Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    I use PocketDVD and Dr. DivX, PocketDVD is great for whole DVD's with TV, I edit, remove commercials, and DivX encode the movie. You can of course DivX the movie after it has been ripped. Either way, properly encoded movies are really quite useable.
    DivX movies are a LOT better than Kinoma movies. First thing, Kinoma uses Cinepak, a technology that's over a decade old. While Kinoma is great, making a high quality video takes up a lot of space, and there's no option to make one that takes little space. Also Kinoma's audio codec is basically a WAV file. I made a good Treo quality DivX video, 2 hours long, in 129MB (80kbps ABR video, 64kbps audio). 320x228 (for hi-res) would take up around 240MB (160kbps ABR video, 96kbps audio.). To make a good quality video would make my video files 144MB for Treo (absolute lowest video setting of 160kbps) and 500 MB for Hi-Res (560kbps). Plus the sound quality on the Kinoma will never compare to the MP3 quality sound in the DivX videos. It's like the difference between VHS (Kinoma) and DVD (DivX).
  3.    #23  
    I had this happen when using the lame codec .. which surprised me b/c I usually use that for encoding mp3s and have no issues ... with much better quality. I am not in front of my computer right now, but when I have the chance I will recheck which codec I used for audio and post the settings on this thread. Also ... you might want to check the comments about fixing audio on the treo. I have a new treo with the newest firmware and such, and didn't need to use the fix as referenced in the instructions. I don't know if this could cause anything. For the record, when the audio was screwed up on my first several tries using the lame codec, it was screwed up when previewing on my computer, before I even put it on the phone. Now that everthing works, it works on the PC and the phone.
    Anyone who has encoded entire movies onto their SD cards.. How long will a fully-charged battery last when viewing videos?
    Treogables, thanks for the ideas. I also have upgraded my Treo. I actually did the Crow upgrade and then the official upgrade after that. When previewing on my computer, it does sound ok, just when I move to the Treo.

I'm trying PocketDVD but it seems to stop recording after about 10 minutes. Is that because I'm using the trial? This does seem to be an excellent option. In combination with DIVX it seems to make nice small files....of course, 10 minutes is a little *too* small <g>.
    1. I tried pocketDVD but the UI is not intuitive to me. I was trying to get our kid-favorite Baby Bach into the Treo600. I couldn't get it to convert the "meat" of the video, it just gave me a few seconds still frame of one of the menu screens. I tried to play with the 2 drop-downs on the right, to adjust the title/chapter, but all with the same result.

2. What version of mmplayer do I need (or other application) in order to playback on t600? Seems like neither mmplayer release version nor beta version played the lousy output I got from pDVD.
    I found that you need to play the dvd on your computer with whatever software dvd player you have and then pause it. If I don't do this, I'll get a couple of seconds of video after which it will just stay on the same image. I think playing the dvd "opens" it or something of that nature (it talks about it in the help section).

BTW, you need the beta MMPlayer to playback any sort of video. From http://www.mmplayer.com/download.php:

"You can download the latest stable version (v0.1.0) of MMPlayer here.
    Only 78KB! Number of downloads so far : (-updated every hour-)
    Please note that this version is limited : It can only play audio and you can only have up to ten tracks in your playlist.
    See the FAQ for details.

Please also try out our latest experimental release (v0.2.11) of MMPlayer featuring advanced video playback here (906KB) and report any bugs you may find on our forum.
    This experimental release supports MPEG-1,2,4, H263, DivX, MJPeg video codecs. Read the README file in the distribution for a complete list."
  8.    #28  
    MMPLAYER just released versioon 0.2.12 which addresses several issues with concerns to the TREO 600
    Thanks to all.

Last night I ripped LOTR Return of the King into a file. I watched it tonight on the train ride home from work.

The quality is what you'd expect: it's low-res, but watchable. There is some banding in the skies because of the lack of available colors, but all-in-all the picture is fine enough to enjoy previously viewed movies.

Between phone functions, MP3s, games, DVDs, a camera, and GPS duties, one has to wonder what the Treo *can't* do.

Of course, the only added barometer is quality. I'm sure it will be amazing what similar phones can do in 10 years.
    Can anyone tell me how to get a full size screen, minus the MMPlayer tabs at the top and buttons at the bottom?
    Cancel that question guys. Figured it out.
    MMPlayer is very choppy when playing MIDI files and that somehow fustrates me when video playback is smoother. This is still the case even after a soft reset with "up" button pressed. Can I confirm if it's the same for other Treo users?
  13.    #33  
    pocketDVD unregistered will only allow for up to 10 mins of video conversion until it is purchased. In a side-by-side comparison to the quality of video produced using the method posted at the start of the thread, I beleive that the longer method, not using pocketDVD produces a better quality video resolution.
    MMPlayer 0.2.12 seems to be more than 700KB! Is this for real? Heck, with all the PDB's that shoudl be loaded it adds up to more than one meg.

See for yourself at http://www.mmplayer.com/MMPlayer0.2.12.zip.
    Quote Originally Posted by treogables
    pocketDVD unregistered will only allow for up to 10 mins of video conversion until it is purchased. In a side-by-side comparison to the quality of video produced using the method posted at the start of the thread, I beleive that the longer method, not using pocketDVD produces a better quality video resolution.
    Thanks! That's what I thought but it's nice to have it confirmed. As for the quality....since anything on the Treo is marginal, at best, as long as it's watchable and unless it's dramatically better, I'd probably defer to the easier method. You would say it's DRAMATICALLY better or did you have to really look hard to see the difference? (I suspect somewhere in the middle.....).

thx
  16.    #36  
    I need to check on the TREO and will try to do so tomorrow ... but on the computer when looking at both videos ... the PocketDVD version looks very blocky and fuzzy at times where the other method looks much sharper and a lot less blocky.

I did notice that the PocketDVD is 160x72 and the other version I created using the long method was 160x120. Again ... looking on my PC the difference in quality is very noticable favoring the longer method.

While I can't speak for others ... the movies that I converted truly look just fine on the TREO (almost TV quality .. just small)

I guess it truly comes down to both preference and convience. I will say that once you setup the long version, it becomes very easy to convert the DVDs (although it still takes time). One Hint: If you follow the instructions after you get past the first couple of steps, you are left with a full size AVI from the DVD. Check the quality as well as the Soundtrack to make sure it stays consistant. I ran into a problem where the soundtrack switched in the middle of the DVD to the Commentary that is sometimes included on DVD (this was on a TV show/season disk). ONce you have a good AVI at full size, you can play around in the resizing until you get a version that is both acceptable in quality as well as being just the right size.
    Last edited by treogables; 07/14/2004 at 10:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by TreoScott
    Between phone functions, MP3s, games, DVDs, a camera, and GPS duties, one has to wonder what the Treo *can't* do.
    Not to mention streaming audio support, video and audio recording in addition to all the regular, mundane calendar/todo/note-taking and the thousands of other available apps.

It truly is an amazing device.
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    Not to mention streaming audio support, video and audio recording in addition to all the regular, mundane calendar/todo/note-taking and the thousands of other available apps.

It truly is an amazing device.

I also tried the POCKETDVD. It's not that bad considering there was no way I was trying to go through the trouble of doing the LONG way. I have some simpsons episodes on my treo and it really looks pretty good. I mean, it's not like a portable DVD but it's AMAZING for a phone/PDA/computer/..............etc (TREO 600)
    pleaes post the settings you used for the pocketdvd method
    visor deluxe->clie n760->treo 300->treo 600->treo 650 -> treo 700p -> treo 755p
    treogables, how long should it take to do a regular sized movie?
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast