Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Axolotl
    In regards to the dialing shortcuts, don't you press less keys by (1) pressing hard button one and then (2) hold a letter that represents the phone number you want to dial?

May be I'm not as popular as many of you... I don't feel I need 50 shortcut dials.

But seriously though, I don't find the rest of the built-in macros useful. The author also didn't quite demonstrate the use of it - which makes it fun for us to discover. Keep the practical examples coming!!
    The use of the macros is left as an exercise for the user My initial thoughts were for using an external keyboard or for email or sms apps.

50 shortcuts is the current limit but I could easily increase it. It would just make the app slower. I'm currently use a sequential search... but with more shortcuts I would need to do something better.

Mark
    Hi Mark,

I tried to think carefully of more practical use of the current macros, but to the limit of my intelligence, I still can't think of any! I thought very hard in hope to contribute some suggestion too. But I felt your ShortCut5 pretty much does its job well - couldn't think of anymore exciting features.

I guess since you've added the hardware buttons macros, you might also want to consider adding macros for launching apps. So the user can basically launch anything from anywhere. Also macros for accessing other keypresses - such as the option key, alt key and menu key on the Treo. This would be great and should allow much more freedom and combinations for the user to play around with, as long as it doesn't slow down or fatten Shortcut5 too much. You can also port some functionality and abandon Switch5. :P

Thanks again Mark for contributing free softwares to the Palm OS community, and being here to support us.
    Cool app Mark. I did notice that it registers for the 'hapl' event even though I tell it to work in all apps. Please consider adding some logic to prevent this. IMO too many apps use 'hapl' and this causes a good amount of slowdown when switching apps on the Treo, especially when combined with security software.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
    All-- long message follows which describes using S5 to make a virtual clipboard which appends successive "Copy" items into a divided list in memo pad which can be pasted as one item at a later time when all copying is done. The S5 macro listed below is particular to my configuration since I use Colauncher (via hardbutton #3) and have various applications assigned to colauncher hotkeys. However, with a little ingenuity, most of you could edit the macro for your own configs/preferred launchers. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions (or suggestions on how to solve the one issue I'm still having)

------------

I fooled around last weekend trying to make an "append-able" clipboard function using Shortcut 5, cut / paste, and palm’s memopad. I sometimes find myself needing to cut and paste multiple “source” items (from several emails, address book entries, documents, etc...) into a “target” document (email for example). This functionality may already exist in some “clipboard replacement” app(s) available for Palm OS, but it hasn't been so important for me to look for it and/or buy it, but rather I was just curious to see if I could use S5 to make a macro which would do the trick.

Background: I perform this now by exiting the target (email), going to the source app/data, select the info with the stylus, then menu-C, return to the target email menu-P and repeat that process for as many pieces of info as you need to add to your email.

I tried to build a macro which would allow me to hit each source app/data sequentially and still manually copy the source data I wanted but skip the pasting process until all the source data was copied to a common clipboard… After moving to the source app, selecting the text to copy and using menu-C to copy it to the clipboard…

I would type ".mc" (multi-copy). At that point, the S5 macro would (1) select hardbutton 3 (mapped to my application quick launcher--colauncher), (2) press n (for notes--my colauncher shortcut for Palm’s Memopad), (3) open memo named “Multi-clip” (the “append-able clipboard” memo I manually created as my memopad entry #1) (4) once memo is opened, the insertion point is at the end of the memo by default, (5) ---(return).@@cop to create a divider between entries “---“, linebreak, and then paste current Palm clipboard contents into the memo (6) close memo pad or launch another app via the Colauncher shortcut (@@h3c for colauncher-contacts or @@h3e for coluancher-email).

Later after I've strung together all of the relevant pieces of source materials in the memo pad, I could manually go to memo pad copy the entire memo and paste it into the email/doc etc... I could also 'clear' the memo pad contents manually so that it is ready for the next time.... I could also theoretically create a similar macro “Goto memo pad/select all/cut/return to email/paste” to paste the contents of my multi-clipboard into the mail I’m writing. I’ll work on that next.

That said, I set out on Saturday while at the beach to write the S5 script for this.

.mc =
    @@h3n ---
    @@cop
    @@h3c

line 1: @@h3n --- Translation: {@@h3n}=colauncher-memopad launch {“ “one space}= open memo#1 {--- line break}= enter divider ahead of paste function
    line 2: @@cop Translation: {@@cop} = command line-paste
    line 3: @@h3c Translation: {@@h3c}= colauncher-return to contacts (my usual source for the copying part of this task)

I could get tasks #1 and #2 to work ok and even #3 (space or return line after memopad is launched actually opens memo #1). But once memo #1 was opened the macro only entered the next two characters of the script: “--“. I just can’t figure out why the macro stops there. Third dash never comes….nor the remainder of the script. After some testing, I figure it must have something to do with the “opening memo 1” space bar entry (but I don’t know why) because…

…I didn’t give up there. Via testing, I found out that if I left memo pad “open” to memo #1 before using the macro (open memo #1 and don’t click the “done” button on the bottom to go to another app, just leave memo pad via the launcher or colauncher etc.) Since the last line in my .mc macro leaves memo pad the same way (in an open state) and returns me to contacts, the macro will work after that as I intended. Thus, I can repetitively hit the various sources (contacts, contact notes, emails, etc….), copy the info I want, type .mc and go to the next source info all the while a memo is building with all the copied information divided by “---“ and a line break. Geek Cool. Then I can paste all the info once into my email and edit it as needed within the same document. Obviously this functionality is limited to memo pad size limitations.

So, I have partial success. I’d still rather include “open memo” and “close memo” functionality, but for the few times a week I need to use this, I can go into memo pad and open the multi-clipboard memo before beginning the copying exercise. It’s still easier than jumping back and forth between apps manually to paste as well.

Sorry for the long message and I hope it makes some sense…. Any help on the macro break issue when the memo isn’t open would be appreciated.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by ThirdType
    Cool app Mark. I did notice that it registers for the 'hapl' event even though I tell it to work in all apps. Please consider adding some logic to prevent this. IMO too many apps use 'hapl' and this causes a good amount of slowdown when switching apps on the Treo, especially when combined with security software.
    For those that don't know... 'hapl' is the sysNotifyAppLaunchingEvent notification. I think the slowdown you see is caused by what the apps do when they receive this notification (not by the notification itself). For ShortCut5, the code path is very small when this notification is received. I don't think it would cause any noticable slow down in app switching. But I'll probably fix this in the next release.

Mark
    Hi Mark,

I tried to think carefully of more practical use of the current macros, but to the limit of my intelligence, I still can't think of any! I thought very hard in hope to contribute some suggestion too. But I felt your ShortCut5 pretty much does its job well - couldn't think of anymore exciting features.

I guess since you've added the hardware buttons macros, you might also want to consider adding macros for launching apps. So the user can basically launch anything from anywhere. Also macros for accessing other keypresses - such as the option key, alt key and menu key on the Treo. This would be great and should allow much more freedom and combinations for the user to play around with, as long as it doesn't slow down or fatten Shortcut5 too much. You can also port some functionality and abandon Switch5. :P

Thanks again Mark for contributing free softwares to the Palm OS community, and being here to support us.
    Some great suggestions...

launching apps... can't do this right now since macros are currently just two letter long (after the @@).

option and alt key... I'll add this to the next version. Should be easy.

menu key... not too useful since you can't navigate the menus using ShortCut5. This is because key presses will dismiss the menus.

Mark
    Re: Multi-item clipboard functionality via Shortcut5

A couple of things to watch out for... some operations won't work with ShortCut5. For instance you can't do a "select all" and then a "copy". This is because the key characters for the "copy" will replace the "select all". Hope this makes sense.

Also, some apps will eat the backspace characters used by ShortCut5. When ShortCut5 sees a macro, it does 4 backspaces to get rid of the macro, and then it executes the macro. This works for most apps, but some apps don't like this.

Mark
    I thought menu would be helpful so we can access menu items.

I'm not sure if you have a Treo 600 yourself Mark, but the menu is a bit different to one on the graffiti pad or DIA. As Treo users may not necessarily activate softwares like Graffiti Anywhere, we use the "menu" (which is a hard button) to access shortcut commands from the menu. The basic ones include copy and paste.

I think the menu macro is useful because sometimes there might be commands from the menu which has not been assigned with a shortcut command by the developer. In such case, we will still be able to use Shortcut5 to access it by doing something like:

"@@menu @@rightb @@downb @@downb @@centerb"

Does that make sense?
    Hi Mark-- Thanks for the info from post #47. Since my multi clipboard memo was working, I tried to work on the copy-paste last night when I discovered the exact issue you wrote about (select all-overwrite the selected text with @@coc). Oh well, it's still great that I can save some time by pasting it all into a memo automatically. I can do the select/copy/paste into my target document manually.

That said, I agree with the others that having a Treo600 "menu" keypress would be great, but I understand that might not be possible given the way the program was written to function. (dumping keys into the keypress buffer). If this were possible without 'typing' @@me (by dumping "menu key--which doesn't register on the screen--directly to the buffer), then the "Select All--Copy" issue could be overcome. I haven't coded in several years (and never for the Treo) so I realize this is easier requested than done!!! Anyway, as-is the program is a great help at a mininum for text macros. Any other functionality macros (multi-clipboard, dialing phone #s, etc...) are just icing on the cake.
    I thought menu would be helpful so we can access menu items.

I'm not sure if you have a Treo 600 yourself Mark, but the menu is a bit different to one on the graffiti pad or DIA. As Treo users may not necessarily activate softwares like Graffiti Anywhere, we use the "menu" (which is a hard button) to access shortcut commands from the menu. The basic ones include copy and paste.

I think the menu macro is useful because sometimes there might be commands from the menu which has not been assigned with a shortcut command by the developer. In such case, we will still be able to use Shortcut5 to access it by doing something like:

"@@menu @@rightb @@downb @@downb @@centerb"

Does that make sense?
    I don't have a Treo 600... but I've used one before. I just have a Sony TH-55. Since I don't charge for my apps I don't have a lot of extra money to spend on devices for testing/development use.

The @@co macro will bring up the command toolbar which may be the same shortcut menu you are talking about. But the current implementation won't support navigating the menus with right/down/center etc because key presses (other than the nav keys) will dismiss the menus. So I could add something to bring up the menus but you wouldn't be able to navigate or select any items.

Mark
    Right, Menu "I" is the same as Command Bar "I".

So "@@CO I" would do the same, correct?

I am use to having the command bar button available, but on the Treo600, you don't have it, just the menu button.
    So I use TreoBulter to give the function of Shift+Menu to bring up the command bar, or Shift-hold. Still wish I had that button...
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 07/10/2004 at 01:43 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    Right, Menu "I" is the same as Command Bar "R".

So "@@CO I" would do the same, correct?

I am use to having the command bar button available, but on the Treo600, you don't have it, just the menu button.
    So I use TreoBulter to give the function of Shift+Menu to bring up the command bar, or Shift-hold. Still wish I had that button...
    I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about. The @@co macro should bring up the command toolbar. But I don't have a Treo 600... can you just try it and tell me if it works.

Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by tamura
    I'm not exactly sure what you are talking about. The @@co macro should bring up the command toolbar. But I don't have a Treo 600... can you just try it and tell me if it works.

Mark
    Had a typo..
    Menu "I" is the same as Command Bar "I"
    Since Menu-B is the beam function, as well as Command Bar -B, I made a macro that was named "bb" and assigned this definition "@@co b"
    I went into a memo with text already there, went to the bottom of the text, and typed ".bb".
    THe memo then beamed.
    This is what I was trying to explain, but I think mixing the I and R in my first discription confused everyone.

So since Command Bar-B is the same as Menu-B, and works the same, I assume this is why you said that menu functions can be done with the command bar.

The only hole I see, are menu commands that don't have the command bar "/" in front of them.

Example-
    New Memo is "/N"
    Delete Memo is "/D"
    and Beam Memo is "/B"
    so when you hit the menu button, you get these choices in the MEMO application. Therefore, command bar N will open a New Memo
    Command Bar D will Delete the memo
    and Command bar B will beam the memo (as I tested).

HOWEVER, in the menu, you also have "Send Memo", there is no command bar short cut assigned to it, I think this is what they want?

From the menu, you can Send Memo, from the command bar, you can't.

Thanks for the attention you are giving to this thread, I also pluged it at MyTreo.net on their Forum too. Under Treo Utilities.
    All these terms including menu, command, shortcut, etc. are getting confusing. Mainly because the Treo 600 call these things differently.
    Good question.
    Most people are kinda new to the Palm OS and Palm Pilots and Visors, they migrated over when the Treo series started. So some of this stuff is not very intuitive, due to the main use or way to get to it is now gone, but the die hard Palm OS Heads (like me), still like and use them.

A Little background first, there use to be an area below the screen of a Palm Pilot or Visor (will call it a Handspring Visor form here on out), that was called the silkscreen area. On the silkscreen area, there were two big square areas, with two smaller square areas on each side The big middle squares were for Graffiti, the right for numbers and the left for letters, and then the small pair of sqaures on the right were for calculator and find and the two on the right were for application and menu. (Also, in the right big one, that was for numbers, you cold tap the corner and pull up a Number Keyboard. Same for the left big one, you could tap the corner and pull up an ABC Keyboard)

See it here http://www.newsrover.com/palm.gif

With the migration to smartphone (via Visor Phone See it here and a better shot of the moduel here this would plug into the top and turn your Visor into a phone) the application area (small square area) was replaced with a house icon with the visors (see the above blue Visor Phone) and later a house button with the treo. The Graffiti area is now gone too (that is a whole other sad story, they should have, and could have still had graffiti with the Treo600 and not have to run a scab on, like the wonderful Graffiti Anywhere app)

You have a menu for each application or location. For example, when you go into the application Launcher (fancy name for the palce you end up when you kit the key with the house on it, (it's to the right of the space bar)) you can then hit the menu key (to the right of the application launcher key,( or two over to the right from the space bar)), it will pull up a menu. For example, hit the house key, this will pull up the application launcher, the hit the menu key, this will pull up choices, one of which is "app", "app" will pull up with several choices under it, like Delete, Beam, Send, Category, Info, Copy. Each of those have "key Shortcut", well get to that in a second.

Ok, so we have Graffiti, and with that you could do a special pen stroke with the stylus on the silkscreen that would pull up the command bar, this stroke was a "/" and you would start at the lower left and make the stroke up to the right. If you notice, when you pull the menu up, in the above example, most of the choices had a "/" before them, like "Beam /B". what this meant was you could just do the command bar graffit stroke, followed with a "B" and you could beam. No need to pull up the menu, scroll over and select beam, or no reason to pull up the menu and tap beam. You could just do a simple "/" stroke, followed by a "b" stroke ( "/B" ). This was fast and super easy.

Well with the treo, you lost graffiti (unles you bought a 180g, which didn't catch on for some reason), so they added a Command Bar Key (click here to see) , so you sould hit the command bar key on the treo300, then the "B" button, and it would bea,. Not as fast as the graffiti move, but not bad.

Well for some reason, HS removed the Command Bar key from the Treo600.

An application like TreoButler (now called Buttler) can assgin the Shift+menu key to pull up this command bar area, which will be on the bottom of the screen and have several icons in it you use). THis is the command bar, when it's on the screen, and of the "/" shortcuts work. So the command bar is on the bottom of the screen, it has the "/" on the lower left and the icons on the right of the pop up bar. Even though you don't see other choices, you could do almost any command bar, key shortcut when active)

So now we are on Shortcuts.
    You have Graffiti Shortcuts and Key SHortcuts.
    A key shortcut is like the "/B"
    A Graffiti shortcut is where you have a shortcut defined and use the :shortcut: symbol, via graffiti to use it. With the Visor, you could do this stroke ":shortcut:TS" and it would then write the Time on the screen. With the treo600, they hide the shortcut symbol so far into the keys, it's useless (hit the "S" key, then "ALT" then scroll down 4 times to get it) making it a longcut.
    SO ENTER SHORTCUT5, this make it easy again, you could now use ".TS" and do the same as ":shortcut:TS". with out doing nine key strokes. SHORTCUT5 make sit three, the way it should be IMHO.

So a graffiti shortcut are the ones that you use to have to use the graffiti stroke :shortcut: with.
    A key/command shortcut is one that you use the command bar to use. Either by graffiti "/" or with a command bar key, then the command, like "/B" for beam.

I know you most likely know most of this, but figured better safe then sorry, hence the long post.
    So I may have confused you with my wording, it's hard to get a thought on papre sometimes.
    DO yo have a clearer understanding of
    Menu
    Shortcut (both Graffiti and key)
    Command Bar and such?
    If not, let me know, and I would be happy to expand more.

:shortcut:Matt
    Last edited by Burkhardi; 07/11/2004 at 09:30 AM.
    All these terms including menu, command, shortcut, etc. are getting confusing. Mainly because the Treo 600 call these things differently.
    The treo600 still calls these the same I think, after reading my boring novel, do you still feel that way? If so, expand a little so I can understand what you are driving at.

Hope this is helpful, Matt :shortcut:
    Thanks Matt! I certainly have a clearer understanding of the nomenclatures. I hope this would give Mark a better insight into what we've been trying to get.

I didn't know these cool Palm icons exist - command stroke ( :menu: ) and shortcut ( :shortcut: ). Would have helped explaining myself if I knew about these. So I'll try to rephrase my feature requests.

Menu Macro

On a Treo 600, keypressing the button "menu" would activate the display of the top menu bar (not the bottom command bar), and the user can navigate through the menus with the 5-way nav going up/dn/lt/rt and press the center button to select the item.

The command stroke ( :menu: ) options available really only depend on what the developers have assigned to their software. Most common the :menu: -C would be assigned to "Copy" and :menu: -P assigned as "Paste". Sometimes it is a pity however when some frequently used procedure don't have a :menu: assigned.

There comes the thought of making Shortcut5 more powerful and useful. In DocsToGo for example, say if I want to do a Word Count, I will have to activate the top menu, then click on "Word Count..." under the "File" tab.

If a macro can be done to make this procedure automated, we can have:
    "@@me" - to activate the menu
    "@@dn @@dn @@dn" - navigate downwards (as a 5-way nav key press)
    "@@cn" - 5-way nave centre

This is probably not the greatest example, but allowing the macros of launching apps, activating the menu and the control of 5-way nav would bring great potential to what a power user can do.

--

Form / Insertion Macro
    Another exciting idea that came to my mind is something that would help ease content insertion.

When this macro is activated, a form pops up which lets the user enter some text. Once finished, the user presses "OK", an output combined with the user input would be inserted into the field where the shortcut5 is activated from. You can also consider multiple forms.

I can see this useful in HTML editing or onboard coding. An example:
    Shortcut5 activated with: .ahref
    -> a simple form with a line of text field pops up
    -> user enters "treocentral.com" and presses OK
    -> another form pops up again
    -> user enters "My Favourite Website"
    -> Shortcut5 inserts this string:

<a href="http://treocentral.com">My Favourite Website</a>

I know I am starting to ask for premium features, but this might well be the beginning of Mark's savings for a Treo 600!

:shortcut: Tim
    Last edited by Axolotl; 07/11/2004 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Added a shortcut :)
    One additional thing regarding how menus work... the operating system remembers the last active pulldown menu and menu item. So you can't just active menu, nav down, nav down, nav center and always get the same selection.

I'll think about adding some macros to support selecting menu items for the Treo 600. The macros would like something like @@11, @@12, etc to select a particular menu item if I decide to do this. I just don't like adding device specific features to my apps (especially if I don't have that device).

Mark
    Has anyone gotten the SpeedDial shortcut to work with TakePHone?
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast