Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    newtreouser called me from his device over the weekend. I honestly could not tell he was using a car-kit.

I ordered one myself (though before the upgrade). I needed a 3.5mm jack for my mic and he was glad to oblige. He even left the 2.5mm jack in case I change over.

By the way, will the fact that you added an extra mic jack effect the quality or function of the kit?

I kind of hard-wired the iRock today. I spliced into my cars cigg. lighter (using crimp connectors so that I can do a rapid de-install without having to re-solder or risk voiding my car's warranty), added a spare hidden cigg. lighter, and stuck the iRock just under the stereo. It's all invisible. I have not done any of the wiring for the mic yet since I want to test out a few first. I even found a hidden spot for the MP3 switch.

What I really enjoyed was making a magnetic holder for my treo. I got the idea from someone else on this forum, but I think their post got deleted in the crash awhile back.

I took an ~2"x1" L-bracket, attached two large magnets, covered the whole thing in a piece of scrap fake leather, and slipped it into a seam on my dash. To keep it from sliding, I slipped out one of my components, stuck a couple of small screws the the bracket and into a hidden part of the dash, then put the component back. Even if I removed it, there will never be a visible mark since the screw-holes are inside. The treo never budges, not even on hard bumps. The whole thing cost me about $3.00.

Here are pics:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    GalenMD, the extra mic jack should not effect the quality or function of my car kit. (unless you try to plug 2 mics in at the same time and you probably know that. )

You should be receiving your car kit today or tomorrow. Keep us posted how your install goes.

Looks like you'll have a sweet invisible install. You will have to pick a location to mount the car kit's toggle switch, which requires a 1/4" dia mounting hole and about 1.5" clearance behind for the wiring.

I am curious what holds your treo securely to your custom holder? Is there a lip on the bottom of the L bracket that supports the weight of the Treo? And does the magnet then hold the Treo to the bracket? It's hard to tell from the pics.

Note the title of ths thread: MP3 /Speakerphone Treo 600 car kit, which will be the official new name of my product.

So far, the only people who bought my car kit have Sprint's (CDMA) version of the Treo 600. I have not tested it with the GSM version but I see no reason why it shoudn't work just as well with my MP3/ Speakerphone Treo 600 car kit. Anyone here with a GSM Treo want to give it a try? I will offer you a money back guarantee if you have any problems with it.

Quote Originally Posted by GalenMD
    newtreouser called me from his device over the weekend. I honestly could not tell he was using a car-kit.

I ordered one myself (though before the upgrade). I needed a 3.5mm jack for my mic and he was glad to oblige. He even left the 2.5mm jack in case I change over.

By the way, will the fact that you added an extra mic jack effect the quality or function of the kit?

I kind of hard-wired the iRock today. I spliced into my cars cigg. lighter (using crimp connectors so that I can do a rapid de-install without having to re-solder or risk voiding my car's warranty), added a spare hidden cigg. lighter, and stuck the iRock just under the stereo. It's all invisible. I have not done any of the wiring for the mic yet since I want to test out a few first. I even found a hidden spot for the MP3 switch.

What I really enjoyed was making a magnetic holder for my treo. I got the idea from someone else on this forum, but I think their post got deleted in the crash awhile back.

I took an ~2"x1" L-bracket, attached two large magnets, covered the whole thing in a piece of scrap fake leather, and slipped it into a seam on my dash. To keep it from sliding, I slipped out one of my components, stuck a couple of small screws the the bracket and into a hidden part of the dash, then put the component back. Even if I removed it, there will never be a visible mark since the screw-holes are inside. The treo never budges, not even on hard bumps. The whole thing cost me about $3.00.

Here are pics:
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    I am curious what holds your treo securely to your custom holder? Is there a lip on the bottom of the L bracket that supports the weight of the Treo? And does the magnet then hold the Treo to the bracket? It's hard to tell from the pics.
    The treo is held securely to the bracket only by the magnets.The measurement of the "pad" is about 2"x2". That's all there is. There are no hooks, lips or anything else. I just "stick" my treo to it. In fact, the magnets were so strong, I didn't even glue the them to the bracket. I used the fake leather to make the holder blend in and to protect the treo (otherwise, the magnets would scratch it to sh**). The material was thin enough to not deteriorate the strength of the magnets.

When I first heard about this, I was skeptical about any effects the magnets would have. So far, I have had no problems at all. Everything, including the card integrity works perfectly.

This is by far the best holder I could imagine. The only downside that I see so far is that I have to physically plug in the car-kit cable.
    That's cool! The Treo must have a something ferrous behind the plastic. I wonder what it is? Shielding material I'm guessing. What size, shape, and type of magnet did you use? The leather alos give it some friction so it sticks better and at the same time protect the Treo. Very nice!

The treo is held securely to the bracket only by the magnets.The measurement of the "pad" is about 2"x2". That's all there is. There are no hooks, lips or anything else. I just "stick" my treo to it. In fact, the magnets were so strong, I didn't even glue the them to the bracket. I used the fake leather to make the holder blend in and to protect the treo (otherwise, the magnets would scratch it to sh**). The material was thin enough to not deteriorate the strength of the magnets.

When I first heard about this, I was skeptical about any effects the magnets would have. So far, I have had no problems at all. Everything, including the card integrity works perfectly.

This is by far the best holder I could imagine. The only downside that I see so far is that I have to physically plug in the car-kit cable.
    Actually, the leather does not offer any friction, just protection and good looks (gives it subtlety). It also offers to dull the magnets a bit. Without it, the treo was too hard to remove.

For the magnets, I just picked up a packet of rectagular magnets at the local hardware store. There were many sizes and shapes to choose from. I wanted a single large magnet, but they had none. The ones I got were purchased as a pair.
    I'll have to guess at the measurements, but roughly: 1.5"x1.5"x1/4"
    I placed them side by side on the bracket. I should've taken pictures along the way.

Again, this whole thing costs less than $3.00. Pick up some magnets and an L-bracket of a proper size and try it out.
    OK. I received my "kit" today. As soon as I got home, I began the trial and the install.

Wow. This thing works great! I can now make and receive calls perfectly using this kit and an iRock. I flip of the switch, and I can play MP3's in beautiful stereo.

My only complaint is that the incoming voice is only heard on one channel. It makes it a little hard for me in my convertible, but then again, nobody can really hear me that well with the top down anyway.

When I first installed it, my phone would hang-up on me whenever I started to drive. Turns out, that was the wind sending a signal to disconnect. I was already resigned to not using it with the top down, but then I installed the mic in a special opening in the headliner above the rearview mirror (designed for a factory speakerphone). That solved the problem.

I tried using it with a spare Nokia mic I had from an old kit and it worked pretty well. I got even better sound with the direction mic I bought. With the top up, nobody can tell I'm on a speaker phone.

I would post pics, but there's nothing to see! I managed to completely hid everything.
    GalenMD,

Congratulations on a nice install. I am continually trying to improve my product and have been testing my MP3/ Speakerphone Treo 600 car kit with audio out to both speakers while in phone mode and it is working very well with the included mic. My older version was designed with audio out in the right speaker only in phone mode to provide max separation and minimize feedback when the volumne is cranked up. By choosing and including a good mic, feedback is no longer a problem. If you'd like to swap yours for my updated version, please contact me offline.

I bought a Bell magnetic mount after reading about your custom magnetic mount. It works great! The Bell mag mount does not fit perfecly in my other car so I will either customize it or make one from scratch.

Come to think of it, the magnet is latching on the battery rather than some shielding material as I thought earlier.

OK. I received my "kit" today. As soon as I got home, I began the trial and the install.

Wow. This thing works great! I can now make and receive calls perfectly using this kit and an iRock. I flip of the switch, and I can play MP3's in beautiful stereo.

My only complaint is that the incoming voice is only heard on one channel. It makes it a little hard for me in my convertible, but then again, nobody can really hear me that well with the top down anyway.

When I first installed it, my phone would hang-up on me whenever I started to drive. Turns out, that was the wind sending a signal to disconnect. I was already resigned to not using it with the top down, but then I installed the mic in a special opening in the headliner above the rearview mirror (designed for a factory speakerphone). That solved the problem.

I tried using it with a spare Nokia mic I had from an old kit and it worked pretty well. I got even better sound with the direction mic I bought. With the top up, nobody can tell I'm on a speaker phone.

I would post pics, but there's nothing to see! I managed to completely hid everything.
    Attached are pics of my latest MP3/ speakerphone car kit.

The "car_kit_Lconn_closeup" pic shows a the low profile L connector to the Treo 600.

The "MP3_Spkrphone_car_kit" pic shows the various components.

On the top of the pic is the IRock FM transmitter (not included), Cassette adapter (not included), Treo 600 (not included), Car Charger (not included).

On the bottom of the pic is my car kit proper. It plugs into the various components. A toggle switch selects between MP3 or Speakerphone mode.
    Shown coiled up is the mic with 8 ft mic cable, the low profile L connector cable to the Treo is 30” long. The jack/cable that goes to the Cassette adapter/iRock/Aux input is 16” long. Mount the toggle switch in an easy to access location, mount your Treo 600 to a mount of your choice (not included. I highly recommend the Bell Magnetic mount or make a custom magnetic mount if you’re handy), route the mic and cabling up to the visor and you’re done.

My updated MP3/ speakerphone car kit includes:

• A high quality, excellent sounding external mic with 8 ft cabling.
    • A Low profile L connector to the Treo 600

My updated MP3/ speakerphone car kit provides the following functionality:

Great sounding MP3 stereo playback through your car stereo speakers via the following inputs:
    • Cassette adapter (not included), or
    • FM transmitter (not included), or
    • Auxiliary car stereo input (male to male stereo adapter cable required- not included)

Great sounding full duplex hands-free speakerphone with external mic via BOTH of your car stereo speakers.

Priced at $75 plus $5 shipping and handling in the USA.

Everyone who bought one loves it. Satisfaction guaranteed!

Paypal or Email me at firepiston@yahoo.com if you want to order one or have any questions or special requirements.

Delivery is 3 to 4 business days after payment received.
  9.    #29  
    So sorry to all for the delay. As promised, here are some pix. Though again, there ain't much to see. The red arrow indicates where I installed the switch. If you didn't know it didn't belong, you'd think it came that way.

The stereo has 2 aux ports, so I just have to switch over to listen to mp3s or take a call.

I'm gonna post these one at a time, just 'cuz. Enjoy!

Adam
  10.    #30  
    a similar shot...
  11.    #31  
    a 2-shot, showing the Treo mounted, and the mount folded back when not in use. These were taken in bright sunlight. Normally, the mount is far less visible (black against a black background).
  12.    #32  
    Getting bolder with the multiple attachments

The underneath shot is to show how the mount is attached. You'd never see it that way without crawling under the passenger's seat.

And a sideways view. From the driver's seat, you can't see that mount at all.

By the way, I currently use a small velcro strip to secure the Treo...but I'm looking into this whole magnet concept. Crazy!
  13.    #33  
    Last one. Shows the mic dangling from my visor. Not ideal, but not the fault of this system: attaching it to the doorpost would put it too far from my mouth.

I did a bit of investigating to find a better mic, and found out that they're not sold as standalone items: if you get an off-the-shelf car kit, they generally come with proprietary mics that are powered for more gain.

Hope these helped some of you...

Adam
    Nice job with the install Adam! GalenMD, I'd love to see pics of your install as well.

I [played around with a custom magnetic mount Rev 0 today and here's some pics:

Pic 1. I took a thin sheet of acrylic and put it over a hot soldering iron to bend it into a u-bracket, using double sided carpet tape glued onto the back 2 bar magnets from Home Depot ($2.00 for both),

Pic 2. Shows the Treo plugged into my MP3/ speakerphone car kit, car charger and held by the magnetic mount which handily slips into the instrument panel cluster.

Pic 3. shows the easy access through the steering wheel to make and receive calls, play MP3 etc.

This magnetic mount works great! Each car is different so use your imagination and make your own custom magnetic mount.

I tried it on a Nokia phone and it wouldn't stick. Now I think the Treo 600 has something else that is ferrous inside the back cover other than the battery.
    Following Waldman's lead, I went out and captured a few pics of my car-kit mount.

The first few pics show the magnetic mount I created. That was a nifty mount that you made, newtreouser, but I want to keep the unit away from the wheel myself.

As I said above, my holder is composed of 2 magnets (probably the same size as in newtreouser's pics) stuck to an L-bracket then wrapped in leatherette, giving it a nice soft feel.
    The picture of the center consule shows how I was able to access the gear shift area. A few screws later, and I had full access to tons of space on either side of the gear shift.

If you look to the left of the consule, I managed to push the switch through a tight space between the entire center consule and the floor well. It's not visible to anyone except the driver. It's also far enough back and next to the seat so as to not get in the way.

On the left side of the consule, I added a cigarette lighter and plugged in the iRock. I ran the adapter cable around to the other side where I buried the iRock. It's pretty close to the stereo, but I may be able to get it even closer later (if I get the motivation).

The mic picture is pretty unimpressive. It shows a small grill above the rear-view mirror and next to the dome lights. I believe this was designed for the BMW stock phone (almost $2,000 -- no, thank you).

Finally, I have a picture of my Treo hooked-up. I do not use a power cable since I don't travel that much and battery life has never been an issue.
    Nice job with the install Adam! GalenMD, I'd love to see pics of your install as well.

Pic 1. I took a thin sheet of acrylic and put it over a hot soldering iron to bend it into a u-bracket, using double sided carpet tape glued onto the back 2 bar magnets from Home Depot ($2.00 for both),

Pic 2. Shows the Treo plugged into my MP3/ speakerphone car kit, car charger and held by the magnetic mount which handily slips into the instrument panel cluster.

Pic 3. shows the easy access through the steering wheel to make and receive calls, play MP3 etc.

This magnetic mount works great! Each car is different so use your imagination and make your own custom magnetic mount.

I tried it on a Nokia phone and it wouldn't stick. Now I think the Treo 600 has something else that is ferrous inside the back cover other than the battery.
    Near Perfect Treo Location ! ! !
    The picture of the center consule shows how I was able to access the gear shift area. A few screws later, and I had full access to tons of space on either side of the gear shift.

If you look to the left of the consule, I managed to push the switch through a tight space between the entire center consule and the floor well. It's not visible to anyone except the driver. It's also far enough back and next to the seat so as to not get in the way.

On the left side of the consule, I added a cigarette lighter and plugged in the iRock. I ran the adapter cable around to the other side where I buried the iRock. It's pretty close to the stereo, but I may be able to get it even closer later (if I get the motivation).

The mic picture is pretty unimpressive. It shows a small grill above the rear-view mirror and next to the dome lights. I believe this was designed for the BMW stock phone (almost $2,000 -- no, thank you).

Finally, I have a picture of my Treo hooked-up. I do not use a power cable since I don't travel that much and battery life has never been an issue.
    Just shows to go ya! Pro Install! Very Nice!
    After being heated up by the sun today, the double sided tape let go and the magnets fell off from the acrylic sheet. I kinda expected that. Rev 1 will have the magnets crazy glued instead.

After being heated up by the sun today, the double sided tape let go and the magnets fell off from the acrylic sheet. I kinda expected that. Rev 1 will have the magnets crazy glued instead.
    If cyanoacrylate doesn't work, there are other options.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast