Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Is anyone else having problems accessing the messaging.sprintpcs.com SMS gateway on port 25 ? It seems that, while you can ping this server by it's name, a telnet session on port 25 doesn't respond. So, if you want to use e-mail to send an SMS you're out of luck. Since all of the triggered SMS e-mail mechanisms use this type of communication, it kinda blows things out of the water for "Instant Delivery" of new e-mail messages.

Anyone ?
    works fine from an email account. I just sent an SMS to myself, via email from work, to the XXXXXXXXXX@messaging.sprinpcs.com
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    Thanks. Can you tell me who your ISP is ?

Or even better...

I'm thinking that Sprint migrated their SMS gateway over the holiday weekend, and my ISP hasn't picked up the DNS refresh yet.

If it works for you, can you PING messaging.sprintpcs.com and tell me what IP address it resolves to ?
    Last edited by KKenna; 07/07/2004 at 10:42 AM.
    it's a company things, so I don't know who it is.
    HOw ever, your over the holiday theory makes sence, becasue I was having PCS email issues over the holiday
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    You can't get to a command prompt and issue the command "ping messaging.sprintpcs.com" and tell me what IP address shows up ?
    65.174.43.73 is the address my mail server pings for messaging.sprintpcs.com.
    Mail is delivered without any problems right now. (Just tried it)

I would hope that telnet would be disabled on port 25 of their mail servers. I'd hope it would be disabled all-together for security reasons. Just because telnet is not responding doesn't mean a thing. A mail server and telnet are mutually exclusive and while one might work the other might not (or in most cases one or the other would be disabled).
    Global Posts
    419 Global Posts
    The problem was resolved about 45 minutes after my last post. Just so you know, you can use telnet to do a quick test to see if a service responds on any port (i.e. - telnet messaging.sprintpcs.com 25). This isn't exactly the same thing as telnet access, but will tell you if you have an answer. They can't shut down port 25 on a mail server.
    ah, that's cool. Thanks for the quick info - good to learn something new I didn't realize that telnet would give any kind of response if it wasn't a port designated for telnet.