Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    GM, Good to know your in the zone!

For the record, I made a DTS shortcut and it works in Memo, as well as Word and excell via DocToGo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Burkhardi
    GM, Good to know your in the zone!

For the record, I made a DTS shortcut and it works in Memo, as well as Word and excell via DocToGo.
    LOL -- Finally. It's both worth it and good to get things to work. So give us all the shortcut you wrote.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    Dang it!

name= ds
    shortcut = @@ds

entering .ds just gives me "@@ds" without quotes.
    memo pad, datebk5, quickword .....
    WHY??!!
    RJuhl
    Quote Originally Posted by rjuhl
    Dang it!

name= ds
    shortcut = @@ds

entering .ds just gives me "@@ds" without quotes.
    memo pad, datebk5, quickword .....
    WHY??!!
    Did you "Enable All" in the program in Preferences?

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    rjuhl --

What is your "preferences" option set to for Shortcut5 (S5)?

To check, press the menu button while in S5....

I use "Enable for app list" so that the .shortcut only affects my typing in apps I want to use the shortcut in. Others might choose "Enable all apps" but I prefer to keep my system as clean as possible...

Assuming you take my approach, next, go to Menu--App List. Then click on the "Add" button and then choose whatever application (one at a time) where you want to be able to use the shortcuts you have defined. I have enabled S5 for my "Memo Pad", "Mail", and "Docs to Go" apps for now.

After that, the Shortcuts should work in whatever apps you have enabled.... If it doesn't work for you now, I'm stumped.
    Are you running the latest version that supports those "macros"?
    GM....
    You have to try this!
    make a shortcut and name it what ever you want, like "CH" (for call home).
    The in the definition area enter this "@@h1 xxxxxxxxxx @@b1" the 10 x's are you home number. If you still have the phone app on the first hardkey, like it came when new, then if you enter ".ch" in memo or what have you, it will call home....
    TOO DARN COOL!!!!!
  8.    #28  
    Whoaa. Awesome, Burk. This is way cool!!

There are so many things we can do with the app:

I use the date stamp to register my patient visits. After I record a date stamp/visit, I have to hit the "done" button to return to the main list. Now, I just added a "@@h3" which returns me to my main list automatically (I have my app assigned to h3).

We can also use this to create endless speed dials!! I have used many of my favorites already. This gives me so many more.
    (By the way, to do this, make sure you have a space between the phone # and the "@@b1").
  9.    #29  
    Ooops. I take it back. There is a limit of 50 shortcuts. Still a great tool though.
    Quote Originally Posted by greenawayj
    rjuhl --

What is your "preferences" option set to for Shortcut5 (S5)?

To check, press the menu button while in S5....

I use "Enable for app list" so that the .shortcut only affects my typing in apps I want to use the shortcut in. Others might choose "Enable all apps" but I prefer to keep my system as clean as possible...

Assuming you take my approach, next, go to Menu--App List. Then click on the "Add" button and then choose whatever application (one at a time) where you want to be able to use the shortcuts you have defined. I have enabled S5 for my "Memo Pad", "Mail", and "Docs to Go" apps for now.

After that, the Shortcuts should work in whatever apps you have enabled.... If it doesn't work for you now, I'm stumped.
    GOT IT! it was an older version. Updated and followed your instructions, and works fine! Thanks for the assist.
    RJuhl
    Are you running the latest version that supports those "macros"?
    RJUHL, It seems only the newest version supports the more complex macros. At least it was something simple
    In regards to the dialing shortcuts, don't you press less keys by (1) pressing hard button one and then (2) hold a letter that represents the phone number you want to dial?

May be I'm not as popular as many of you... I don't feel I need 50 shortcut dials.

But seriously though, I don't find the rest of the built-in macros useful. The author also didn't quite demonstrate the use of it - which makes it fun for us to discover. Keep the practical examples coming!!
  13.    #33  
    Quote Originally Posted by Axolotl
    In regards to the dialing shortcuts, don't you press less keys by (1) pressing hard button one and then (2) hold a letter that represents the phone number you want to dial?

May be I'm not as popular as many of you... I don't feel I need 50 shortcut dials.
    That's a good point, as I have far fewer than 50 speed dials. However, I have several speed dials with the same initial (I can only use "J" once). I also have over 3,000 contacts in my database. Therefore, it is now easy for me to have a few extras. Not a huge help, just a little benefit.
    Hi everyone,

I'm the developer of ShortCut5 (GalenMD directed me to this thread). Please post any question or feature requests you have regarding this app.

Thanks, Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Axolotl

But seriously though, I don't find the rest of the built-in macros useful. The author also didn't quite demonstrate the use of it - which makes it fun for us to discover. Keep the practical examples coming!!
    I'll keep ya posted, I was just tring to show how powerfull Shortcut5 can be.
    I am going to see if I can make it compose an SMS and send it tonight.....
    That should be fun!
    I'll let everyone know
    Quote Originally Posted by tamura
    Hi everyone,

I'm the developer of ShortCut5 (GalenMD directed me to this thread). Please post any question or feature requests you have regarding this app.

Thanks, Mark
    Thanks Mark! and welcome to TreoCentral.
    Nice to see your support here.
    Thanks for the help with the DTS stamp (via email) too!
    Regards, Matt
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Question for Mark:

Why does the shortcut expansion seem to be so slow? Other apps like KeyCaps 600 and Textras perform their substitutions almost instantly, but ShortCut5 displays each character sequentially, and longer shortcuts like @@ds @@ts (for a date/time stamp) seem to take forever. If you continue to type while ShortCut5 is expanding the shortcut, the new characters appear scattered throughout the shortcut.

Otherwise, a great app!
    Quote Originally Posted by tamura
    Hi everyone,

Thanks, Mark
    Hello Tamura and thanks for a great app! It never ceases to amaze me what the Treo can do when you know how to use it. -lol

GM....
    You have to try this!
    make a shortcut and name it what ever you want, like "CH" (for call home).
    The in the definition area enter this "@@h1 xxxxxxxxxx @@b1" the 10 x's are you home number. If you still have the phone app on the first hardkey, like it came when new, then if you enter ".ch" in memo or what have you, it will call home....
    TOO DARN COOL!!!!!
    Oops, missed this one. (planning a party this weekend). Where do you dial this Shortcut from? I tried it from WordSmith and it kicked me over to the phone section, but did not dial it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mathguru
    Question for Mark:

Why does the shortcut expansion seem to be so slow? Other apps like KeyCaps 600 and Textras perform their substitutions almost instantly, but ShortCut5 displays each character sequentially, and longer shortcuts like @@ds @@ts (for a date/time stamp) seem to take forever. If you continue to type while ShortCut5 is expanding the shortcut, the new characters appear scattered throughout the shortcut.

Otherwise, a great app!
    PalmOS based upon an event driven model. An event (key press, pen down, pen move, etc.) occurs and the application does something with it (or the application could also ignore them). There is an internal queue used to store events that are waiting for the application to get them.

When a system shortcut (not ShortCut5) is expanded, it places all the new characters in the queue as keydown events. But the queue is limited in size. This is why system shortcuts are very small (typically about 45 character at most).

I believe that Textras does something totally different (I'm just guessing here since I don't have access to their source code). Textras modifies the internal data structures to insert the characters into a PalmOS text field. This is why the update is quick. The downside is that not all apps uses PalmOS text fields. Some apps like Docs to Go or WordSmith implement their own custom version of text fields (instead of using the ones provided by the operation system). In this case Textras won't work (since it does not know the internal data structures these apps are using).

ShortCut5 takes the approach like how the system shortcuts work. But instead of placing all the new characters in the queue, it only puts a character in after one has been taken out. This is to not overflow the queue. This is why the update is slow. The upside is that this method should work in virtually all apps.

Mark
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast