Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I have been searching for an easy way to access the DateStamp feature ever since the Treo devices with keyboards came out.

While there are some really great text apps out there to replace text or rapidly enter text (Textras is my favorite--Superfast and simple to use), none of them allowed access to the DateStamp or TimeStamp features.

The incorporated method is just plain aweful: select "s", hit "Alt" four times hit the Return key, then your shortcut name.

I accidentally stumbled upon a thread that was inadvertantly posted in the 300 hardware forum and found this app: ShortCut5

This is a great free utility that basically does the same thing as the shortcut feature, but uses a simple "." to activate it (Wow. One step instead of six). A bonus is that it can be used to rapidly enter text into a specific field, automatically copy/paste text or press a hard button or a button on a screen.

This can even be used a speed dial, even while in other apps (see next page of thread).
    Last edited by GalenMD; 07/07/2004 at 11:07 PM. Reason: Update
    I have a Treo600 and can use ShortCut5 to do the following (and more)
    Time Stamp (@@TS)
    Date Stamp(@@DS)
    Pull up calculator (@@CA)
    and a mess of custom shortcuts like my many email address' and such
    Rumor has it you can also pull up the brightness console (@@BR)
    as well as hard keys (@@H1-H4)
    Enjoy, Matt
    Galen, Just got an email from the author, he will get back to me on the DTS function he said. That was a quick reply, I hope he has good news for us!
    Regards, Matt
    Matt,

What "DTS function" are you waiting for?

Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    Galen, Just got an email from the author, he will get back to me on the DTS function he said. That was a quick reply, I hope he has good news for us!
    Regards, Matt
  5.    #5  
    DTS = Date and Time Stamp.

Thanks, Matt. All I really needed was the Date Stamp. I didn't know how to figure it out because I downloaded this utility from an older site that had limited instructions. The author got back to me right away and told me how to use it.

I am still using Textras for most of my text entry. The upside is that it's faster and doesn't have a limit of 50 entries. The downside is that it costs $12 (not a lot, but if every app costs that much...).
    Good deal Galen!
    Yea, he was prompt!
    Yes, I figured that you meant "date time stamp" but since shortcut 5 already does this, I just wanted to double check.

By the way, another downside to textras is that it doesn't seem to enable itself after a reset.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by paulsjmail
    By the way, another downside to textras is that it doesn't seem to enable itself after a reset.
    Yes, this is a big problem, of which they have been aware and have yet to do anything about. They told me they planned on a fix several months ago. I actually e-mailed them again today. Let's see if I get a response.
    Adding shortcut "@@ds @@ts" to name "dts" would do the the dts trick.
    I have a Treo600 and can use ShortCut5 to do the following (and more)
    Time Stamp (@@TS)
    Date Stamp(@@DS)
    Pull up calculator (@@CA)
    and a mess of custom shortcuts like my many email address' and such
    Rumor has it you can also pull up the brightness console (@@BR)
    as well as hard keys (@@H1-H4)
    Enjoy, Matt
    I enabled the Shortcut5 program in Preferences but I cannot seen to activate or use the Shortcuts.

Some help....(I am trying to use it in WordSmith).

Thanks
    Last edited by GeekyMom; 07/07/2004 at 07:57 AM.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by Axolotl
    Adding shortcut "@@ds @@ts" to name "dts" would do the the dts trick.
    Yes, I just figured that out, thanks for the info!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GeekyMom
    I enabled the Shortcut5 program in Preferences but I cannot seen to activate or use the Shortcuts.

Some help....(I am trying to use it in WordSmith).

Thanks
    I comes with zero predefined shortcuts, so you have to set some up.
    Do you have any yet?
    Try these for starters
    ts=@@ts
    ds=@@ds
    dts=@@ds @@ts
    br=breakfast
    I comes with zero predefined shortcuts, so you have to set some up.
    Do you have any yet?
    Try these for starters
    ts=@@ts
    ds=@@ds
    dts=@@ds @@ts
    br=breakfast
    Thanks Burk!

I'll IM you.

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I actually quite like how the dts is displayed... Pretty nifty. Good for showing off.
    geekymom, did you get it yet? I still can't figure it out. Jeez, I feel like an *****...
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    geekymom, did you get it yet? I still can't figure it out. Jeez, I feel like an *****...
    Yes, thanks to Burk!

