Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    RL...ready link. like nextel's walkie talkie type deal...
    Quote Originally Posted by kennethx
    My Treo is a GSM pa1m0ne one. The "T" on my Treo is capitilized. I used to have a Handspring one and it was lowercase.
    Same here for the new Sprint Treo 600 I just got -- I exchanged a Handspring T600 from 10/03 for a P1 T600 this week -- the "treo" is now "Treo" on the Sprint model, too.
    palmone uses a different font with a capital 't'
    Global Posts
    440 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dstrauss
    It's not so much moving the home key - they created two typical phone "softkeys" - eg, when you're on the phone the speakerphone symbol will appear above one of them and you can hit that key to invoke. Handspring (I refuse to credit Palm yet) has been great in trying to make thees converged devices as phone use friendly as possible. This let's them "shrink" and curve the keyboard to save space. Besides, the home key on the 600 is a pain in the a$$ because it's stuck down there so low between the other keys - this makes Home and Menu very quick and easy access, AND give you two shift keys.

Yeah, but then you can't get to your launcher while on the phone... i often have to switch to other apps while on the (speaker) phone. Usually, it turns out that these are the apps I map to hardkeys (like having to launch datebook while chatting with someone to schedule a meeting). But I think a dedicated home key (and to a certain extent, the menu key) is pretty useful, although i agree with everyone that the placement of the current home button is not ideal.
    Quote Originally Posted by jglev
    That thread is back from Feb. I think this is the new Harrier (links below) and is apparently being release on Sprint (CDMA) and T-Mobile (GSM). The CDMA version is suppose to be EVDO and speculation is that Sprint will release it as the first device capable of accessing the new network.

http://www.mtekk.com.au/browse/page764.html (Note the fuzzy picture similar to the Treo Ace photo from Sprint. Both pictures may have come from the same source/presentation/fax.)

http://www.daxiantelecom.com/english...duct.asp?id=23

And the PocketPC Thoughts thread here: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/foru...c.php?p=239258

There is also a resent thread on Howard Forums here: http://www.howardforums.com/showthre...hreadid=394288
    These are two different PPC devices we are talking about. The Harrier was to be from HTC (makers of many PPC devices), while the Daxian device has additional feature sets as it is a more recent proposition. It's good this way...everyone here probably wants the keyboard anyway, and EV-DO means it won't get old too soon
    Quote Originally Posted by ivyrose
    And here I thought I had my heart set on the i550. Wow, I guess I'll just have to see which "feels" better when the time comes. I remember having an awful time deciding between the Treo 600 and the i500.
    Yeah, it's de ja vu all over again. Except, I'd bet the Treo Ace beats the i550 to market by at least one full quarter (and I really prefer clamshell designs, but the feature set rules as first order of business).
    Anyone else wondering if a "large wireless provider" will make him take that picture down?
    Quote Originally Posted by darnell
    Anyone else wondering if a "large wireless provider" will make him take that picture down?

He doesn't have the same relationship with them that other sites do so far as I know. He isn't a Reseller, doesn't receive promotional items from Sprint, so they can't threaten to take any of that away (which is huge.) All they can do is threaten to sue, but I'd think they'd rather find their leaks. His site is all about Sprint, and it largely is free advertisement for them, as well as customer support. If Sprint threatens to sue, all of those members will know it, and it could become a sore spot for Sprint. They wouldn't want to create another site out there that badmouthes them either (www.sprintsu@%s.org).

I would imagine they would be wise to carefully weigh the pros and cons first.
    Note that all the other phones are real pictures of phones. The new Treo is a rendering...wonder why that is? Maybe find the source of that picture and we find out where this started...
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    Note that all the other phones are real pictures of phones. The new Treo is a rendering...wonder why that is? Maybe find the source of that picture and we find out where this started...
    Dude why does it bother you so much that this might be real? And why are you hung up on a rendering? Most products start out with a rendering of somekind. Maybe thats all that has been "released" so far. You kinda come across like youre on a mission to prove this as false. Can anyone say too much time on your hands?

Again what's the big deal?
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    It is interesting comparing the two pictures of the Ace -- the small one from Miradu's article and the larger one from the SprintPCSInfo site. Some observations:

