Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #61  
    Hey .... not trying to discourage anyone from writing their own guide, and as stated many times throughout the discussion, there are some slight issues in the guide that I posted (which I didn't write but have used very successfully.) As far as it not being complete ... I am unware of any steps missing. The only issue is with concerns to Audio settings in the last step. I am not some wizard at converting DVD movies and I followed it step-by-step with no confusion. Becuase of the formating of the PDF, I would prbably use the website first, I provided the PDF in case the website was ever to go offline.

The reason I was sort of thrown off by your last remarks last night was becuase of the way you all joined into the conversation .... it just seemed that you didn't reference any of what was being discussed before you joined (as if you restaring the conversation) ... I wasn't trying to be negative or attacking in nature in any way .....ANYWAY .... Back to DVD movies on the TREO; isn't it AMAZING?

Again I showed it to another client of mine who owns a Blackberry and he was trully amazed.
    Last edited by treogables; 07/21/2004 at 08:53 AM.
    I gave up using the guide already posted. too many inaccuracies that made it so frustrating.
    I thought the first guide was great. Hell, the hardest part was installing the apps on my laptop! And I'm no techie..............
    Treogables and others who have used his method successfully,

I've been working on using the guide for a while - soo close, but a few bugs to work out!

MMplayer errors
    1) I've used 16000HZ for audio and I get the MMplayer errot "the audio track of the file is encoded using non-standard sampling rate..." and I have to click "Yes".

Is this normal? What is the standard rate? What rates did you use?
    I did 16000HZ and 24kbs mono. I also tried 96kbs and 48kbs, but the Treo seemed bogged down and couldn't play both the video and audio, so I went smaller given instructions on mmplayer.com

2) "The video resolution is much larger than the screen size and this device can't decode in realtime. Please reencode the video wih a laower video resolution."

I did a filter in Video dub to reduce to 160x120. I also tried the method of going to 320x240 and then 2:1 reduction, but that produced the same error.

3) After I click through these errors it plays great, but the sound is too soft and fuzzy can hardly hear it through the speaker turned all the way up and held up to my ear!

4) Finally I get "The video bitrate is too high and this device dan't decode inreal time." I set the bit rate to 24kbs on the DiVX 5.2 on a slider bar - but it was called "average bit rate" so maybe that's a problem. But just noticed I used the Handheld wizzard rather than the home theater setup. maybe that's a problem?

I'm soo close, can someone give me a tip on any of my items, I'd appreciate it... after trying it >5 times.

PS the pocketdivxencoder turned my movie into a 13 hour audio file.
    Last edited by hansbuehler; 07/27/2004 at 04:42 PM. Reason: proof reading
    Some comments based on the one video I recorded:

1. Not sure what the standard rate(s) are, but you can disable this warning message if you install the MMPlayer patch to version 0.2.12 available at: http://mmplayer.com/MMPlayer0.2.12p2.zip

Check this thread as well to ensure you disable the warning properly, to avoid soft-resets:
    http://www.mmplayer.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1320

I chose the 24000Hz Mono 24kBit/s option for the MPEG Layer-3 codec (Lame didn't work for me no matter what I chose) and the sound seemed fine for what I was using and reduces the overall file size.

2. Did you use the resize filter and set it to 640x480, then add two 2:1 reduction (high quality) to get you to 160x120?

3. Volume on mine does seem a little low but haven't played too much with the volume settings in MMPlayer.

4. You use the Home Theater profile for the initial conversion using FlaskMPEG, but then use the Handheld profile when doing the conversion in Virtualdub

Hope that helps...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    What is the bottom line here, on software to create the movie files? Anything freeware to do this?
    Yes, but it takes a little more effort. See the first post as well as other comments in the thread.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    I use pocketdivxencoder ....after much trial and error..finally came up with settings for treo 600 that work well. I had same prob as u with lockup when I used to high a framerate for what my device could handle taking bitrate and aud int consideration. run mmplayer benchmark to see what fps you can run with what bitrate and picture size u are using. I found that using level 8 (192kbs) aud level 1 (22050 @24kbs mono) using xvid codec and lame mp3...2 pass, 15fps..increase volume by 50 percent & use B frames (160*120 for treo) I get best quality ever achieved on my treo, in only about 20min to encode....and make sure your run your encoded file through the a/v resynch after the encode to get final perf synched movie...works awesome!!!
    20 min to encode with pocketdivxencoder, once dvd is ripped & converted to xvid avi...and yes...it is all free software.. I refuse to again use divx codecs (u can use xvid with pocketdivxencoder) as it comes with ad and spyware which really screwed up my computer...besides..xvid gives better quality vid with same mb size.
  10.    #70  
    I get both errors for everything I have converted but everthing plays back just fine ... audio included .. although need to use headphones. I can turn up the audio/amp in mmplayer, but I don't want to blow my little speaker.

Showed 3 more clients the movies and all of them were amazed at the quality.
    I converted using the long method from the link on the first post in this thread. Spent hours messing around with settings (had the same audio problem as others have suggested and used the same solution).

I get the files to play on my Treo on MMPlayer, they look pretty good... but it totally locks up about 20 minutes into a movie??? Anyone else run into this? It happens whether I watch the first ~20 mins of fast forward through it using the slide. I'm stumped.
    Pocketdivxencoder works great. I don't have the same beef with DivX as others do (it encodes faster, and the quality difference is negligible)... nice to watch movies or TV shows when you just need to kill time.
  13.    #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by nonstop
    I converted using the long method from the link on the first post in this thread. Spent hours messing around with settings (had the same audio problem as others have suggested and used the same solution).

I get the files to play on my Treo on MMPlayer, they look pretty good... but it totally locks up about 20 minutes into a movie??? Anyone else run into this? It happens whether I watch the first ~20 mins of fast forward through it using the slide. I'm stumped.
    Perhaps this is an issue with the way MMPlayer is setup. Do you have the latest version? I also changed the Buffer settings in the program to allow more memory to be dedicated to the video/audio. Have you tested watching the whole movie on the computer? There is often a small delay when jumping around using the slider .. and then it takes a few seconds for it to catch up and sync audio and video again ... this is most likey due to the resources available .. and a slower processor.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Need some assistance...

I converted a movie using PocketDivx Encoder. I put the movie onto my SD card using a card reader. Here are my questions:

1. I'm using MM Player on my Treo 600. However, it does not "see" the movie on the card. Does the movie have to be in a specific directory?

2. Thinking this might be the case, I tried to delete the movie so I could add it back to my card and I get a message telling me that I can't delete it as it is in use by another application. Any way around this without a format?

Thanks.
    do a soft reset, then try to delete it. shouldn't have prob finding mov on card.. I put mine in movie folder I created... how did u transfer it to card? USE A CARD READER! BTW...if u use the encode settings I posted earlier, u won't get mmplayer warnings...like I said..u can't beat those encode settings...ive tried..its good and the best u can do with treo 600.
    or...even better...d
    oops...
    even better..use computer & card reader to delete that file.
    hi all,

read the description of the long version and decided to try earlier this week. first problems arouse when virtualdub would not work because of problems with audio (?). well, took pocketdivxencoder instead and finally succeeded in producing a 177 mb .avi-version from 'others'. copied file on 512 mb sd-card and moved it to my treo 600. started mmplayer and watched wonderful 45 seconds of the movie. then the screen turned into black and after another 10 seconds, the movie started fro its beginning again (which, after the third time gets a bit boring). sometimes it des not restart the movie but freezes the handheld.

any good tipps or ideas from all axperts in here??
    thanks and fine regards from good old switzerland,
    matti.
    matti, post your encode settings..did u use the ones I recommended, if not try them. either bad encode, file, or you don't have enough buffer set, or free mem on treo. also, u may have an app burning up mem (alarms, email checker etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by matti
    hi all,

read the description of the long version and decided to try earlier this week. first problems arouse when virtualdub would not work because of problems with audio (?). well, took pocketdivxencoder instead and finally succeeded in producing a 177 mb .avi-version from 'others'. copied file on 512 mb sd-card and moved it to my treo 600. started mmplayer and watched wonderful 45 seconds of the movie. then the screen turned into black and after another 10 seconds, the movie started fro its beginning again (which, after the third time gets a bit boring). sometimes it des not restart the movie but freezes the handheld.

any good tipps or ideas from all axperts in here??
    thanks and fine regards from good old switzerland,
    matti.

Well, I'm sure this doesn't help much, but the same thing happened to me, and I found that if I scan past the trouble spot, the rest of the movie will play fine -- keep in mind that this was just with an 11 minute file, though.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast