1.    #1  
    dear all,

i am trembling with excitement as i write this, i just saw a post on phonemag with information about the soon to be announced Treo 600 on verizon!!!!!

http://www.phonemag.com/index.php/we...eo_600_smartp/

Well I’ll be darn! It’s about time Verizon offers the Treo 600 to their subscribers. SlashPhone got an anonymous tip with detail information of the upcoming announcement.

Verizon Wireless and PalmOne™ are pleased to announce the arrival of the Treo™ 600 Smartphone. The launch date will be communicated in the next few days.
    it seems the source leads to an article on slashphone here:

http://www.slashphone.com/73/651.html

with full pictures, pricing and specification details!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I met with two NYC Verizon WL Biz Reps yesterday and they confirmed it will be out, is the T600, silver in color and pricing of the above ads. Pricing for Biz customers will be much better with a 2 yr deal.
    That information seems to have come from a document posted on another thread at Teo Central yesterday. The document appeared to be a selling sheet for the messaging being developed by Verizon and what they want their reps to know about.
    It's also been our lead article on the front for two days. (At the end it gets to the new information) And slashphone appears to be using us as at least a partial source, they republished my article on their site, http://www.slashphone.com/news/?m=show&id=651&page=5, without giving attribution to tc. hmm... That's not very nice.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Miradu, you should kindly point this out to them.

All of the gadget sites are pointing to that Slashphone link, as if they broke the news.

Obviously, it came from these very forums and your article.

Not nice at all
    everything was beautiful and nobody hurt.
    I had a Treo 300 with Sprint for the past year and was going to get a 600 with them, but we had to switch to Verizon a couple of weeks ago because of service holes that Sprint was unable/unwilling to fix (phone had very poor reception at my office and no reception at our lake place). The goal was to get the Treo 600 when we moved to Verizon, but they refuse to offer it or promise anything until the announcement is official. So, I have their cheapie phone until the 600 is available

Does anyone know of any way for me to upgrade? I mean, carrier schmarrier, I've been loyal to the Treo more than anything else. Does PalmOne put any stock in that? Or is it something that will be driven by Verizon -- who is notorious for not dealing? Any thoughts on this?
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by miradu
    It's also been our lead article on the front for two days. (At the end it gets to the new information) And slashphone appears to be using us as at least a partial source, they republished my article on their site, http://www.slashphone.com/news/?m=show&id=651&page=5, without giving attribution to tc. hmm... That's not very nice.

Looks like they did give attribution to the writer which was

Tue Jul 6, 2004 - 6:09 PM EDT - By Michael Ducker
    and a link back to TreoCentral. And it looks like your article was used in good will by letting readers know that the hard work that went into the petition paid off. I think that if you have problem with them using your article just post a comment in their forum:

http://www.slashphone.com/forums/sho...?threadid=1052
    Quote Originally Posted by PDAZealot
    Looks like they did give attribution to the writer which was

and a link back to TreoCentral.

http://www.slashphone.com/news/?m=show&id=651&page=5
    Hm. They took the content directly from a TC page. Including the title, which is why the byline is still there, I'm guessing.

After looking around a little, I see that the title is the link to TC, which is fine, but that should be plainly stated. If you visit the page and don't mouseover that link, it appears to be original content written for Slashphone.

Heck, the "Source" link at the bottom of the page directs people to the petition page for the Treo 600, and not TC.

It's only a little more effort to properly attribute the work to it's rightful owner, especially when you're doing so without permission.
    Has anyone contacted a VZW Corporate store to see if launch kits have arrived? The factsheet remarks that these launch kits are to arrive a week before the launch. Of course, if the stores have them then it's a great indication that the T600 will be launching within days.
    They did credit me for writing it, but that doesn't help this site.. I don't care about personal recognition, I want to make the opinion of TC better in the eyes of the web community. I guess I should have not complained because they have now taken it down completely, leaving nothing hinting of an orginal source of TC on their site. *sigh*

I chose to not write a direct, "here's a rumor article", because I was getting frustrated by the amount of rumor articles we were publishing, so I tried to make a more interesting to read article that covered the history and gave a bit more info. That was my mistake, because not many people read to the end of that article. So be it.

Verizon is coming, very soon. I'm excited. Both Kiplingers and Fortune Mag. have advertisements for the Treo 600 with verizon listed as a carrier.
    -Michael Ducker
    TreoCentral Staff
    Miradu,

I may not have properly communicated that it was the lack of a direct and plainly written link to TC that I was concentrating on in my post. Obviously they did credit you for writing it, but as noted previously, the source link was not properly attributed to the site from which the article was taken, giving no benefit to TC in general.

And I also noticed the pains you took while writing the article to try to stave off "rumoritis," which we've all fallen victim to in the past months. And while it didn't have that "hot zing" factor associated with unsubstantiated rumors, it nearly sounded like a well-written journalistic piece.

I've also noticed that the frequency of news-posting and article writing has picked up - very important features if you want to grow our reputation.

No news is bad news on a news site

Keep up the good work!
    Last edited by adimiron; 07/08/2004 at 01:01 PM. Reason: typos!