• The new key on the left has differing legends in the two pictures: on the small picture you see the word "Home" while on the larger picture you see an icon of a house.
    • The other new key has differing legends, too: can't read it on the small picture but says "Menu" on the larger one.
    • To the right of the spacebar there is a button with a home icon on the small picture but an "Alt" key on the larger picture.
    Could these have been different design ideas? I wonder which one (if any) will be the real one?
    Global Posts
    411 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Tribalenvy
    These are two different PPC devices we are talking about. The Harrier was to be from HTC (makers of many PPC devices), while the Daxian device has additional feature sets as it is a more recent proposition. It's good this way...everyone here probably wants the keyboard anyway, and EV-DO means it won't get old too soon
    According to the Howard Forum thread: "That's the HTC Harrier, or at least that's what they're calling it for right now. It's the same thing as the Daxian CU928, just repackaged under a different name.
    It most likely WILL be released, but I don't have a date."
    Jeff
    That i550 looks real nice. What sold me on the Treo is it 5 way nav. I hate useing the stylus. The i550 looks like it has the 5 way nav hardware, but I wonder if it's really integrated like the Treo. The 1 mp camera is impressive. I think I would get the i550 if it has the 5 way nav. But if the Treo 610/Ace has a good camera (quality at least as good as today's camera phones), then I'd get the treo 610.
    what a gorgeous phone! i mean in all honesty, what an absolutely beautiful design! curves, sleek, stylish, full featured - pure, and absolute zen.

my wife is blockading me from even entertaining buying another treo so soon, but good, good lord, what an awesome looking piece of cutting edge.

all other sprint phones dont even draw the eye compared to the treo ace. yeah, im biased, but guys, you have to admit that at this stage of the treo`s evolution, this form factor is pretty close to complete perfection.

it looks like it belongs on the dashboard of bmw`s or mercedes`s latest model car. gorgeous
    Last edited by treobk214; 07/02/2004 at 09:02 PM.
    Spaking of dashboards, I wonder if THB and PalmOne will have the Treo Ace car kit hardware and software (speaking too soon?) ready by it's launch date, unlike the T600!

Also, when one thinks of the improved screen resolution, how third-party GPS systems will have a very noticable improvement, at least visually.

That said, I'll probably be passing on the Treo Ace and wait and see what fall 2005 brings (unless there's some unbeatble deal I can't pass up).
    I made no comment of this being false since my self-imposed embargo on doing so a few days ago. My comment you refer to Woof was simply that if we can trace down the origin of the pictures we can find out what the source was and then we can assure ourselves of the validity of the pictures or not. No, I do not have too much time on my hands and if you only knew the reality of it all you would know that the opposite is true. But this interests me to a very high degree and I should have the right to voice my opinion the same as you. Last I knew I lived in America where we have a Constitution and Due Process as hallmarks of our existance. After all it is the Independence Day holiday. Now to the source of the pictures. I found reference to the article that appeared on the Treo Central pages (the infamous "removed" article and pictures) that refers to the source of them being a Sprint Intranet and that is why Sprint had the legal authority to make it be removed. Thus, the purpose of my looking to find this out was not to prove to myself anything but that this phone may in fact exist. This is the first bridge I have been able to find showing some plausable bridging of the who and where. Maybe, just maybe, knowing this came from a Sprint Intranet I am a bit more convinced this may be real...and after all I do live in reality not in futures.
    Global Posts
    611 Global Posts
    Has any one else noticed on the "new" picture, that there "seems" to be no buttons on the top of the phone and a "rocker" style vol buttons on the side? Also there is some other type of button below it? Could this be a up/down scroll button like what is on the Blackberrys? Or could it be an RL button? Intresting...........
    "When Palm announced today that its new smartphone would run an operating system from Microsoft, it was the equivalent of Coca-Cola agreeing to fill its bottles with Pepsi." ~David M. Ewalt, Forbes Magazine
    ----------------------------------------------------
    My Phone history.....
    Great, Now I can wait 6 months for T-Mo to "certify" the Ace on their network. If there are no upgrade discounts available, I'll probably go sign a contract with Sprint to get an ACE at a better price.
    Quote Originally Posted by gharrod
    I made no comment of this being false since my self-imposed embargo on doing so a few days ago. My comment you refer to Woof was simply that if we can trace down the origin of the pictures we can find out what the source was and then we can assure ourselves of the validity of the pictures or not. No, I do not have too much time on my hands and if you only knew the reality of it all you would know that the opposite is true. But this interests me to a very high degree and I should have the right to voice my opinion the same as you. Last I knew I lived in America where we have a Constitution and Due Process as hallmarks of our existance. After all it is the Independence Day holiday. Now to the source of the pictures. I found reference to the article that appeared on the Treo Central pages (the infamous "removed" article and pictures) that refers to the source of them being a Sprint Intranet and that is why Sprint had the legal authority to make it be removed. Thus, the purpose of my looking to find this out was not to prove to myself anything but that this phone may in fact exist. This is the first bridge I have been able to find showing some plausable bridging of the who and where. Maybe, just maybe, knowing this came from a Sprint Intranet I am a bit more convinced this may be real...and after all I do live in reality not in futures.

That's a great rebuttal. Well said. Have a great 4th, G!
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by Fittske
    Has any one else noticed on the "new" picture, that there "seems" to be no buttons on the top of the phone and a "rocker" style vol buttons on the side? Also there is some other type of button below it? Could this be a up/down scroll button like what is on the Blackberrys? Or could it be an RL button? Intresting...........

great avatar, fittske
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast