Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    So I've decided I want to try using my treo for in-car navigation, but after trying Mapopolis' trial out, I'm not so excited anymore.

There are a few usability problems I have with the software that I see preventing me from really getting excited about integrating it to my day-to-day usage.

1. Why isn't it capable of reading maps of of the card? This seems silly to me. I live in Los Angeles, and the area map is 15mb alone! with only 24mb available, how can I have anything but the nav software on here? This is a deal-breaker.

2. Why doesn't it integrate with the address book? I don't know all the addresses I have to go to, that's why I have the treo, now why is it that I have to go to the address book, copy the address, then go back to mapopolis, reload maps, then paste the address, this seems stupid. And IDing repeat destinations by address alone is stupid too, that doesn't help me. IDing favorites by address book name, now that would be better. By the time I can remember the address, I don't need the stupid navigation anymore.

Is anyone using better software? From the screenshots, it seems navman's software would be better, but they have no intentions of supporting the treo b/c of its low-res screen. TravRoute doesn't make a palm version of their software, and Google hasn't been very helpful.

Any recommendations would be welcomed, in addition to things I'm missing about the Mapopolis software. I should mention I live in North America, Los Angeles more specifically, so the software has to have maps for the area.

Thanks.

PS, if I suck it up and buy the mapopolis bundle, does it come with maps? or do I have to pay $10 a pop for them?
    Quote Originally Posted by Crashless
    1. Why isn't it capable of reading maps of of the card? This seems silly to me. I live in Los Angeles, and the area map is 15mb alone! with only 24mb available, how can I have anything but the nav software on here? This is a deal-breaker.
    Try MSMount. It makes a directory on your SD card appear in RAM. Works great. (just be careful not to load to many maps otherwise mapopolis will crash)

2. Why doesn't it integrate with the address book? I don't know all the addresses I have to go to, that's why I have the treo, now why is it that I have to go to the address book, copy the address, then go back to mapopolis, reload maps, then paste the address, this seems stupid. And IDing repeat destinations by address alone is stupid too, that doesn't help me. IDing favorites by address book name, now that would be better. By the time I can remember the address, I don't need the stupid navigation anymore.
    What version of mapopolis are you using? WHen using find, if you check the box that says Addr Book you can type a contacts name and then the address appears and then choose select. It doesn't get much simpler than that. Also if you have the new Agendus 8 while viewing a contact there is a button that opens mapoplis to the location of that contact.

PS, if I suck it up and buy the mapopolis bundle, does it come with maps? or do I have to pay $10 a pop for them?
    It should come with a CD that has the whole United States and maybe parts of Canada.

digidep
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Brilliant. I really need to RTFM. I had 'address' checked, then would type something, then click 'address book' and it got all f'd up. checkin address book beforehand makes a lot more sense, and works great.

How many maps can you load with MSMount? Is it limited by number, or by size? This would satisfy all my problems, thanks so much.

Now if it could integrate with sigalert.com and auto-route me around traffic, that would be heaven!

is that in the manual too?
    Quote Originally Posted by digidep
    Try MSMount.
    Hmm, according to PalmGear MSMount doesn't work with OS 5 devices. Have you used it on the treo 600?

-Mike
    Have you used it on the treo 600?
    Never mind, just found the author's page with the OS 5 beta...

http://www.geocities.com/nagamatu/MSMount5/index-e.htm

-Mike
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    I've been messing with MSMount for OS5 for a while now with mapopolis and it _kind of_ works. It is EXTREMELY unstable - lot of "Insufficient Storage Heap" errors, then my touchscreen goes dead.

Have you overcome these problems? Or am I just screwed living in LA? (please try to refrain from the jokes...)
    It's only a beta version, but it works just fine on my Treo 600. Go directly to their site and download the latest beta, and it reads the maps off my SD card.

Unfortunately, having the GPS shows up the real shortcomings in Mapopolis that drive me nuts. My friend lives 2 miles away from me, but it's across the county line. No easy way to be at one address on one map and find his address 2 miles away without a lot of steps in between. Sigh. This thing where I have to know the COUNTY where everything is is kinda nutty. Why can't it just work off of indexes like any of the other public software? One index file could just contain street names/city names/lat/lon and look up in the appropriate map once it finds the match.

To bring back up the original point of the thread, is there any other software that works better and supports GPS?
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Hmm, I wonder if I'm doing something wrong with my setup then. It just doesn't like loading maps off the card. In fact, no programs like running under it. I can't fool any programs by putting them in the MSMount folder, they all crash. How big are your maps? all mine are 2mb+, even the partial ones. Congested area, southern california is...I'll reinstall/reset & retry.

Doug, thanks for restating the question, as the focus has been mapopolis, I forgot completely that I wanted an alternative. Is there? I can't find anything anywhere that is Treo compatible. All the really cool software out there requires a high-res screen and bluetooth...damnit, we dont' have that do we...

Anyone using something else?
    Crashless, I don't use MSMount.

I just got the latest beta from Mapopolis.com and it works just fine with the SD card. (You have to scroll down to the beta of 2.01, rather than the current release - the beta is what supports the SD cards natively).
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Yeah, found that yesterday, didn't post here, but on the mapopolis thread in the general forumhere