1.    #1  
    Just took a trip to Austin Texas ... first time on Airplane with Treo600. Just wanted to report that on the 4 flights it took to get there and back, I had no issues with using my Treo on the airplane. The only time I was even asked anything was on the last flight back from Dallas, where at two different times (and two different flight attendants) I was asked if it was in Airplane/Hospital mode and/or if the wireless mode was turned off. Once I answered in the affirmative, I was left alone for the rest of the flight. I thought I would also point out that in the back of their in-flight magazine, which list approved and non-approved devices... it states

... " your flight attendant will tell you when you may use portable electronic devices, such as cellphone/PDA/two-way pager combinations using only PDA functions, and only if the flight attendant can verify that transmitting capabilities are turned off."

As a side note: On this last flight, I was in the midst of watching a movie on my phone when the person behind me (in awe of this capability) tapped me on the shoulder to ask how I had accomplished this feat as he too owned a Treo 600 which he had in his hand at the time.
    Being in Atlanta I usually have to fly Delta or Airtran if I want a direct flight anywhere. I've never had a problem on either airline.

I wish I could fly American for that extra 2 inches of leg room .
    I have had flight attendants on ATA and Northwest tell me I couldn't use my Treo 600 at ALL, even with the wireless mode turned off. This wasn't enforced consistently on all flights so I didn't get the feeling it was a policy yet.
    Yeah, I noticed that with American too. Must be a fairly recent policy change. As an added bonus, they also let you use your cell phone while the plane is taxiing to the gate (after it lands). This might be true for other airlines as well, though...
    Airtran always mentions that you can use your cellphone right after the plane lands.

Maybe they are starting to learn that the cellphones don't affect anything ?
    I travel American a lot and have no issues with them regarding use of the Treo.
    Flew SouthWest last week. For the first time, the Spiel from the flight attendent included, "PDA's that can be used as a cell phone must remain off, including game mode and data entry." Guy with a bluetooth argued, but lost. I kept my mouth shut, and my Treo, wireless mode off, in my pocket.
    How can composing email, etc. be a problem, if wireless mode is off??
    Bob
    They are just imposing the rules to be overly cautious. Also, I think they prefer that people remain as still as possible during take-off and landings just in case something does not go right. You don't want someone popping themselves in the head with their PDA while trying to play a game during take-off . Maybe that is a concern and they feel hitting yourself in the head with a book would be safer .

Anyway, a few minutes without playing a game or using the PDA is not an unfair request. They allow use during most of the flight.
    Quote Originally Posted by treogables
    As a side note: On this last flight, I was in the midst of watching a movie on my phone when the person behind me (in awe of this capability) tapped me on the shoulder to ask how I had accomplished this feat as he too owned a Treo 600 which he had in his hand at the time.
    Wait! I can watch movies on my T600? How do I accomplish this feat?
    I was not complaining about the take-off and landing times. They told the guy he could not use it at all, ever - during the entire flight. So how can someone with a wifi enabled laptop compose email to be sent later, but we can't do the same, with wireless mode turned off?
    Bob
    You're 100% right and it's BS, but arguing with a flight attendant is like arguing with a brick wall. And unfortunately the law is that you have to follow their orders while on the plane.

Try to avoid attracting attention to your Treo by keeping it low in your lap and/or keeping the antenna portion of the Treo hidden under the tray table or a blanket or something. I've been doing this recently and it has worked so far.
    I wanna watch movies too... How do you do it?
    Quote Originally Posted by treogables
    Just took a trip to Austin Texas ... first time on Airplane with Treo600. Just wanted to report that on the 4 flights it took to get there and back, I had no issues with using my Treo on the airplane. The only time I was even asked anything was on the last flight back from Dallas, where at two different times (and two different flight attendants) I was asked if it was in Airplane/Hospital mode and/or if the wireless mode was turned off. Once I answered in the affirmative, I was left alone for the rest of the flight. I thought I would also point out that in the back of their in-flight magazine, which list approved and non-approved devices... it states

... " your flight attendant will tell you when you may use portable electronic devices, such as cellphone/PDA/two-way pager combinations using only PDA functions, and only if the flight attendant can verify that transmitting capabilities are turned off."

So what program do you watch movies on?
    Airlines: Delta/Delta Connection (Comair) - PDA friendly, once asked if wireless off but otherwise never hassled. In fact flight attendants sometimes ask (nicely) what I am doing, as I have keyboard (wireless) and headphones attached.

For movies try Kinoma or MMPlayer (do search in forum for numerous threads)
    Quote Originally Posted by magicman
    For movies try Kinoma or MMPlayer (do search in forum for numerous threads)
    Would someone be so kind to add explicit instructions in a FAQ? I'm sure it would be appreciated by everyone here.
    I searched on "watch movie" to find this one (which is the MASTER):

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=watch+movie

When you've created your .avi file you can try viewing it natively through MMPlayer (that works for some folks, not for others - not for me ), or you can use Kinoma Producer to convert it to Kinoma format (I'm going to try that out at some point...)
    Quote Originally Posted by rcowperthwaite
    I was not complaining about the take-off and landing times. They told the guy he could not use it at all, ever - during the entire flight. So how can someone with a wifi enabled laptop compose email to be sent later, but we can't do the same, with wireless mode turned off?
    Oh, then that was just an air crew that was not very bright.

Or maybe they had some info on a potential threat from someone using a PDA? I don't know. That does not make sense. Most flight crews don't mind.