if I got one) at the end of my keychain.

For me, I'd be more likely to use it as a shuttle from home to work or to a friend's house. In that case, buying an extra sync cable and the software is going to be more money than the simple SD card reader.

I see some point to Card Export for people that always have a sync cable handy, but I would expect it to be a vast minority of people who find it more convienent than a mini SD reader.
    I agree with bmacfarland - I have mentioned before that I don't see how does purchasing a special cable+card export compare to purchasing a card reader (or even a normal flash drive). The price for each option will be about the same.

The only convenience for me, is when my treo is already connected to the USB port on my computer and I want to grab/write something from/to it fast. I use PFB though, which has the added benefits of being free and allowing you to access the main memory as well.

This said, everyone has the right to have their own opinion, habbits, and "likes"-"like-nots. So it is always good to have a choice - you don't have to use something, which you don't need/want/like.
    Did you use Profeo today ?
  5.    #5  
    I could see the advantage of using card export over purchasing a separate flash drive. If I have a gigabite SD card, I'd like to reuse that (either through a card reader or Card Export) rather than have to spend another $200-300 or whatever for a 1GB flash drive.

And again, to each their own. I suppose I didn't see it as a front-page level TreoCentral story or something that should be on Gizmodo.com. I think there's much more exciting software out there that would apply to more people. But maybe I'm just crazy.
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    The point is it's much faster to move stuff (software, pictures, music) to the SD card using Card Export than it is using HotSync. (Order of magnitude faster). So if you use your Treo as an MP3 player, Card Export is an excellent addition.

And I always have a hotsync cable - so I can charge my Treo when I'm travelling.
  7.    #7  
    I wasn't suggesting using hotsync. I was suggesting using a SD card reader which would be at least as fast as Card Export, but probably faster.

I'll give you that pretty much everyone has a hotsync cable when travelling. How many bring one when you visit a friend at his house? With the solution I suggest you just pop the card out of your Treo and put in your keychain reader and plug into the machine. Voila, instant new drive with all the files appears on the computer.
    Ya, I made the same point here http://mytreo.net/forum/YaBB.cgi?boa...29;start=19#19

The Jump Drive seems like a much better solution. I would rather take that than a sync cable. Also, if you are going to lose the Jump Drive you are also likely to lose a small retractable sync cable.

Mike
    for those people that use card reader i'm trying to use it to move kinoma movies from my pc to my treo it goes through but when i look in my kinoma it doesnt show the file how can i get kinoma to find the movie thats already on my card? please help
    I'm with BMcfarland - I gave Card Export a look, but the slow speed (compared to my JumpDrive) and the fact that the Treo is not available for any other functions during file x-fer made me say 'no thanks' to the app.

Yes, Card Export may be better than HotSync, but if you have a reader already....maybe not so great.
    For what it's worth, if you carry a retractable sync-n-charge cable you can also use it to charge the Treo from a USB port (and from an outlet if you want to carry an outlet attachment for the cable). Can't do that with a Jump Drive.

I've got a Jump Drive and like it, but I'd rather carry the cable. I think it's just a personal preference.
    i have a card reader and still use card export. Maybe it is my card reader, but I have had no issues reading a card after using card export. I cant say the same when i used the card reader.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
  13.    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by mercer
    For what it's worth, if you carry a retractable sync-n-charge cable you can also use it to charge the Treo from a USB port (and from an outlet if you want to carry an outlet attachment for the cable). Can't do that with a Jump Drive.
    I hadn't thought of the feature of actually charging from the sync cable. Does it charge very fast from a USB port? I didn't think USB ports had huge amounts of power.

I can see the personal preference though. Just out of curiousity, do you bring your sync-n-charge cable everywhere like you could a Jump Drive? Or does it just come on business trips and the like?
    Global Posts
    328 Global Posts
    Seems to charge just fine from the USB port, although I usually leave it plugged in over night.

The Hot Sync cable lives in my laptop case, so it goes with me whenever I take the computer. And since I've had the Treo, I find I take the computer with me less - usually only when I'm going to be travelling overnight.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    Just out of curiousity, do you bring your sync-n-charge cable everywhere like you could a Jump Drive? Or does it just come on business trips and the like?
    The only time the Jump Drive or the sync-n-charge cable travels is for out of town trips. Haven't taken any since Card Export 2 came out, so it was always the Jump Drive before, AND the cable for charging at USB ports or outlets at the convention floor. You mean you never woke up one morning and realized you forgot to recharge the Treo the night before?

For future trips the cable alone is sufficient.

Incidentally, last night I transferred an album of music to Treo's card. I first used Card Export 2 ... 32 minutes to transfer! I cut it off, popped out the card and plugged it into a USB2 card reader attached to my desktop ... 35 seconds. So if you expect to be transferring a LOT of data (64 MB in my case) you will definitely want a USB2 card reader and not Card Reader 2. Incidentally, the Lexar JumpDrive Trio is a USB1 device, so you can estimate it's 5 times slower than a USB2 reader.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmacfarland
    So I'm wonder why people would use this software vs. a small USB SD card reader. I'm think they make some that are keychain sized which would surely be more portable than a hotsync cord, no?

Here's an example of a piece of hardware that I found in 5 minutes that would seem to do the same thing:

http://www.everythingusb.com/hardwar...Drive_Trio.htm

Another side benefit is that I could my SD card from my Treo the Trio.
    Two words: Convergence and convenience.

Convenience has already been discussed for the most port. But there still one convenience factor that noone has hit on yet. I can carry an SD card reader with me easy enough. And there are models that are even smaller than the one you found which make it a great option. But even if I had one of these readers I would still use Card Export.

Personally, I have a sync cable/cradle plugged in permenantly at work and at home so all of this is null and void, but just for the sake of argument...

Lets say I get an SD card reader. We all have at least ONE sync cable and most of us probably leave it connected to the same computer all the time. I'd gamble to say that most of us connect our Treo to the PC just about everytime we come home. (To let it charge if nothing else) So from the point that it is connected to the PC compare the following steps.

Without CardExport:
    ?) Find SD card reader
    1) Eject card from Treo
    2) Insert card in reader
    3) Insert reader into PC

With CardExport:
    1) Run CardExport

As far as convergence goes, I call it "cool factor." It's mostly just to be able to say that it's one less device you have to carry with you because your Treo acts as a removable disk for your PC.

You just get a bigger "Wow" out of that than you do from "I can take the memory out of this and put it in my PC at home."

Although I still wouldn't put it on my keychain, I have to admit that even the retractable sync/charge cables are not as small as some SD card readers. But even the smallest SD card readers I've found seem to be close in size to the one shown in the link below. I mean, it's almost as big as the Treo. Would you really want that on your keychain?

http://www.gearbits.com/archives/000740.html

--TechDude
    Last edited by TechDude; 07/09/2004 at 03:56 PM. Reason: I'm stupid
    I don't have a card reader at the office like I do at home, rather than carry that reader from home to office and back, I opted for Card Export.

One thing that bothered me one time, I copied files over via the card reader and got distracted. I forgot the SD on the reader when I picked up my phone.

IMHO, it is subject to individual needs and requirements.
    ronbo
    use card keeper .. it will give a beep every 1 min if your SD is not in the treo
    it helps me a lot of time .. coz sotmime i get distracted and left my sd on the reader
    Quote Originally Posted by xaix
    ronbo
    use card keeper .. it will give a beep every 1 min if your SD is not in the treo
    it helps me a lot of time .. coz sotmime i get distracted and left my sd on the reader
    Thanks, I will check the software out.
    I've had a card reader since I bought my Treo 600, but I purchased Card Export last month. Simply put, I just don't have my card reader with me as often as I have the hotsync cable. I have a cable at home and one at the office and I have the cable whenever I'm traveling. Can't say that about the card reader unless I make a point to remember it, which is difficult since its use isn't always something you plan for.