Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    A $399 upgrade price and letting me ebay my HANDSPRING treo 600!!!
    << My command as we escape Palm HQ with a new Pre 3>>.

Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> Treo 755 >> Instinct >> Pre- >> TouchPad
    Anything we mention here is clearly going to be waaay to late for this next Treo. These suggestions will be read for the one after.

Voiceover IP - no way are we going to see that for several years to come. Motorola announced a new phone that claims to do this in Europe. It remains to be seen how this would work - you would need two services that are able to neatly hand over calls. How do you start a call on one network that is free and then hand it over to one that requires payment. Perhaps your plan does not allow you to call internationally - what does the GSM network do then? drop the call? This is highly complex stuff. It is already pretty magical that you can fly down the highway at speed with a call continuing uninterrupted between multiple cells (well most of the time - Cingular!). Call switching in a multimode world will require you to pay for VOIP calls IMHO - there is no way the networks are going to introduce handsets that let you call for nearly-free when in your house if they can possibly make money from it.

Palm OS 6 - no way. This OS will not see the light of day before 2005. It's in developers hands now but is not nearly ready for public release.
    I couldn't understand the value of Wifi on my phone until now. I could use any providers broadband at home, and drop that d&*% Southwestern Bell home phone in favor of VOIP around the house - the ultimate portable phone.
    The ACE looks just about perfect to me. I don't agree with most of your wishes, they seem too outladish or gimmicky to me (just my personal opinion). My only real wishes are on the software side.

In terms of hardware, I just have the general wish to have it be smaller and thinner, a slightly better camera, but above all: I wish it would come out soon, VERY soon.
    1) EV-DO.

would make the treo ace unstoppable in the wireless market. probably too soon to expect, but might eliminate the need for wifi!

if you've got dsl wireless speeds ANYWHERE, why on earth would you need to bother buying an sd card to get wifi? it would be a redundant add-on.
    this will be very tough to hold off on, but I think for me my next justification for upgrade will be the ev-do data speeds.

NEXT GEN TREO ( AFTER THE ACE )
    2) palm os 6
    3) multithreading processor
    4) anti-crash reset software
    built in. - detects bugs and
    disables third party software
    before they cause data loss
    and system crashes.
    5) fuel cell battery - 6-8 hr talk
    time.
    6) toshiba 1 - gigabyte handheld
    memory chip! another big
    step to come!
    7) strong anti-virus software -
    with automatic updates - much
    like automatic and periodic
    windows updates.

8) download music and video to the treo via the blazer browser.

9) short tv news clips attached to each news clipping on either handmark express or blazer news editions.
    1. replacable battry
    2. antenna removed
    3. improved camera quality
    4. more favourites pages
    5. address book has picture caller id ( <--- THE ONE I WANT MOST )
    Quote Originally Posted by xaix
    5. address book has picture caller id ( <--- THE ONE I WANT MOST )
    This can be done with the current Treo....do you mean without 3rd party software???
    "Common sense is the collection of prejudices acquired by age eighteen."
    - Albert Einstein
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    I was called a Troll
    I was ridiculed and kicked around
    All I wanted was hi res and the abuse came in February of 2004

I want in my wish list apologies for those who defended low res 160x160 and now can't wait to don their beautiful 610 with movies and pictures!

George
    Global Posts
    172 Global Posts
    How about a hard drive? They'll be in phones soon, shouldn't the Treo be leading the way? One of the new 0.8" drives would be perfect. They cost about $50.
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    After testing 25 different models of mobile phones, TCO Development, an arm of the Swedish white-collar union TCO based in Stockholm, is recommending only six of them. Seven of the phones failed to meet TCO’s SAR standard of 0.8 W/Kg averaged over 10g of tissue (see MWN, J/F01). TCO Development states that its SAR limit is less strict than the Federal Communications Commission’s (FCC) SAR standard for certifying phones for sale in the U.S. (It is not clear how many of these models are available in the U.S. marketplace.) Eight other phones did not pass TCO’s guidelines for communication efficiency. Three phones met both radiation standards but not the ergonomic requirements —for instance, the way the number buttons are laid out on the face of the phone. The complete 14-page TCO Development report is available on its new Web site: www.mobilelabelling.com

also see www.safelevel.com/cellsensor
    I would love it they would make the keypad removable so that we could have more real estate for web surfing or book reading. Don't get me wrong I love the keyboard that's whey I have it, but it would just be so cool if we could up one on the Sony Ericsson p800.
    I would like to see the new Ace to have several basic things that the current model was lacking:
    1) It should come with a docking cradle. What palms don't?
    2) It should come with a solid factory belt clip. What phone doesn't? They could buy the design from proclip.
    3) It should come with more basic sofware utilities: a Profile Manager, ability to use MP3's as ringtones, Volume keys used as a scroller, etc. I was a little disappointed paying $600 and then bending over for multiple add-ons to make the device more user friendly.
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    I couldn't understand the value of Wifi on my phone until now. I could use any providers broadband at home, and drop that d&*% Southwestern Bell home phone in favor of VOIP around the house - the ultimate portable phone.
    that would require a lot of work by our service providers, bith GSM and CDMA

The leading VoIP compay, Vonage, restricts access to a single MAC address so all calls must go through a convertor box that they supply. Broadvoice is another company that allows for Wi-Fi handsets, but still, the wireless service provider would have to allow for handoff to IP telephony in order to make this successful.
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
    my wish is that it was already October and I'm at the world series watching my mets and taking picutres with the included 1.2 meg camara of the ace.

so palm, make it happen.
    Felipe
    On the road to 5,000 posts
    Life is what happens between Firmware releases.
    Quote Originally Posted by 100thMonkey
    that would require a lot of work by our service providers, bith GSM and CDMA

The leading VoIP compay, Vonage, restricts access to a single MAC address so all calls must go through a convertor box that they supply. Broadvoice is another company that allows for Wi-Fi handsets, but still, the wireless service provider would have to allow for handoff to IP telephony in order to make this successful.
    Oh well, so much for dreaming. Should have known my inability to understand the reason for Wifi on a cell phone had a a real basis.
    ...So the Ace should have:
    - hi-res screen
    - ability to record & play audio & video files out of the box, with no need for 3rd party software. So the camera can be used as a still camera as well as a camcorder
    - This includes MP3 players, too. Make the Ace the Son of iPod. Or at least first cousin :-)
    - BlueTooth
    - Wifi (Modern cellphones have BT, PDAs have WiFis, Treo is both a phone and PDA, so it should have both BT and WiFi. WiFi could come in an SD card)
    -easy way to add ringtones
    -easy way to add sounds, WAVs and Movs for Alarm sounds & ring tones
    -FM Radio!! 'Cause that' just so cool ;-)
    -Quick change batteries. Cellphones have quickchange batteries, so the ACE should have one too.
    -Folding antenna ala the Nokia Communicator. When folded, it could cover the SD card slot, acting as a lock to prevent cards from being ejected.
    -Cheaper price. It should be around $400 price range, not $600. Well, this is a WISH list, isn't it? ;—)
    Quote Originally Posted by treobk214
    1) EV-DO.

would make the treo ace unstoppable in the wireless market. probably too soon to expect, but might eliminate the need for wifi!
    According to this link the Sprint Treo ACE will be EV-DO
    http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=406993

--Dave
    Oh My.....

EV-D0.....how could Cingular, T-Mo ever hope to compete....

Thats like Aol Dialup versus DSL......

Wonder if the GSM fanboys can finally see the emperor has no clothes...

If it comes out this fall Im on it man....
    God is not a Democrat or a Republican, but he is Pro-Life!
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    Oh well, so much for dreaming. Should have known my inability to understand the reason for Wifi on a cell phone had a a real basis.

there is a shred of Hope though.

Vonage offers a softphone applet through a PC that allows one to use the PC microphone and speakers as a phone (although it is a different telephone number than the one associated with the MAC address of the converter box).
    Broadvoice allows the use of WiFi phones....

Now this solution, or the at least IMHO, is that if wireless companies can either A) work with a VoIP company or B) create their own IP based telephony arms, so that should a PDA encouter a network and can connect to the VoIP authentication, then the wireless phone number calls can be diverted though the VoIP data stream rather than the wireless voice channels. That's my 2 cents for getting to use your wireless number on a Wi-Fi network with VoIp.

Of couse, things may be greatly simplified if you are willing to have different cellular and VoIP numbers home

EDIT:

Additionally, any of VoIP users may remember softphone Net2phone back in 2001 when latency was a huge issue

GPRS and EDGE both have too much latency for good VoIP connection

I am not sure how WCDMA (commonly called UMTS by ATTWS though UMTS technically refers to any wireless technololgy deployed at 2100 mHz) will do as far as latency, but I do think that EV-DV rel E has a lot of promise...plus by the time that EV-DV rel E hits consumer handsets (PC cards will be first), then it is highly likely that wireless providers will have structures in place for data/cellular voice handoffs. Furthermore, mobile9 and Mobile Gadget News reported today that a large GSM carrier (AWS or Cingular perhaps) has commited to complete UMTS roll out by mid 2005. Should be interesting..but a ways off for now
    Last edited by 100thMonkey; 07/10/2004 at 03:56 PM.
    La Vie En Diaspora: Enfin, une émission qui raconte votre vie aux Etats-Unis

Treo 600 in December '03, Treo 650 in February '05, HTC TyTN Pro in August '06, and back to Treo 750 in January '07, find me at MyTreo.net

About me: story of the 100thMonkey
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12