1.    #1  
    With all this talk of the Treo Ace, I was finally feeling good about that PSP that I purchased from Best Buy when I bought my 600 at Christmas time. However, based on the problems that I was having with my 600 at the time, I took it into a SPCS store for testing, and of course, it failed (I've never seen anyone's phone ever 'Pass' the testing they do...). So, I took it into Best Buy to replace. The people at customer service were great, taking a look at the 'Failed Testing' slip from SPCS, and said, "Go get another one." Unfortuately, the Cell Phone department was out of stock... They checked the computer, and don't have an arrival date for any new phones, nor for any of the Best Buys in the area.

Now, I thought I'd heard a rumor that everywhere was out of stock, but pretty much ignored it b/c I wasn't planning on buying a second phone anytime soon. I guess I should have paid better attention.

The funny thing is, the guy reached down to grab a i500... I saw what he was doing before he was able to turn around, and just started laughing. He pretty much got my drift. I mentioned the rumors of the Ace, and said that I guess I'll just have to deal with the connectivity problems I'd been having (not too bad, but in a perfect world I'd replace it, but I can live with it for now).

I can make it to October if that's the true case for the Ace (likely a Christmas release IMHO, if at all this year), but either way, I've got it already paid for, with my BB PSP and "Failed Testing" slip stapled together, and sitting in the glove compartment of my car.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dorv
    However, based on the problems that I was having with my 600 at the time, I took it into a SPCS store for testing, and of course, it failed (I've never seen anyone's phone ever 'Pass' the testing they do...). So, I took it into Best Buy to replace. The people at customer service were great, taking a look at the 'Failed Testing' slip from SPCS, and said, "Go get another one."
    I never knew SPCS had a series of tests they could run and give you a slip to verify your Treo is defective. So do I just walk into my local SPCS store, tell them I think my Treo has problems and I want the tests run? Then they run them and give me a results sheet?

Do you know what kinds of tests they run?

Any other details you can offer would be appreciated .

I also have best Best Buy's replacement plan and my ESN is in the range of those with problems. I've been having various problems. Like you I'm waiting for the Treo Ace.
  3.    #3  
    Just like any SPCS phone, you take it into a SPCS retail store, you take the phone in to be checked out if you are having problems with it. There are a battery of tests that they run, and while I don't know exactally what they are (in general or with the Treo specifically), but I know that I have phones fail testing for a variety of reasons over the last six (or whatever) years. Everything from battery holding a charge, to connectivity problems, to plain inoperability.

As far as the BB PSP goes, I took my Treo in with another problem the other day (which the BB guys helped me out with), and they indicated that anytime there is a problem with the phone that they can't reproduce, that they will pretty much replace it if SPCS confirm that it doesn't pass testing.

I wasn't familar with a specific list of ESNs that had problems (I was away from TreoCentral for a bit being too damn busy)... It happens though... I don't think that the problems I have are indicitive of ongoing Treo problems, more just using a cell phone in the job that I have... No phone is as sturdy as I will ever need But as long as I keep them under warranty, I'm in good shape.
    Thanks Dorv.
    So I went to the SPCS store and told them I was having some problems with my phone and wanted to have it checked. They informed me that the series of tests they use are not made for the Treo and that I would have to call Support and perform tests while speaking with a Sprint support person.

Of course this does nothing for me, since I would not have an "official" report from Sprint saying my Treo is defective.

My Treo's ESN is in the range of those known to have problems. Is there any "official" Sprint write-up anywhere that mentions the problem with Treos in a given ESN range? I know there have been posts made here about it, but is there any actual documentation from Sprint/P1 anywhere?
  6.    #6  
    That's weird... They checked mine w/o question...
    Well I have time and there are plenty of SPCS stores .

Worse case scenario I would just have to show the folks in Best Buy all the issues I'm having without documentation from Sprint. More time consuming, but the issues exists. And my ESN is in the "problem range". I wish there was some official documentation about certain ESNs having problems.
    I've been reading on other boards about people going to SPCS stores and having their Treo tested. So I'm sure the people at the SPCS store I went to are just incompetent.

Now the hard part. Finding a SPCS store with people that are competent. Good thing I'm starting months in advance. I'd have an easier time finding a needle in a haystack .
    Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    I too bought the Best Buy PSP. As far as I am concerned it was $80 well spent. I have already used it once and recieved a new phone. My display had a probelm 15 days after I bought it. It would not come on unless you held the side very tight. I had a new phone working in under 30 minutes. I am going to get a failed slip from Sprint tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

Lonzo
  10.    #10  
    I wish that they had Treo's in stock so I could get a new one... I'm sure that one would fail b/w now and then (whenever "then" is)
    i've had 2 treo's since they've been released. a handspring one and a palmone. reason i got 2 is i left sprint and came back. but never had any problems with either. i've had the echo problem...but it only happend with a couple of calls...but it just disappeared. unless i aint that picky....
  12.    #12  
    The only reason I took mine in in the first place was that it was locking up when on a couple of towers in my home town. Ironically, it was the one at my home, and my favorite bar. That problem has since stopped, but I've still got the slip for whenever BB gets some new units in... Or maybe if something else comes out in the mean time
    OK so I stopped in another SPCS store today. At this one I was able to convince them to run some tests. So they took it in the back and asked me if it was OK if they do a hard reset, I told them that was fine. So they brought it back after doing whatever tests they ran and had reset the unit. And told me "well if you have any more problems let us know since we just reset it". And so while still in the store, I connected to PCS Vision, then tried to disconnect and sure enough the Treo locked up as it always does. So I showed a rep the Treo while it was still locked up and told her "see it still has problems and is locked up even after your hard reset". So she takes it back to the tech. Then comes back and says "he (the tech) said you have to wait for provisioning after the hard reset" . Of course that's a bunch of crap! I told them I've seen this issue even after doing resets (hard and soft) at home. And the problem does not go away. Then she pretty much understood the Treo is really broken.

So then I told her I need a report from the tech that verifies my problem, so I can take it to Best Buy to get a replacement. I think when they realized I was not trying to make them give me a new unit they eased up a bit. They wrote up a Tech Ticket, gave it to me and sent me on my way.

So FINALLY I've got the tech ticket from Sprint confirming my problem exists and it says among other things "internal error" to confirm the Treo has internal problems.

I can live with this defective Treo 600 till the Treo Ace comes out. And when it does I'll be at Best Buy with my Tech Ticket asking to upgrade to a Treo Ace .
    I have replaced my treo 3 times (on my 4th) and have never had to get a slip from sprint before going to best buy. Just showed them at BB what it was doing wrong and they gave me a new one. Just had to prove it to them.

The first time (network search) the sprint store didnt have a clue and wouldnt help me. BB said "that looks broken to me. here's a new phone".

Guess I'm just lucky
  15.    #15  
    Yeah, that still jibes with what the BB guys said to me. If it is an obviously replicatable problem that you can show to the BB tech guys, they'll replace it. Otherwise, you can take it to a SPCS store first.
    Yea I figure things would go OK with BB even without the slip, but I figure I might as well have as much proof to back me up as I can get. Just in case something does not go as expected.

If the Treo Ace were out right now I would have gone straight to BB and asked for one without any slip from SPCS. But since it is months away and I already know what I'm planning to do I just figured I might as well have the additional documentation showing there is a problem.

I'm sure once the Treo Ace comes out there will be lots of people trying to work their BB plan for an upgrade. Which might cause the folks at BB to tighten up a bit on offering upgrades. I want to be sure my case is as solid as possible.
    I called 3 metro-atlanta best buy stores on friday. Two were out-of-stock and expecting more 600's within a week. The 3rd store had two in stock. I've got one of them.
    I also live in the metro-Atlanta area. When I got my Treo 600 earlier this year I was having the same problem. It seems they don't keep many in stock. Although they all sell very fast.
  19.    #19  
    Yeah, now I"m having more and more problems with my unit. Now, it just locks up. Its not replicatable by anything I can tell yet, so I can't find the cause. The only thing I've added recently is BackupMan, so maybe its conflicting with something else I have.
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    I also live in the metro-Atlanta area. When I got my Treo 600 earlier this year I was having the same problem. It seems they don't keep many in stock. Although they all sell very fast.
    It probably doesn't help that they have to give so many away as warranty replacements, either.

So the big question is.. should I keep this thing? or return it and wait for the 610?

I bought it because I was getting tired of carrying a cellphone AND a PDA. Unfortunately, there aren't many cellphone/pda combos with a built-in keyboard.