Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I'm sure a number of you have been waiting for this....

RescoViewer v.1.80 includes a feature for Treo 600 users to zoom & pan simply by using the 5way!

Not only that, the functions of the 4 hardkeys and the 5way are also user-customizable. Add to that, comprehensive support for various more image types (even animated GIFs!) and you will agree why this image viewer is THE BEST available for Palm OS. I have even deleted SplashPhoto & AcidImage off my device!

Take note that the version I received is actually an as-of-yet-unreleased beta and the official build will be out in 3-4 days time

Cheers!
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    will it view .tif files?
    No, only GrxView Pro and Acid Image Pro will.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    No, only GrxView Pro and Acid Image Pro will.
    Photogather will also.
    Shneor
    Pre 3 on T-Mobile, 32gb Touchpad
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, initially the lack of support for TIF files turned me off too... but after thinking abt it, how many times do you actually receive TIF files? And even so, the nature of the file format (they usually tend to be large uncompressed scans or photos) would deem it impractical for viewing on the low-res Treo 600.

So i'm not complaining... yet.
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I use efax which has a .tif delivery option I'd like sometimes. I have Resco - which I really like - and don't want to spend the $ for Acid.
    As crappy as the Treo camera is, there isnt a viewer out there I would fork over $$$$ for. Yesterday I bought the tiniest digital camera and I dont regret making that purchase.

I am behind the wheel taking this picture....at 75 mph with my DC. Tried it with the Treo, and I havent figured out yet what that blur was I was left with.
    Last edited by scandalex; 08/15/2008 at 10:13 AM.
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Camera can take fine pictures in proper lighting.
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Camera can take fine pictures in proper lighting.
    So I should only wait for proper lighting? Out of a $600 device?
    ~ ScandaLous ~
    Quote Originally Posted by scandalex
    So I should only wait for proper lighting? Out of a $600 device?
    Not a $600 camera, it is a Smartphone, it is a " Jack Of All Trades, Master of None Phone".

Who held the gun to your head to buy it ?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by ksawatsky
    I use efax which has a .tif delivery option I'd like sometimes. I have Resco - which I really like - and don't want to spend the $ for Acid.
    You do have a valid point there. And with the hi-res screen on the upcoming Treo ACE, I can see how TIF support would be very useful. I will drop a line with the developer and hopefully he'll agree!
    I am from Resco - responsible for the viewer development. Tif is one of the richest image formats in use and it would be of great help for us to know what do you expect.

Tif is basically an envelope (framework) for another image format. The samples that I met most frequently could be compared to bmp format, but theoretically it is possible to store e.g. jpegs inside a tif. Here are some frequently used alternatives:

Tif/F = b/w fax format. Relatively small files, hence the processing should be fast. Sensitive to scaling = a big disadvantage on small screens.

Tif produced by some high-level digicams: huge images that will be very slow to handle due to the slow Palm card i/o. (The reason is in the hardware - Palm uses up to the 4 bits for card i/o. Hence it is much slower that PocketPC, Nokia or digicams.) Scaling should produce better results than for the faxes. I never tested it, but expect to be veeery slow on Palm devices.

Compressed tif. Usually lzw compression which was subject of the license limitations until recently, but there are alternatives - e.g. zlib based compression. The question is, which compressions are in use. Should be faster that non-compressed tif.

Etc.
    Another interesting question concerns tif meta tags, that can store additional information about the image.
    For me it would be enough to view Tif/F. I have attached a fax from my fax gateway as an example.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    69 Global Posts
    I really need only the ability to view faxes as a .tif option. All my other pics would generally be .jpg format. This would be a big help. Thanks for your interest in improving a really great product. I love being able to "show off" my family using Resco viewer. Beats a wallet full of dog-eared pics... :-) I am looking forward to upgrading to 1.80 when I get back to a PC...
    Does it have the ability to save changes to new images, instead of just saving them for when you're viewing in Resco? It can crop to new files, but none of the other stuff (rotate, scale, etc) can be saved in the 1.70 demo I have.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by metsfan
    Does it have the ability to save changes to new images, instead of just saving them for when you're viewing in Resco? It can crop to new files, but none of the other stuff (rotate, scale, etc) can be saved in the 1.70 demo I have.
    Yeah, that's the only thing keeping me from buying the product. I like to take pictures with my canon SD100 and then move the memory to the treo and email it. Only problem is, if I want to email my computer illiterate mother a vertical picture, she will just turn her head sideways and tell me I sent her a sideways picture.

I emailed support about this and they said that it was counter productive to add such features because it made the program harder to use. I personally don't see what makes saving a rotated picture any harder than saving a cropped picture. If any thing it's easier. So what gives?

At any rate, they'll get my money when I can save rotated picture to a new file.

Otherwise it's a great program. Just of little use to me in its current state.

--TechDude
    Last edited by TechDude; 07/06/2004 at 08:12 PM. Reason: I'm stupid
    Quote Originally Posted by TechDude
    Yeah, that's the only thing keeping me from buying the product. I like to take pictures with canon SD100 and then move the memory to the treo and email it. Only problem is, if I want to email my computer illiterate mother a vertical picture, she will just turn her head sideways and tell me I sent her a sideways picture.

I emailed support about this and they said that it was counter productive to add such features because it made the program harder to use. I personally don't see what makes saving a rotated picture any harder than saving a cropped picture. If any thing it's easier. So what gives?

At any rate, they'll get my money when I can save rotated picture to a new file.

Otherwise it's a great program. Just of little use to me in its current state.

--TechDude
    That's exactly what I want to do with it (same camera, too). Fotogather lets you scale and rotate, and save, and Resco lets you crop, but it seems silly to need two programs to do it all together. It's also a lot of saving to card and loading in other programs and becomes really annoying real fast.

I guess what I really want is a "photo editor" not "photo viewer".
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Quote Originally Posted by ksawatsky
    will it view .tif files?
    Resco PhotoViewer just came out with 2.10, which does view Tif. (at least they say they do... I don't have and Tif's to look at just yet)
    Quote Originally Posted by nighthawk700
    Resco PhotoViewer just came out with 2.10, which does view Tif. (at least they say they do... I don't have and Tif's to look at just yet)
    I tried it and dumped it. It did not have a .tif image option and did not display my electronic faxes. In fact, when I tried to view just a regular jpeg or bmp from an email attachment, Resco only showed me the image without options to save, move, zoom or anything. Clicking the image closed it and returned me to the email app. Acid-Image Pro on the other hand allows me to click the attachment and view the image, move it, save it, tweek it etc. I love the option to either save the image or not save the image upon viewing and AI lets me do this as well as having a great viewer for .fax or .tif file attachments. A little pricey but seemingly reliable so far.....

Perhaps Resco will continue to improve. Hopefully whereas I prefer their interface, simplicity and price versus AI.
    Are you sure you actually tried 2.10? When I installed 2.10 it did NOT overwrite 1.80. It allows you to have both installed at the same time, probably because it requires an upgraded registration code. It took me a moment to realize that I was looking at an old version.
    "Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, 1989
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast