Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 80 of 92
  1. #61  
    I'm not buying another one of these dogs until they make them more durable than the pantywaist plastic box I have in my hand now. This thing resets when I set it on the table and every fourth call sounds like I'm calling from a blender. I't easily the most expensive phone I have ever bought for such lousey call quality and reliablility. Y'all can keep on dreaming and spending your money, but I've had better for a lot less and I won't do it again.
  2. #62  
    Perhaps by this time 2005, they will have a GSM model.
  3.    #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by JAWilson
    I'm not buying another one of these dogs until they make them more durable than the pantywaist plastic box I have in my hand now. This thing resets when I set it on the table and every fourth call sounds like I'm calling from a blender. I't easily the most expensive phone I have ever bought for such lousey call quality and reliablility. Y'all can keep on dreaming and spending your money, but I've had better for a lot less and I won't do it again.

    This kinda blows my mind. The 300 was crap -- it'll give you that -- but the 600, at least for me, has been nearly 100% rock solid. No resetting, very few dropped calls, the ability to run more or less any PALM program.

    I have never, ever had a problem with the durability or and quality issues. I have been working off of the same one for nearly 8 months now.
  4. mgauss's Avatar
    Posts
    743 Posts
    Global Posts
    745 Global Posts
    #64  
    I swear, I've had the 300 and the 600 as soon as Sprint had them and in all those 3 years, I've only seen 2 300's and 1 600. Now in the last week I saw 3 600's!

    I went up to every one of them and they all had had it for only 2 months! I told them of the "new" unit ... they were not happy! They mentioned the cost of the current unit and the potential cost of the new one...are we gonna get an upgrade?

    It was funny...I was all excited about the new resolution...they were not.
  5. #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by JAWilson
    I'm not buying another one of these dogs until they make them more durable than the pantywaist plastic box I have in my hand now. This thing resets when I set it on the table and every fourth call sounds like I'm calling from a blender. I't easily the most expensive phone I have ever bought for such lousey call quality and reliablility. Y'all can keep on dreaming and spending your money, but I've had better for a lot less and I won't do it again.
    Amazing you wouldnt see if possibly yours was defective and get a replacement. Sure sounds like it is. Kinda stupid to keep putting up with that kind of performance, when that is not the norm.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman
    This kinda blows my mind. The 300 was crap -- it'll give you that -- but the 600, at least for me, has been nearly 100% rock solid. No resetting, very few dropped calls, the ability to run more or less any PALM program.

    I have never, ever had a problem with the durability or and quality issues. I have been working off of the same one for nearly 8 months now.
    As these devices do more and their inherent complexity increases it is very hard (for a non-technical user) to know why they do what they do -- for example, what causes that soft-reset when I go to the SMS application (I know, search --- I'm just using this example.)

    One thing is clear from this and other boards like it--- there is a lot of variability in the T600's performance -- I suggest in part it is from complexity and all the applications we can and therefore do install (I really need a movie camera in my phone.) But in addition, I have come to the opinion that despite all of its virtues, the manufacturing quality and reliability of the T-600 is sub-standard. On some days, I'd say POS.

    I find it amusing that everyone is clamoring for the next device, when in my view, they haven't figured out how to make this one stable yet and I'm thinking they never will. Maybe we're too early in this product life cycle to get "stability" but at some point, I'd like the thing to work without fuss.

    And yes, I have taken it back and had it replaced twice. I'm on my third one since November '03. I've experienced good service at the Sprint store (really!) and all that. But what $600 piece of hardware has a 2 - 3 month useful life? T600. Network search anyone? At least they're cheaper now.

    DC
  7. #67  
    i really need a movie camera in my phone

    you can download movierec its free do a search for the link
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

    Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
  8. BigTex's Avatar
    Posts
    320 Posts
    Global Posts
    390 Global Posts
    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by mgauss
    I went up to every one of them and they all had had it for only 2 months! I told them of the "new" unit ... they were not happy! They mentioned the cost of the current unit and the potential cost of the new one...are we gonna get an upgrade?
    You guys kill me! When you buy a new PC do they give you an upgrade path? (usually no). Do better/fast/more feature rich PCs come out every month? Yup! Why should this market be any different? Early adopters are always going to be unhappy that they paid full price X months ago and now something better/newer/cooler is out and now they feel that they must buy this new version too.

    I own a '96 Jeep Crand Cherokee and 1 new body style has been here for 6 years and the next generation is on its way to market. Does my current jeep still do what I need..YES! Would I like a new jeep...Yup. Will I buy one when it is launched....NO!

    I bought my Treo 270 used off ebay and waited paitiently for the next Gen treo 6XX. I wanted the Treo 600 but I KNEW that a new one was around the corner..Will I buy the ACE this fall if it hits the market...HELL YES! Will I want the new one that comes out next year...probably but it may have to wait until the one I have no longer does the job.
    Waiting for Palm Pre on AT&T then can replace my iPhone. Needs Doc To Go and Flash

    Mutley - Passed 4-18-06. A better friend one could not ask for!
  9. #69  
    Quote Originally Posted by dcurrie
    As these devices do more and their inherent complexity increases it is very hard (for a non-technical user) to know why they do what they do -- for example, what causes that soft-reset when I go to the SMS application (I know, search --- I'm just using this example.)

    One thing is clear from this and other boards like it--- there is a lot of variability in the T600's performance -- I suggest in part it is from complexity and all the applications we can and therefore do install (I really need a movie camera in my phone.) But in addition, I have come to the opinion that despite all of its virtues, the manufacturing quality and reliability of the T-600 is sub-standard. On some days, I'd say POS.

    I find it amusing that everyone is clamoring for the next device, when in my view, they haven't figured out how to make this one stable yet and I'm thinking they never will. Maybe we're too early in this product life cycle to get "stability" but at some point, I'd like the thing to work without fuss.

    And yes, I have taken it back and had it replaced twice. I'm on my third one since November '03. I've experienced good service at the Sprint store (really!) and all that. But what $600 piece of hardware has a 2 - 3 month useful life? T600. Network search anyone? At least they're cheaper now.

    DC
    Had my T600 the week it was released by Sprint.

    Same first phone, only problems are 3rd party software interactions, and some badly written software.

    But when you add new software you add a degree of unreliability, anybody with a PC knows this.

    I think there must be numerous improperly refurbished units kicking around.
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by RWerksman
    This kinda blows my mind. The 300 was crap -- it'll give you that -- but the 600, at least for me, has been nearly 100% rock solid. No resetting, very few dropped calls, the ability to run more or less any PALM program.

    I have never, ever had a problem with the durability or and quality issues. I have been working off of the same one for nearly 8 months now.
    I agree that the 600 has been very solid.

    It will run any Palm 5.0 compatible application. PalmOne seems to get perverse pleasure out of ensuring that one must get new apps every time they update the OS. This is aggravated by the fact that new hardware will only run on the newest operating system. Makes upgrading either hardware or software as difficult a Windows upgrade.
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by dlbrummels
    Had my T600 the week it was released by Sprint.

    Same first phone, only problems are 3rd party software interactions, and some badly written software.

    But when you add new software you add a degree of unreliability, anybody with a PC knows this.

    I think there must be numerous improperly refurbished units kicking around.
    On the new software point (adding unreliability), I don't disagree with you. But because we've gotten accumstomed to this with PC's doesn't make it desirable or acceptable. Of course, our phones are more like PC's than ever. That is the problem -- and perhaps not a lot (or any?) discipline imposed on developers to ensure compatibility between applications running on the platform.

    Gotta go, phone is ringing, I'm getting email, I'm reading a book, taking pictures of my kids, listening to MP3's, showing a Powerpoint connected to an LCD projector and running an automatic backup to the SC card ---- all on this T600 with which I definitely have a love/hate relationship

    DC
  12. #72  
    Yes, and with technology you have more time, and less paper...
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by linksavage
    Hopefully there will be a trade-up program for those of us with "old" T600's!
    Yeah, and people in hell want icewater. Much as it will kill me to part with another $450-500, I'll probably do it anyway. Sprint knows this. What will be quite interesting will be to see the glut of T600s that hit Ebay as we try and upgrade ourselves.

    Sprint...are you listening? Give us a trade in credit, maybe $100 or so, and then keep the T600s as repair/replacement units, or work a deal with PalmOne to refurb them as T660s and make your money on the unit...twice.
  14. #74  
    $400-$500 *is* the upgrade price, if they keep things consistent with the last round. $600-$700 is the standard one. Don't know too many people who will stomach that.
  15. #75  
    I can justify an upgrade for $399 (like the last time), but if the next Treo is more than that, I will probably pass.
    Palm V-->Visor Deluxe-->Visor Prism-->Visorphone-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 650 on Sprint-->Treo 700p-->Centro-->Diamond-->Pre-->HTC EVO 4g???!
  16. #76  
    Quote Originally Posted by BigTex
    You guys kill me! When you buy a new PC do they give you an upgrade path? (usually no). Do better/fast/more feature rich PCs come out every month? Yup! Why should this market be any different? Early adopters are always going to be unhappy that they paid full price X months ago and now something better/newer/cooler is out and now they feel that they must buy this new version too.
    I completely understand your point, but the PC analogy is flawed. I can replace parts and pieces on my PC as new ones come available, rather than having to buy a whole new box. Can't do that with the phone.

    Strange, but I've not become as "dependent" on my T600 as I thought I would. There are a couple of gaping holes in the user process for me (no real PDF ability to store and send docs is the big one) that, had I done more research, I might not have bought the phone. But there are other things it does quite well.

    As I mentioned in another post, I too will grit my teeth and pony up the money for the new unit, especially if it supports hi-rez. My wife is going to kill me...
  17. #77  
    Big Tex, the element of the equation you forget is Sprint and the other carriers look at the phone as being the vehicle that brings then the reaccuring monthly revenue. that is why the cell phone companies differ from PC manufacturers. With a PC is it buy it and be done. You get your add on elements yourself if and only if desired.
  18. #78  
    I hope not.

    I don't think there was any doubt that Handspring released the 600 too early before the bugs were worked out. At the time they were looking for a buyout partner and needed the buzz that the announcement of a new device would bring. BUT by announcing the 600 so far in advance of any possible release date, they killed their revenue stream from the 300. This made them rush the 600 even sooner and probable resulted in the uneven quality a lot of folks see.

    That, btw is when I bought my 300, right after the 600 was announced and prices on the 300 dropped like a rock. Mine, new, from sprint with the rebates, wound up costing me $50.

    Now I know a lot of people had trouble with the 300s but most of those issues seemed to have been worked out by the time I got my 300. It worked perfectly for about 8 months when the battery started to give out and Sprint replaced it with a new (not refurb) one that has also been perfoming with no problem.

    My concern is whether Sprint has done the same thing, by letting the Ace info out this early it will most likely dry up 600 sales. Will this cause them to rush the Ace to market with the same quality control problems.

    On bright thought that, unlike the 300/600 switch, this is not a totally new phone. So, hopefully, it will have most of the bugs worked out of it. At least the 600ish bugs will be worked out I hope, I assume there may be some new ones. In effect MAYBE, the Ace will be like my late model 300s that have the kinks worked out.

    Hear's hoping because I would like to get one if there is any rebate or discount at all. By the time the Ace hits the stores, I will have had my 300 over 18 months so hopefully there will be something
  19. #79  
    Based SOLELY on my experience with my 300 and then my 600, I will upgrade the day it comes out, price break or no. I've already put money aside for my ACE slush fund, and by the time it comes out, will have saved enough mad money to keep my wife from screaming too much. "...but Honey, I would have just blown this at Hooters/ On Comics/ etc., etc!
    Go here if you're tired of being .
    It'll be fun.
  20. #80  
    I have my "Failed Testing" slip from SPCS stapled to my Best Buy PSP. I took it in the other day, and they were out of stock of T600's, so I guess I'll just wait (better than taking an i500 any day). I'm there the day Best Buy releases.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Posting Permissions