1.    #1  
    Stupid updater from PALM!!!!

No I get a constant reset loop after I sync. I read the faq and looked under the : 4.Treo 600 Updater causes device to loop or continuously reset
    Here: http://205.141.210.170/SRVS/CGI-BIN/....tem,CASE=4430

But I can not locate the files Palm talks about deleting in your backup folder, I even searched my entire PC. I have done a reset and can use my phone but all my files that made my Treo mine are gone. I can not do a sync because after that it asks to do a reset (by hitting the reset button on the screen) and thats what throws it into a loop.

If anyone can help my get all my files and applications, and settings back I would forever be in debt.

Thanks a lot in advance
    OK - don't panic:-). You probably have some tricking out software for your Treo that is causing this. It will be in your Backup folder on the PC or Mac and is eassy to remove.

I am curious to know if you have a PC or a Mac and which version you installed (EXE or SIT file)?

Hard reset the Treo and then go into your backup folder (on a PC it is usually c:\program files\handspring\<username abbreviation>\Backup

Cut all the files from here except the Saved Preferences file and paste them to a safe place. Now HotSync again and you will find that you have no loop. Now install only the files from this backup copy that you know you need using the install tool.

It's time consuming but you will quickly find out if any of the programs are causing problems. Install all the stuff you know is good and then cherry pick one-by-one the suspect files.
    Alternate strategy.
    It's not a bad idea to install 50% of the files and see if you get a reaction from them and then install the other 50%. That way you can quickly isolate problem files and keep dividing the problem group in two until you get to the culprit.
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    If you don't want to go all the way back to a hard reset, you can do a "WARM RESET" Hit the "UP" on the 5-way nav pad when you perform a reset (with the pin in the back) and you will have an OS load similar to starting Widows in safe mode. You can then delete any *possibly offending* applications one by one to see if they were the cause of the loop.

Do this until it doesn't exhibit the behavior. Sometimes TreoTools and other utilities that automatically start the radio after a poweron could be the source of the problem.

Good luck!
  4.    #4  
    I have a Windows XP PC and I loaded the .exe.

I have already done a hard reset but thanks a lot for the response phildro.

Will update later with progress.
  5.    #5  
    Also what would be a wat to totally avoid something like this in the future??

An SD card and back-up program, right?
    I had the same problem, 15 minutes with tech support at PalmOne fixed it. Then create a new 'dummy' user in Palm Desktop (call it dummy). When you sync your 'clean' Treo, select the dummy user, then install the update as that user. The update will be the only thing you install as 'dummy', once it's completely updated (follow the usual instructions for the update), do another hard reset, and select yourself on the first sync, that will put everything back where you had it.
    Good luck!
    atldavek - go over to mytreo net, downloads section, find the updater you need and follow the instructions...I had the same prob as you which was sorted thanks to mytreo.net
    Thank you for saving me from what I'm sure what have ended up something with the word "Postal" in it. A little time consuming, but just an FYI... the culprit was AIM! Damn AOL anyway!

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Poryphyron
    OK - don't panic:-). You probably have some tricking out software for your Treo that is causing this. It will be in your Backup folder on the PC or Mac and is eassy to remove.

I am curious to know if you have a PC or a Mac and which version you installed (EXE or SIT file)?

Hard reset the Treo and then go into your backup folder (on a PC it is usually c:\program files\handspring\<username abbreviation>\Backup

Cut all the files from here except the Saved Preferences file and paste them to a safe place. Now HotSync again and you will find that you have no loop. Now install only the files from this backup copy that you know you need using the install tool.

It's time consuming but you will quickly find out if any of the programs are causing problems. Install all the stuff you know is good and then cherry pick one-by-one the suspect files.
    Alternate strategy.
    It's not a bad idea to install 50% of the files and see if you get a reaction from them and then install the other 50%. That way you can quickly isolate problem files and keep dividing the problem group in two until you get to the culprit.
    AOL ceased testing their software on anything but the most standard hardware about four years ago. It sucks! Given their affiliation with Sprint, it doubly sucks that they ignore the Treos for testing.