1. Go into "Prefs", find Shortcut5 and enable all programs.

2. Then in Shortcut5 and Under "Name" type "ds"

3. Under "Shortcut" type: "@@ds", and hit "ok"

4. In the program like Word pad, Wordsmith type .ds and the date will come up.

gm-thanks! two questions.
    1. got it
    2. with or without quotation marks?
    3. with or without quotation marks?
    4. will this work in any app? like memo, todo, calendar, etc?
    thanks!
    eh, make that 3 questions....
    apparently I can't count.....
    This may help, got it off the ShortCut5 download

Application Description:

Freeware. ShortCut5 is a PalmOS 5.x preference panel which supports large (up to 4096 characters in size) shortcut definitions. The system shortcuts only supports small (about 45 characters in size) shortcut definitions. ShortCut5 shortcuts are in addition to the system shortcuts.

Limitations. Maximum of fifty shortcuts definitions. Each shortcut name is from one to four characters in length. Shortcut names cannot contain the period "." character. ShortCut5 is only supported on PalmOS 5.x and on locales that use single byte characters. ShortCut5 will not recursively expand shortcut definitions.

Instructions. To expand a shortcut, enter a period "." character followed immediately by the shortcut name. Do not change fields or change the insertion point within the same field while entering the shortcut name.

Time and date stamps. Use the four character "@@ts" and "@@ds" macros for time and date stamps within a shortcut definition.

App list. This is used to select a list of apps to either enable or disable (based upon the activation options in the Preferences).

Activation options in the Preferences. This is used to selectively disable and enable this preference panel. (1) Enable all apps. ShortCut5 is always enabled. (2) Disable all apps. ShortCut5 is always disabled. (3) Disable for app list. ShortCut5 is enabled for all apps except for those in the app list. (4) Enable for app list. ShortCut5 is disabled for all apps except for those in the app list.

Optimal performance. For best performance, use the app list and activation options to disable ShortCut5 when executing games or other event intensive (graphics) applications.

Advance options. There are additional four character macros that can be used within a shortcut definition. (1) "@@co" will open the command toolbar. This can be used (provided the underlying app supports it) to paste the clipboard in a shortcut definition "@@cop" or bring up the keyboard "@@cok". (2) "@@f1", "@@f2", "@@f3", "@@f4" will change the insertion point to a different text field. The macro names represent the ordering of the text fields based upon their screen position. The ordering is top to bottom, left to right. This is useful for complex shortcuts that need to span multiple text fields on a single form. Text fields within tables are not supported. (3) "@@b1", "@@b2", "@@b3", "@@b4" will press a button. The macro names represent the ordering of the buttons based upon their screen position. The ordering is bottom to top, left to right. This is useful for complex shortcuts that need to span multiple forms. (4) "@@br" will open the brightness dialog box and "@@ca" will launch the calc app. This is for Sony Decuma users who want the same functionality as in the Graffiti 2 silkscreen. (5) "@@sc" will launch the ShortCut5 preference panel. (6) "@@h1", "@@h2", "@@h3", "@@h4" will launch the four hard key applications.

Notes. The shortcut will expand at a moderate speed (as to not overflow the key queue).
    Updated Description:

Version 1.3 (6/1/2004)
    (1) Added support for changing the insertion point from within a shortcut definition. Use the four letter "@@f1", "@@f2", "@@f3", "@@f4" macros to change the insertion point to a different text field. The macro names represent the ordering of the text fields based upon their screen position (top left corner). The ordering is from top to bottom, left to right. This is useful for complex shortcuts that need to span multiple text fields on a single form. Text fields within tables are not supported. (2) Added support for pressing a button from within a shortcut definition. Use the four letter "@@b1", "@@b2", "@@b3", "@@b4" macros to press a button. The macro names represent the ordering of the buttons based upon their screen position (top left corner). The ordering is bottom to top, left to right. This is useful for complex shortcuts that need to span multiple forms. (3) Added other shortcut macros. "@@br" to popup the brightness dialog, "@@ca" to launch the calc/favorite app, "@@h1", "@@h2", "@@h3", "@@h4" to press a hard key, and "@@sc" to launch the ShortCut5 preference panel.

Version 1.2 (5/1/2004)
    (1) Added activation option to selectively enable or disable this preference panel while a user specified list of apps (up to 20) are executing. This is for use with games or other apps that don't use shortcuts but are event (usually graphics) intensive. (2) Added support for time and date stamps within a shortcut definition. (3) Added support for accessing the command toolbar within a shortcut definition.

Version 1.1 (4/20/2004)
    Added Treo 600 keyboard support (this is because the Treo 600 keyboard sents multiple keydown events per key press).
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    gm-thanks! two questions.
    1. got it
    2. with or without quotation marks?
    3. with or without quotation marks?
    4. will this work in any app? like memo, todo, calendar, etc?
    thanks!
    2-3. Without the quotation marks anywhere
    4. I have not tried it in anyplace other than WordSmith, but was told it works in Memo Pad.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast