Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    okay, answered my own question by spending most of today playing with it!
    now, if only it had worked.....
    I went through the entire set of directions and at the very end, I went to "save as avi" and the following error message appeared: error initializing audio stream compression: the requested conversion is not possible."
    Now, I followed the directions exactly, and even redid it, with the same error. Could anyone help? I hate that I got this far in order to fail.
    someone............thanks for saving my weekend!!
    Last edited by ido; 07/17/2004 at 04:49 PM. Reason: adding title
  2.    #42  
    OK ... I have encountered this issue before, and while it has been week or two since I last converted anything (and I have only done 4 movies to date) I believe the way I work around this issue, which I did encounter twice, was to either switch the codec between the Lame and the regular mpeg3 (or something like that) and/or I also played around choosing different bit-rate settings for the audio. I usually chose the very low ones (2k)/non-stereo to make the fully converted movie only about 120Mb. I find that the audio is just fine especially when simply listening on earphones. Itís not like I am going to play the movie through my home entertainment center 
  3.    #43  
    The Video Quality of the Long Method far surpasses that of pocket-DVD (at least with my first few initial conversions.) While the pocket-DVD is blocky and/ or fuzzy at times, the "Long Method" of conversion has little to no blockiness or breakup of image quality. In Fact .. in the numerous times that I have shown a few movies or clips to a large group of friends, family, or associates they amazed at the quality of image and on the surface level can not tell that there was any degradation of video quality (if any at all from the original DVD.) The only thing that they or I can really tell from looking at it is that it is playing on a very small screen.

Now .. I share this with all of you not to start a debate as to which method is better as I said before, each one has its advantages and as we have also seen the long method has a few bumps in the road that one has to deal with. Do was need perfect video quality on the phone? I think itís amazing enough that we can do this to begin with and if someone wants to simply have a few converted tv shows or something to pass the time, then they donít really need to get into doing the long method. The main reason for me sharing this info with those interested is because I think it is possible to get fantastic video quality on the TREO for those who have the interest in taking the extra time and steps in creating the movie conversions.

As a side note: I will state for the record that I haven't played around in depth with the pocket-DVD program and perhaps there are ways to improve quality (will most average users even look further into this possibility? not sure.) The choices and options given to a user in the long method however allow for one to have much more control over the final product with concerns to size vs. quality.
    with regard to "the requested conversion is not possible." - i got the same thing - i just picked one of the basic conversion rates and not the one that was recommended by the author and it worked okay...
    What is the file size for a 2 hour movie using the long method (using the settings that resulted in much better quality than Pocket-DVD)?

Basically, what I'm asking... Are the file sizes smaller on the lesser quality Pocket-DVD videos versus the higher quality 'long method' videos?

Thanks!
    Okay, changed the audio conversion rate (closed my eyes and threw a dart!) and it worked fine.
    Video quality: It does seem better. Clearer with less of the blurry background and stuff (technical, huh?!)
    Time to convert: forever!! partially out of ignorance; quicker second time, still, obviously, slower than pocketDVD
    File size: pretty much the same; maybe a tad more. Using the long version, I converted a 90 minute movie (as most are) and it's about 96mb. Using pocketDVD my movies range from 87 to 100.
    Bottom line, when I have the time, I prefer the additional time for the additional quality. For fastfood movies, pocketDVD suffices.
    P.S. Thanks to treogables for an extraordinarily clear and idiotproof set of directions!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by treogables
    MMPLAYER just released versioon 0.2.12 which addresses several issues with concerns to the TREO 600
    Is it normal for MMplayer to take about 7 seconds to load from the launcher? I assume it has to do with other stuff running in the background as well as memory left on my Treo?
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Mine does that too. But what would be running in the background?? And, I have plenty of memory left when this happens.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I tried the Pocket DVD/MMPlayer combination and it works! I'm not usually impressed by software, but I have to say that being able to watch a DVD on my Treo is incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by ido
    Mine does that too. But what would be running in the background?? And, I have plenty of memory left when this happens.
    lightwav, butler, etc. I would guess...
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  11.    #51  
    I appreciate the nice gesture of thanks but I can't take the credit for the instructions I posted ... I did a few hours of research one night and those seemed to be the best set of instructions I found. I did create the adobe copy in case the site ever went down. Except for the Audio glitches, they are very simple and straight forward.
    Not sure if everyone realizes this, but you don't NEED to use PocketDVD or put up with its limitations (i.e., purchasing it).

If there is an interest, I can write a quick guide on how to rip a DVD (or any .avi/.mpg) into a Treo-compatible format. Using all freeware-based programs.

Lemme know.

-BeaGLe.
    Treo 300 (x2), 600 (x3), 650 (x6), 700p (ROM'd to 755p)
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    Sprint, 750 AT, Unl N/W @ 7pm, Unl Roaming/Power Vision/Pix/Txt/M2M, $46/mo.
    Lost Your Treo 300/600/650/680/700/750 CD? Download them here.
    Global Posts
    170 Global Posts
    A quick guide on how to rip a DVD (or any .avi/.mpg) into a Treo-compatible format. Using all freeware-based programs?
    Absolutely an interest here!
    Okay. It's not easy for the beginner and requires more than one program to do it, but I'll write something and post it here momentarily.

B
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    BOY are u guys way behind..all u have discussed is old news..a ton of threads, guides etc on this...u need to research better. 1st.drop divx..go for xvid. study the mmplayer site and doom9 site. go get "pocketdivxencoder" (instead of virtdub and a lot quicker and its free) it does xvid too and simplifies conv..u use your decrypted xvid avi from flaskmpeg . if you need help with it let me know.. but its all out there....
    Yeah, none of this is new news. And my guide would use XViD - DiVX is the suck.

www.videohelp.com and www.doom9.org already have these guides out there, if you can sift through 'em. It'd save me some time, that's for sure.

B
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
  17.    #57  
    Ummm .... take a second to look at the FIRST post of this thread! The guide you all are talking about is already written and uses all FREE programs. Save yourself some time, you can download the PDF file or go straight to the website.

:-)
  18.    #58  
    Is it just me or were these last several post so out in left field???? Does anyone take time to actually read before they reply ... this whole thread is basically a discussion between both methods (the long free method and pocket-DVD) and the instructions for the free method are posted in the first part of this thread.

I know we live in a Sound-Byte society, but it doesn't take more than a few minutes to actually comprehend and follow along in the discussion. Oh well ....

Anyway .. I hope our two most recent guest to this discussion find the instruction guide I posted helpful. Have a good night.
    I read that guide and it isn't very complete. There are a lot of steps and parts missing that could really hang some people up if they're new.

B
    My Custom Black-Tie 700p
    theleetbeagle,
    Don't let anyone discourage you from writing your own guide. There is plenty of room and need for alternate methods for transferring DVDs to the Treo.
    Zane
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast